Random thoughts not worthy of a thread (Part I)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must say IschenkoUBeauty, for someone who is so often allegedly on the piss, you are a remarkably coherent poster. Well done
It's interesting - typically people misspell words etc when they're having a few on the computer. I never seem to miss a beat with spelling or punctuation. But I did however manage to balls up Ishchenko's name in my username when I registered here. Pretty sure I was sober when I registered too. :D

Unfortunately the allocation of wags between them doesn't help you (or any of us really).
Haha no, unfortunately not. Both players are reasonably average personalities and have poor sportsmanship so I guess it's the only distinguishing factor.

How do you eat strawberries?

bHdqd12.jpg
In fairness who actually eats strawberries with cream?!?

For those that have gone/are at uni, is it worth going to lectures, if I'm able to view them online?

I received my timetable and my whole Tuesday is lectures. It takes me well over an hour to get to uni so I'd much rather view them at home if it doesn't make much of a difference.

For those that have gone/are at uni, is it worth going to lectures, if I'm able to view them online?

I received my timetable and my whole Tuesday is lectures. It takes me well over an hour to get to uni so I'd much rather view them at home if it doesn't make much of a difference.

Perhaps I'm biased (I'm a lecturer), but in my view, attendance is way better than online viewing. You are more engaged when you are there.

Are you trying to reduce your travel commitment from 1 day per week to 0 days per week?

Perhaps I'm biased (I'm a lecturer), but in my view, attendance is way better than online viewing. You are more engaged when you are there.

Are you trying to reduce your travel commitment from 1 day per week to 0 days per week?

Haha. I'm trying to reduce it from 5 to 4. My Tuesday is 4 hours of lectures.

Haha. I'm trying to reduce it from 5 to 4. My Tuesday is 4 hours of lectures.

Oh, that's tough. I'm in one of those faculties where we never have 5 contact days a week.

Can you re-arrange your other commitments to get a day off? If not (as I suspect), I suggest you go the first 1 or 2 Tuesdays, then stay at home and view online the next week. You've then got a proper basis for deciding whether or not you need to keep going in on Tuesdays.

Oh, that's tough. I'm in one of those faculties where we never have 5 contact days a week.

Can you re-arrange your other commitments to get a day off? If not (as I suspect), I suggest you go the first 1 or 2 Tuesdays, then stay at home and view online the next week. You've then got a proper basis for deciding whether or not you need to keep going in on Tuesdays.

I have no idea. I'm going into this blind. Haha.

Well obviously I cannot speak from personal experience because "back in my day" as a student (as distinct from the now irritatingly "in the day" - what on earth does that mean?) it was just blackboards and chalk. But I can tell you Engimal that both Ms Horace and young Horace have very successfully used the online facilities for their respective courses.

My view is that provided you are able to focus solely on the online content at home, just as you would (hopefully) attending the lecture, you will do just as well using the online version. And if your combined travel time to and from is more than an hour, then you will save yourself that hour to use towards something else (also hopefully) productively.

Not that I would know I must again stress and far be it for me to contradict one of our most erudite posters in LuvtheKangas. So put my comments down to my sixpence worth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only if you're forced or need to ask the instructor for more details or clarification.

Oh nice what do you lecture in?

Engimal I'm in my last year of a business degree and found i take in more when I actually go as there are just too many distractions at home. What i did find handy is that RMIT let me download the lectures as podcasts so i mainly listen to them on the way in on the train so i was travelling and listening to lectures in one and could pull out pen and paper and quickly write something down if it was important, so if you're commuting a fair bit you might find that handy too.

Oh nice what do you lecture in?

Engimal I'm in my last year of a business degree and found i take in more when I actually go as there are just too many distractions at home. What i did find handy is that RMIT let me download the lectures as podcasts so i mainly listen to them on the way in on the train so i was travelling and listening to lectures in one and could pull out pen and paper and quickly write something down if it was important, so if you're commuting a fair bit you might find that handy too.

I think I might devise something similar. UTAS allows me to download lectures. I think I might give some lectures a miss and then watch them on my laptop as I travel in on the bus for other lectures or tutorials.

I think I might devise something similar. UTAS allows me to download lectures. I think I might give some lectures a miss and then watch them on my laptop as I travel in on the bus for other lectures or tutorials.

Good luck with it all anyway bud, Uni life is pretty good, such a big difference to yr 12 both work wise and lifestyle wise you'll be right!

IMO it comes down to a matter of personal preference or efficiency. I'm an online, off-campus student and I finally completed my first year of study last year after dropping out twice previously when I was an on-campus student. I dropped out because it was 2+ hours to get there and 2+ hours back home and sometimes I was only there for a 1 hour lecture or tute. I just felt it wasn't worth it, and when you factor in the cost of travel and fiood whilst you're there it gets quite expensive as well. Now I've done a full year of online lectures and learning I feel that learning online is far more flexible and easier to fit into your schedule, it also provides the opportunity to pause lectures and take more comprehensive notes with less risk of missing something. When anyone asks me I always recommend listening to lectures online.

In any case, good luck with your studies. I hope you enjoy it.

Yes and no, lecturers usually put up power points and lectures on the uni site, so you may as well stay home on some days. For some subjects its better being there in person to ask questions about assessments and exams etc.

As long as the taped lectures are good quality and you have the self control to sit down and listen to them that night with no distraction, listening to lectures is fine.

The issue comes when the recording software doesn't work correctly and you're left with nothing but the lecture slides (if provided by the lecturer) to try and go on.

Had a day I used to just listen to lectures for (1 lecture with 2 hrs travel time) and got caught out a couple times when the software screwed up. Imagine trying to learn the life of Escherichia Coli going by pictures.

Hahaha! That's probably closer to the truth. I also used to piss off from the Uni class early (get my name marked off then leave) so I could go to the bottleshop, get home and get on the piss. :D
Amateur, get pissed at Uni and then pick up a uni bird, most of them are pretty fit up my way, particularly the teachers. Worst is law and ancient history, total sasuage fest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back