Kemp
Jako
Cousins
Mainy
Kerr
Glass
Cox
I need more information.

Do you reckon you could break it down a bit more? Maybe include their first names, positions, strengths and weaknesses, favourite colours etc?

So much quality at the top end of the list.

It'll be a huge waste if we don't.
The only thing that will set us back is if Glass, Cox, Kerr, Embley all retire in a rush.

Embley can be replaced but the other three are still pretty important, even if Naitanui has taken over in the ruck.

I need more information.

Do you reckon you could break it down a bit more? Maybe include their first names, positions, strengths and weaknesses, favourite colours etc?

I don't know their favourite colours.

Suma is working underneath Ross.

Jakovich's first name is Glen.

Woosha's strength is pharmacy.

Kerr's weakness was pharmacy.

I don't know their favourite colours.

Suma is working underneath Ross.

Jakovich's first name is Glen.

Woosha's strength is pharmacy.

Kerr's weakness was pharmacy.
Hmmm... can you present it in some kind of chart? Maybe a balloon graph or a Venn diagram?

I'd have Dean Cox at #1. He's not only an all-time great of the West Coast Eagles but of the history of Australian Rules. He's arguably the greatest ruckman ever, too.

Chris Judd is an all-time great, too. I'd have him at #2.

While eastern states folk debate who was better out of Voss / Buckley / Hird etc, I'd take Ben Cousins over all of them in a heart beat. He could change a game through sheer will. He was unstoppable at times. He'd be my #3.

Glen Jackovich was a great CHB. Truly a dominant force. #4, among many outstanding and worthy players, is deserving, IMO.

#5 is Dean Kemp. From humble beginnings to become a champion. A true legend of WC.

Peter Sumich at #6. Star FF that played in a time of many star KPF's around the comp. How good rival FF's were doesn't diminish how good Suma was though. Very deserving of his placing here.
He could kick a football like it'd been shot from a howitzer. The man knew how to roost a footy. Seeing him kick for goal from 55m out and launch it 15 metres into the crowd was awe-inspiring.

#7, IMO, is Daniel Kerr. With his football playing career coming to its conclusion, I've seen enough of him to compare to Eagles of the past. Kerr's feats have him well established as a great of the WCE. Will be better recognised as such upon his retirement from playing. Of this I have no doubt. His best is amazing. Truly an elite player.

Peter Matera is likely to go higher in the view of many others. He was arguably the most spectacular, and certainly one of the most gifted, of all Eagles. Being at #8 is no under-rating of him as a player. His best was as good as I've seen from any Eagle. His best wasn't on display as consistently as those above him though - hence his position. A star of the competition and a great of the WCE. His traits as a player make him the mould of a wingman that every club is looking to draft and develop into.

#9 is Guy McKenna. He was a general across the half-back line in that he read the game so well, directed play - with and without the ball, stopped his man, rebounded brilliantly and was so dependable. He was formidable in defence. An impenetrable wall. Not only amongst the greats of WC, but recognised as a great of the game by being included in the hall of fame. A true delight to watch.

At #10 it was a tough choice to choose between Ashley McIntosh or Darren Glass. But my choice is McIntosh; for his game and attributes were better rounded than the linear, Glass. McIntosh was a beast of a FB. His mix of strength, speed and utility made him a rare player. Had the strength to out-muscle opposing behemoths of 15-20 years ago, when physical size was the go for a KPP, unlike the trimmed down and more athletic KPP's of today. He had the straight line speed to best many a midfielder and could play at both ends of the ground. A FB that rebounded like a HBF too. He doesn't get the kudos of the very good but lesser players, IMO, like Scarlett and the overrated Stephen Silvagni, due to the ignorance of those mostly from the east. As is Peter Matera the very mould of a wingman, McIntosh, likewise, is the mould of a FB.

Kerr over Matera. Tell him he's dreaming.

Cousins is number 1 though. Cox 2.

Is "Tell him he's dreaming" a cry for like-minded folk to shoot down my view? Why didn't you just tell me that "I'm dreaming" yourself, if that's your view? At least I gave a reason why I hold my particular view.

Matera is right up there with the elite of the club, anywhere from 1 - 4 would be fine by me. Form only dropped off for a season at most before Malthouse turned him into a halfback flanker and his career took off again. Agree that Kerr is not quite deserving of top 10. McIntosh vs Glass is a tricky one, Macca was certainly a better player in his prime but Glass was captain and maybe played better for longer.

1. Chris Judd
2. Ben Cousins
3. Peter Matera
4. Glen Jakovich
5. Dean Kemp
6. Dean Cox
7. Guy McKenna
8. John Worsfold
9. Ashley McIntosh
10. Darren Glass

I'm going to give it a go too, purely for discussion purposes.

This is my opinion based on things like dominance of position, importance to team, leadership, skill, excitement and all round awesomeness.

1) G.Jakovich. Still my favourite and will always be my favourite. Was the only CHB capable of beating W.Carey consistently, a player who some rate as the best of the modern era. (J.Darling may end up coming pretty close - must be the number they wear)
2) P.Matera. Super exciting to watch and his pace and skill was outrageous.
3) B.Cousins. Inspirational leader who could break games open. Ran until he was sick. So sad to see his life spiral out of control.
4) D.Cox. Our best ever ruckman who single handedly won games for us. Will be the hardest player to replace in the next year or two.
5) J.Worsfold. Probably can't split him and Bluey, but the simple fact is he has lead us to all three of our premierships. What a tough bastard he is/was.
6) C.Judd. Undoubtedly our biggest ever talent (at this stage) but drops down the list due to pissing off to Carlton. That hurt my feelings :( Trade starting to look pretty good in hindsight, and I enjoyed his time with us and the success that came with it.
7) C.Mainwaring. My memories of Mainy (being Melbourne based) are of him trotting around on a wing at Waverly Park taking the piss out of the opposition, running around all day. His comeback after serious injury was inspirational.
8) D.Kerr. Despite a few seasons ruined by injury, the bloke gives his all and was the unsung hero in a dominant midfield (not as unsung as C.Fletcher). Twice runner up in the brownlow shows his class.
9) D.Glass. Tough to split him and McIntosh and both should make the list, but I'm going with Glassy purely because of his outstanding captaincy during a tough period, leading an astonishing rebuild and claiming AA honours again this year.
10) Could be a number of players but I'm going with D. Kemp. Norm smith and club champion in a premiership year.

Just my 2c worth, obviously we all have different opinions but this is mine!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt Ninja, I'm sure there's one or two others in the current batch who could end up on this list too.

I am a little young to remember seeing some of our early greats but for me its

1. Jakovich.
2. Cousins (Could have been number 1 if it wasn't fro drug problems)
3. Cox
4. Matera
5. Kemp
6. Glass
7. Judd (Leaving HURT)
8. McKenna
9. Worsfold
10. Kerr

HM: Mainwairing, Sumich, McIntosh and probably my favourite eagle Wirrapanda.

for me to be classed as our greatest player surely you would have to play out whole career at WCE and been great through most of it.

1. Matera- deserved 3 brownlows- so close
2. Cousins- most consistent player in our history- cant remember him having a bad year in his career
3. D Cox- all time best ruckman in the game- change the game with his work ethic
4. Jakovich- one of the best CHB in the game- got the better of Wayne Carey- that's how good
5. Worsfold- best leader of our club and inspirational courage for the ball.
5. Judd- short career for us but so many achievements in that time- wasn't a good leader though
6. Kemp- ball winning ability was second to none and very smart user.
7. Glass- our best Full back
8. McKenna- Good Captain, great backman
9. Kerr- all time greatest player by hand- magical handballer. Injuries prevent him from top 5
10. Phil Matera, McIntosh, Mainwaring, Wirrapanda, Eric McKenzie

for me to be classed as our greatest player surely you would have to play out whole career at WCE and been great through most of it.

1. Matera- deserved 3 brownlows- so close
2. Cousins- most consistent player in our history- cant remember him having a bad year in his career
3. D Cox- all time best ruckman in the game- change the game with his work ethic
4. Jakovich- one of the best CHB in the game- got the better of Wayne Carey- that's how good
5. Worsfold- best leader of our club and inspirational courage for the ball.
5. Judd- short career for us but so many achievements in that time- wasn't a good leader though
6. Kemp- ball winning ability was second to none and very smart user.
7. Glass- our best Full back
8. McKenna- Good Captain, great backman
9. Kerr- all time greatest player by hand- magical handballer. Injuries prevent him from top 5
10. Phil Matera, McIntosh, Mainwaring, Wirrapanda, Eric McKenzie

Hmmm.

Peter Sumich at #6. Star FF that played in a time of many star KPF's around the comp. How good rival FF's were doesn't diminish how good Suma was though. Very deserving of his placing here.
Too high, I think.

How many really good seasons did he actually have? Four? 1990-93?

Was on the way down by the second flag and only played 150 games.

Peter Matera is likely to go higher in the view of many others. He was arguably the most spectacular, and certainly one of the most gifted, of all Eagles. Being at #8 is no under-rating of him as a player.
I think it probably is, isn't it?

Has Sumich covered, for example. Surely.

At #10 it was a tough choice to choose between Ashley McIntosh or Darren Glass. But my choice is McIntosh; for his game and attributes were better rounded than the linear, Glass.
I prefer Glass for his leadership and longevity.

On the other side of 30, Glass is still the league's best FB. Sure McIntosh was a great FB but I reckon Glass has been better for longer. I know that AA selection certainly isn't the be-all and end-all but Glass's four appearances suggest he has been among the league's best 1-2 FBs for more seasons than McIntosh was.

For mine:

1. Jakovich
2. Matera
3. Cousins
4. Cox
5. Judd
6. Glass
7. McKenna
8. Kemp
9. Worsfold
10. McIntosh

Pretty solid on the top six. Could switch Kemp and McKenna, although McKenna was a three-time AA and won B&Fs 10 years apart. That kind of swayed me.

My only other question mark is over whether I'm giving Worsfold too much kudos as a player. Is he more deserving than, for example, Mainwaring or Kerr? I'm going to say yes on the basis of his leadership and consistency setting the tone in the early 90s. He was the most influential player in establishing the ethos of those premiership sides. Can't really leave out the dual premiership captain, can you?

If Kerr can finish his career strongly, with 50 more games of a high standard, he could still leapfrog a few. I'd like to pick him but those lost years between 2008-10, when he should have been at his peak, have to count against him.

Well might have had a go previously, but Glass and Cox have deservedly jumped up the rankings.

1. Cousins
2. Cox
3. Matera
4. Jakovich
5. Judd
5. McKenna
7. Glass
8. Worsfold
9. Kemp
10. Kerr

HM's: Lewis, Sumich, Wirrpanda, Mainwaring, McIntosh, Banfield.

Is "Tell him he's dreaming" a cry for like-minded folk to shoot down my view? Why didn't you just tell me that "I'm dreaming" yourself, if that's your view? At least I gave a reason why I hold my particular view.
Tell him he's dreaming is actually a quote from a popular australian film. Anyways Daniel Kerr is a very good footballer, but not as great as Peter Matera.

I'm going to give it a go too, purely for discussion purposes.

This is my opinion based on things like dominance of position, importance to team, leadership, skill, excitement and all round awesomeness.

1) G.Jakovich. Still my favourite and will always be my favourite. Was the only CHB capable of beating W.Carey consistently, a player who some rate as the best of the modern era. (J.Darling may end up coming pretty close - must be the number they wear)
2) P.Matera. Super exciting to watch and his pace and skill was outrageous.
3) B.Cousins. Inspirational leader who could break games open. Ran until he was sick. So sad to see his life spiral out of control.
4) D.Cox. Our best ever ruckman who single handedly won games for us. Will be the hardest player to replace in the next year or two.
5) J.Worsfold. Probably can't split him and Bluey, but the simple fact is he has lead us to all three of our premierships. What a tough bastard he is/was.
6) C.Judd. Undoubtedly our biggest ever talent (at this stage) but drops down the list due to pissing off to Carlton. That hurt my feelings :( Trade starting to look pretty good in hindsight, and I enjoyed his time with us and the success that came with it.
7) C.Mainwaring. My memories of Mainy (being Melbourne based) are of him trotting around on a wing at Waverly Park taking the piss out of the opposition, running around all day. His comeback after serious injury was inspirational.
8) D.Kerr. Despite a few seasons ruined by injury, the bloke gives his all and was the unsung hero in a dominant midfield (not as unsung as C.Fletcher). Twice runner up in the brownlow shows his class.
9) D.Glass. Tough to split him and McIntosh and both should make the list, but I'm going with Glassy purely because of his outstanding captaincy during a tough period, leading an astonishing rebuild and claiming AA honours again this year.
10) Could be a number of players but I'm going with D. Kemp. Norm smith and club champion in a premiership year.

Just my 2c worth, obviously we all have different opinions but this is mine!
Where the * is Guy McKenna?? Easily better than Mainy, Worsfold, Kerr and Glass.

A few things I have learnt.

1. I think it's crazy so many people go with Jako at the top. IMO it's Cousins just shading Matera. Jako somewhere in the top 5. Clear 1 and 2 though is Cousins/Matera.

2. Not enough love for Chris Lewis.

3. Probably too much love for D.Glass. I love Glassy but some people have him ranked higher than Bluey?? Craziness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back