Rate a song- i was only 19-Red Gum

Remove this Banner Ad

2/10- ppl may say 'where is your patriotism?', however music is an art, and this song is not a very well constructed piece of art, so hence the bad rating, not to say i hate it though

Cash-in job.
Song is shit:thumbsdown:

Great song.

Such a pity the lyrics were stolen, without attribution or financial compensation, from a Vietnam veteran who was a poet.

Great song.

Such a pity the lyrics were stolen, without attribution or financial compensation, from a Vietnam veteran who was a poet.

So people keep saying. Is there any proof to this allegation, or is this just another urban legend?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So people keep saying. Is there any proof to this allegation, or is this just another urban legend?

I knew the wife of the bloke who wrote it. We used to drink together at a pub in New St, Brighton, Melbourne. They spent five, unsuccessful years in litigation about it. If Vietnam didn't destroy him, having his work stolen without attribution certainly did. If I were him, I'd have been less than happy too.

urban legend

I knew the wife of the bloke who wrote it. We used to drink together at a pub in New St, Brighton, Melbourne. They spent five, unsuccessful years in litigation about it. If Vietnam didn't destroy him, having his work stolen without attribution certainly did. If I were him, I'd have been less than happy too.
Who to believe, who to believe :p

Great song, and as far as I am aware John Schuman did acutually go to Vietnam.

One line that I have always found a little strange is the line about Frankie kicking a mine the day that Mankind kicked the moon. Well if the moon landing was in July and he was going home in June, that means he still had at least 11 months to serve. (Or am I being to picky)?

One line that I have always found a little strange is the line about Frankie kicking a mine the day that Mankind kicked the moon. Well if the moon landing was in July and he was going home in June, that means he still had at least 11 months to serve. (Or am I being to picky)?

If he did it was on a ConTiki tour.

I recently learnt it on the guitar.....and i played it to a mate on his voice mail while he was at the albion park dawn service this year because i couldn't make it....

good song.... great lyrics...good melody....well sang

He was *meant* to go home in June, but didn't. The Wikipedia article on the song covers this quite nicely:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Walk_in_the_Light_Green

They played this song to my platoon right after marching out of Kapooka, it was moving to say the least.

Ive gotta admit, I had never heard of the song before 20 to 1 the other night, but after listening to it (both Redgum and The Herd versions) ive gotta say its a great song.

Being 20, I cant really relate to it, but I can imagine what effect it would have on Vietnam veterans. For me, it rates up there with Khe Sanh as the best "war story" song, which says alot since Khe Sanh is and always will be my favourite song.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back