Opinion Rank these players in order from 1-6: Gary Ablett Jnr, Nathan Buckley,James Hird, Chris Judd, Dustin Martin, Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Or Dusty 2020 the best of them all starting just before half time.
No he isn't. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and the majority by an extreamly large margin disagree with you. As I stated in a previous you are big footys broken clock unfortunatly for you you are the digital variety not the analog. One thing I give you credit for is standing your ground on your opinion no matter how wrong you are. Monty Pythons Black Knight showed less spine

No he isn't. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and the majority by an extreamly large margin disagree with you. As I stated in a previous you are big footys broken clock unfortunatly for you you are the digital variety not the analog. One thing I give you credit for is standing your ground on your opinion no matter how wrong you are. Monty Pythons Black Knight showed less spine
Yep, there are players at the coalface putting their teams on their backs, and directing others as on-field coaches from the middle - Voss, Selwood, Hodge and Pendlebury.

Absolutely, Martin was influential in that 2020 Grand Final, but as a finisher after the work at the coalface was done by others from the back half and centre, and there was no on-field coaching as such in the way we saw it from the aforementioned players.

Martin was a great individual player, but only a deluded Martin Fanboi would see my post above and raise Martin's name in that discussion.

Yep, there are players at the coalface putting their teams on their backs, and directing others as on-field coaches from the middle - Voss, Selwood, Hodge and Pendlebury.

Absolutely, Martin was influential in that 2020 Grand Final, but as a finisher after the work at the coalface was done by others from the back half and centre, and there was no on-field coaching as such in the way we saw it from the aforementioned players.

Martin was a great individual player, but only a deluded Martin Fanboi would see my post above and raise Martin's name in that discussion.

21 and 4 in reduced gametime in a comeback from behind win is better than any of those you put up. Averaged out it’s 25 and 5 in full game time. Who’s was better?

21 and 4 in reduced gametime in a comeback from behind win is better than any of those you put up. Averaged out it’s 25 and 5 in full game time. Who’s was better?
We're talking about the impact of leadership.

Go to your Dusty thread I'd you want to crap on about Martin's 2020 Grand Final again. I'm not interested and it's not relevant to the discussion.

We're talking about the impact of leadership.

Go to your Dusty thread I'd you want to crap on about Martin's 2020 Grand Final again. I'm not interested and it's not relevant to the discussion.

It’s in game inspiration mate from on field actions like your other examples. He started the comeback. But whatever ignore it like usual

I can't recall if I've posted my thoughts here previously (might have changed since then even if yes), but I think I'd go:

1. Judd
2. Ablett jnr.
3. Voss
4. Hird
5. Buckley
6. Martin

But 1-2 are very close, and 4-5 are very close. All six are obviously unreal players, and it's been great watching each of them. Lots of others in the conversation, too, in the very top bracket of the game.

EDIT: Well really the whole 1-6 list is very close.

Last edited:
It’s in game inspiration mate from on field actions like your other examples. He started the comeback. But whatever ignore it like usual
What would you know about in game inspiration having never played the game? You have a dig at other posters ignoring what you see as facts but when you are proven wrong you yourself choose to ignore what is put in front of you. I'm glad I got a thread ban on the Dusty thread. FYI IMO Aker in full flight makes Dusty look like an Auskick kid and he would have been lucky to get a touch on Greg Williams

I call BS on Voss the bloke was a gun. Back your mouth up and name all those better than him in his time 6-99
He may have confused Voss with Martin.

Voss absolutely in this discussion - was rated the best player in the competition via the multiple key awards on three separate occasions (Brownlow in 1996, and AFLPA MVP in 2002 and 2003), then you take into account his leadership (including the AFLPA Best Captain on 4 separate occasions).

I can understand why some would rate him at or near the top of the tree.

Last edited:
Do you realise Judd won a Brownlow 6 years apart (in year 3 and year 9), and was favourite on Brownlow night in year 10?

Or are you saying he didn't have the longevity that GAJ did?
Yeah, it was more that GAJ seemed to be at the peak for longer.
If it was for 1 peak season, I'd go Judd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I call BS on Voss the bloke was a gun. Back your mouth up and name all those better than him in his time 6-99
in his team, Black, Lappin, Leppitsch, Akermanis, Johnson, Brown, White, Lynch.
As a leader he had few peers, but wayyyy overr rated when it comes to playing ability
IMO

in his team, Black, Lappin, Leppitsch, Akermanis, Johnson, Brown, White, Lynch.
As a leader he had few peers, but wayyyy overr rated when it comes to playing ability
IMO
I think part of it is just him having a badass last name and was “tough”

He may have confused Voss with Martin.

Voss absolutely in this discussion - was rated the best player in the competition via the multiple key awards on three separate occasions (Brownlow in 1996, and AFLPA MVP in 2002 and 2003), then you take into account his leadership (including the AFLPA Best Captain on 4 separate occasions).

I can understand why some would rate him at or near the top of the tree.
Would have to be sitting on one of the top few branches for GOAT sledge as well

'Nobody'.....

That's what a team generally needs to win a high quality Grand Final against a high quality team.
I have been following this discussion and I understand where you are coming from Fadge. It is an interesting position. 1. Do we award a set amount of points for a game (only so many 7s, 8s and 9s given) or 2. Do we look at the quality of the performance all things considered, i.e., opposition, big game occasion, intensity, etc.
If we are using the same rating system across the league then the quality of the output and performance of the players that you mentioned in a GF all things considered should be rated higher that say a North vs West Coat Home and Away. Sorry to North and Eagles fans but you were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I have been following this discussion and I understand where you are coming from Fadge. It is an interesting position. 1. Do we award a set amount of points for a game (only so many 7s, 8s and 9s given) or 2. Do we look at the quality of the performance all things considered, i.e., opposition, big game occasion, intensity, etc.
If we are using the same rating system across the league then the quality of the output and performance of the players that you mentioned in a GF all things considered should be rated higher that say a North vs West Coat Home and Away. Sorry to North and Eagles fans but you were in the wrong place at the wrong time.
It's a pretty simple concept.

You've just got to be able to watch a game and make a judgement; you may refer to the stats sheet at the end of the game as an additional data point, but for many people on BigFooty, it seems the stats sheet is their ONLY data point.

I agree that Bobby Hill was the best player on the ground in the Grand Final, but he wasn't classes above every other player. If he had have kicked one less goal, and either Crisp, Daicos, De Goey Pendlebury or Mitchell had a few more possessions, one of them would likely have been awarded the Norm Smith Medal.

The poster I was debating with simply couldn't understand that concept, saw that Hill received the maximum 15 Norm Smith votes, and concluded he was miles ahead of everyone else on the ground. It wouldn't surprise me if he actually didn't even watch the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back