Play Nice Random Chat Thread VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doubt it'll happen in Australia anytime soon.

No, Bandt's policy is to harvest unicorn s**t as a source of power.

Politicians need to step aside and let the intelligent people deal with the big issues.

The UK's approach is one to study, as they are relying a lot on market-based solutions rather than a mix-match of public subsidies/private investment like most countries. Not sure it will work as I think it is better to have the best of both worlds, so to speak. The mix-match of nuclear and other technologies is also interesting.

• The UK generates about 20% of its electricity from nuclear, but almost half of current capacity is to be retired by 2025.
  • Coal-powered stations to be shut down by 2025.
  • The UK has implemented a thorough assessment process for new reactor designs and their siting.
  • The UK has privatized power generation and liberalized its electricity market, which together make major capital investments problematic.
  • Construction has commenced on the first of a new generation of nuclear plants. Chinese investment and collaboration is present. The China energy links is something that can become relevant to Australia rather quickly.

All that is true, but more prosaically, the Uk Tories went nuts over Brexit but stayed sane on climate. Our Tories went nuts over climate.

In a perfect world we would have built nuke in the 60s and 70s.

But we didn't, and they take so long and are so expensive to build, there's no point now.

We can - and will - and go net zero carbon in our electricity generation very quickly via renewables, and with the right approach, be exporting green energy to the region via hydrogen.

Nuke is a dead end in the Australian context.

It's like saying we should have gone all in to get Tom Lynch as a key forward when he was a free agent, then our forward line issues would be solved.

A consortium led by Rolls-Royce has announced plans to build up to 16 mini-nuclear plants, referred to as “small modular reactors” (SMR). Rolls-Royce and its partners argue that instead of building nuclear mega-projects, the UK should construct a series of smaller nuclear plants from “modules” made in factories.

Yeah and St Kilda had a plan to win the flag this year.

Look what's actually happened in the real world with UK nuke.

Nuke is a dead end game. If you have it now, yay good, makes life easier.

The future is not building more nuke.

No, Bandt's policy is to harvest unicorn sh*t as a source of power.

Politicians need to step aside and let the intelligent people deal with the big issues.

Bandt's policy is now also policy at the White House and 10 Downing Street.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah and St Kilda had a plan to win the flag this year.

Look what's actually happened in the real world with UK nuke.

Nuke is a dead end game. If you have it now, yay good, makes life easier.

The future is not building more nuke.
If it is on RR’s private dime, then let them have a crack at it and see whether it is workable. Miniaturisation and prefabrication is something you are now seeing heavily in the defence industry worldwide.

I’m mainly on the fusion bandwagon rather than fissure, but it doesn’t hurt having a multilayered energy system as you’ve indicated.

One thing I find fascinating that energy policy is one area where Snake_Baker view is absolutely true.

Electrons don't hold political views. There aren't green electrons or Real Australia electrons or latte sipping electrons.

Yet Snake himself can't actually engage in the debate without crapping on about unicorn s**t and cleaning Flinder's Street station.

The reality is that Green policy on carbon and coal is now accepted worldwide as common sense.

It is the consensus view at the G7 Plus being held right now.

This has moved beyond a partisan political issue to accepted fact in the way we govern our affairs as a species.

If it is on RR’s private dime, then let them have a crack at it and see whether it is workable.

It won't be, it never is.

It was government that made nuke possible and the nuke industry has always relied on enormous direct and indirect subsidy to be plausible.

It won't be, it never is.

It was GOVERNMENT that made nuke possible and the nuke industry has always relied on enormous direct and indirect subsidy to be plausible.
Ergo, the if...

The relationship between private investment and public subsidies is utterly fascinating for nerds like me. I have studied the defence industry in that respect, so I wonder if the same principles apply to CC technology development.

Ergo, the if...

The relationship between private investment and public subsidies is utterly fascinating for nerds like me. I have studied the defence industry in that respect, so I wonder if the same principles apply to CC technology development.

The defence industry in the US is so hilarious, where bits of planes get built in 30 different states to get the necessary votes etc

Can any of our medical/science peeps help me out here?

I was just thinking yesterday how indistinguishable the 21st century seems to be from periods before it, and was disappointed at our rate of innovation in treating diseases. In the 20th century we had vaccines for Polio, basically eradicated TB and Rabies from the developed world, came up with treatments for cancer, etc.

It doesn't feel like we've advanced much from that. Is chemo still pretty damn s**t for the patient? How are we tracking on treatments for the big players like dementia, neurological disorders, immune system disorders, various cancers, arthritis, etc?

Obviously we have a vaccine for COVID but the resources going into that were unprecedented.

What are some cool medical innovations we've had in the past 20 years or so?

Can any of our medical/science peeps help me out here?

I was just thinking yesterday how indistinguishable the 21st century seems to be from periods before it, and was disappointed at our rate of innovation in treating diseases. In the 20th century we had vaccines for Polio, basically eradicated TB and Rabies from the developed world, came up with treatments for cancer, etc.

It doesn't feel like we've advanced much from that. Is chemo still pretty damn sh*t for the patient? How are we tracking on treatments for the big players like dementia, neurological disorders, immune system disorders, various cancers, arthritis, etc?

Obviously we have a vaccine for COVID but the resources going into that were unprecedented.

What are some cool medical innovations we've had in the past 20 years or so?

The 3D printer stuff is astonishing.

The 3D printer stuff is astonishing.

Interesting stuff. Fair call re: keyhole surgery as well, I forgot how much better that is for patient outcomes. A few of the other things look really promising but aren't rolled out as standard yet which is frustrating. I didn't know that re: heart attacks either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back