Opinion Rank these players in order from 1-6: Gary Ablett Jnr, Nathan Buckley,James Hird, Chris Judd, Dustin Martin, Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate I have, out of 8 GFs for both Ablett’s we’ve exactly agreed on 6/8. Take away the pumping up of 07 and 09 and we are golden.

Lol. No you haven’t.

Tell us again how being in the best handful of players on the ground is being a flop in the biggest game of the year mate.

Tell us how leading all comers for tackles (in a game where the other team barely has the ball) having 20 and a goal, is ‘poor’. Come on mate we are dying to hear it.

Probably because the only player you ever watch can hardly lay a tackle to save his life

Not by me.

And not by the Geelong supporters posting in these threads.

And not by people I know who understand football and watched the 2007 to 2010 finals series'.

They're all great finals players, but GAJ was #1 during the 2007 to 2010 period.

Though happy for you to share any 'analysis' that concludes otherwise, and not just a throwaway statement....

Just to clarify and this is the same problem with the 07-14 best player in the game crap. Do you think GAJ was the best finals player in each season from 2007-2010 or just the overall period?

Mate I have, out of 8 GFs for both Ablett’s we’ve exactly agreed on 6/8. Take away the pumping up of 07 and 09 and we are golden.

I might be harsh but only playing “good” when you are the best player in the match is a flop.

You just like to live in a world where nobody points out the Abletts deficiencies. It’s ok, we know.
Does a player have to be in the top 2 players on the ground to be considered to have had a 'great' Grand Final?

Collingwood players who I felt had 'great' 2023 Grand Finals:
Hill
Crisp
De Goey
N. Daicos
Sidebottom
Mitchell
Pendlebury

Does a player have to be in the top 2 players on the ground to be considered to have had a 'great' Grand Final?

Collingwood players who I felt had 'great' 2023 Grand Finals:
Hill
Crisp
De Goey
N. Daicos
Sidebottom
Mitchell
Pendlebury

If everybody is great, then nobody is.

Pendlebury playing 1 good qtr sticks out like a sore thumb on the list. Even trying to equate that to Hills game by putting it in the same tier is embarrassing.

If everybody is great, then nobody is.

Pendlebury playing 1 good qtr sticks out like a sore thumb on the list. Even trying to equate that to Hills game by putting it in the same tier is embarrassing.
'Everybody' = 7 players.

Wowee.

Who else of the 7 listed players would you not consider played a 'great' Grand Final?

If you ranked their games out of 100, what rankings would you give them?

(And I am assuming you actually watched the game, though one can't be too sure of that...)

Last edited:
'Everybody' = 7 players.

Wowee.

Who else of the 7 listed players would you not consider played a 'great' Grand Final?

(And I am assuming you actually watched the game, though one can't be too sure of that...)

Hill
Crisp
Daicos

Are the only great games

Yes I did, the rest had good games but not great like these guys. There is an obvious tier level difference between them.

Or do you think they are all on the same level?
If I did Fadge Ratings, all would be between 80 and 90 out of 100.

I actually thought Mitchell was our 2nd best player, but that's my personal opinion.

You don't get many bigger and more important goals than the two De Goey kicked, in addition to the grunt work he did over the course of the day.

What would your ratings out of 100 be for each of them?

If I did Fadge Ratings, all would be between 80 and 90 out of 100.

What would your ratings out of 100 be for each of them?

Hill 90+

Crisp 85

Daicos 80

Rest are 75 or lower

This is actually a reasonable opinion and you know it.

Nobody has 7+ players having 8-9/10 games that sounds stupid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'Nobody'.....

That's what a team generally needs to win a high quality Grand Final against a high quality team.

Mate you have T Mitchell going at 8-9/10 with 24 and 0 at a comparable level to Hills game. Are you drunk or what? You actually have no clue and your eye test needs to go to spec savers.

Mate you have T Mitchell going at 8-9/10 with 24 and 0 at a comparable level to Hills game. Are you drunk or what? You actually have no clue and your eye test needs to go to spec savers.
Were Eddie Betts and Jude Bolton also drunk when they gave the Norm Smith Medal votes, and judged Mitchell 2nd and 3rd best on ground respectively?

You really need to be able to judge a player's performance in a game of footy beyond looking at a stats sheet.

Were Eddie Betts and Jude Bolton also drunk when they gave the Norm Smith Medal votes, and judged Mitchell 2nd and 3rd best on ground respectively?

You really need to be able to judge a player's performance in a game of footy beyond looking at a stats sheet.

For a grand total of 3. Hill gets 15

Hence I’d give the 18 and 4, 15 NS vote a 9/10

And the 24 and 0, 3 NS vote a 7.5/10

This is not unreasonable at all. They are clearly not on the same tier.

For a grand total of 3. Hill gets 15

Hence I’d give the 18 and 4, 15 NS vote a 9/10

And the 24 and 0, 3 NS vote a 7.5/10

This is not unreasonable at all. They are clearly not on the same tier.
I didn't say they were on the same tier. I said they were all between 80 and 90 out of 100.

I said the 7 players all played 'GREAT' games; using your system where the next level is 'GOOD'.

Anyway, you're continuing to show how little idea you have about football, so feel free to keep going...

I didn't say they were on the same tier. I said they were all between 80 and 90 out of 100.

I said the 7 players all played 'GREAT' games; using your system where the next level is 'GOOD'.

Anyway, you're continuing to show how little idea you have about football, so feel free to keep going...

Dude you put them all in “Great” tier. Like wtf.
Anyway you clearly had a big night or something, time to go to bed it’s 3pm. This stuff isn’t relevant to the thread.

My 5

Voss
GAJ
Judd
Hird
Buckley

IMO Martin's name shouldn't be on the same list as the others, some great performances including in GFs but nowhere close to competing with the others over the expanses of their relative careers.

GAJ and Voss a toss-up for me, the thing that stopped me from having GAJ at number one is that IMO he wasn't a great leader, Voss was one of the very best. I value leadership more than individual awards.

My 5

Voss
GAJ
Judd
Hird
Buckley

IMO Martin's name shouldn't be on the same list as the others, some great performances including in GFs but nowhere close to competing with the others over the expanses of their relative careers.

GAJ and Voss a toss-up for me, the thing that stopped me from having GAJ at number one is that IMO he wasn't a great leader, Voss was one of the very best. I value leadership more than individual awards.
Great post.

I don't think people put enough consideration into the impact of leadership in discussions of this nature.

There aren't many players in the history of the game who could have done what Voss did in the last quarter of the 2002 Grand Final, or what Pendlebury did in the last quarter of the 2023 Grand Final. I reckon Selwood was the best leader since Voss who would run out onto the ground and say 'Come with me boys, we ain't losing this game' - the way he did as a 35 year old in the first half of the 2022 Grand Final. Why I also rate Hodge in the top 10 players to have debuted since the turn of the century.

Great post.

I don't think people put enough consideration into the impact of leadership in discussions of this nature.

There aren't many players in the history of the game who could have done what Voss did in the last quarter of the 2002 Grand Final, or what Pendlebury did in the last quarter of the 2023 Grand Final. I reckon Selwood was the best leader since Voss who would run out onto the ground and say 'Come with me boys, we ain't losing this game' - the way he did as a 35 year old in the first half of the 2023 Grand Final. Why I also rate Hodge in the top 10 players to have debuted since the turn of the century.

Or Dusty 2020 the best of them all starting just before half time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back