Game Day Rd 1 v Eagles-Today- Roof Open

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really think a 'take the game on with confidence' attitude will be the difference for us.

The silver lining with these injuries is that quite a few younglings will take the field. When a kid debuts they usually feel all eyes on them. Adds to the perceived pressure. But If say, Simpkins, Preuss, Hrovat, Mountford, Williams, Durdin and EVW all pull on the Royal Blue for the first time together they share that perceived pressure. All of the above mentioned also seem pretty unawed and ready to take the game.

Simpkins misses a banana on the boundary? No worries, we'll get it back!!

Last edited:

As probably the next pure mid in line, Cunnington's suspension could mean an opportunity for Mountford in round 1 to become, what could potentially be, one of six or seven North debutants on the day.

Brad better start jumper presentation and the pre-match speeches detailing what number player they are, why every player was brought to the club and how they just have to play their role the day before I think.

F*** could have atleast spelled that one blokes name right.

And surely he will start on the ground rather than the bench given we have no-one else available on field. Mind you he would need to be rotated off pretty early, playing against 18 on his lonesome.

As probably the next pure mid in line, Cunnington's suspension could mean an opportunity for Mountford in round 1 to become, what could potentially be, one of six or seven North debutants on the day.

Brad better start jumper presentation and the pre-match speeches detailing what number player they are, why every player was brought to the club and how they just have to play their role the day before I think.

More debuts in Rd 1 than in the previous 3 years?

We don't want McGovern running around all day taking intercept marks, or Hurn using his nice kick without any pressure, forward pressure needs to be solid all day.

Preuss to play leading forward to start the game. Problem solved.

Could be as many as in the last 2 years, but we debuted a number of players in 2014 (although Warren and Tippett hardly count).

North Melbourne debuts:

2016: Ryan Clarke (AFL Debut), Corey Wagner (AFL Debut), Farren Ray (Change of Clubs), Jed Anderson (Change of Clubs)

2015: Trent Dumont (AFL Debut), Jarrad Waite (Change of Clubs), Shaun Higgins (Change of clubs)

2014: Luke McDonald (AFL Debut), Daniel Currie (AFL Debut), Ben Brown (AFL Debut), Max Warren (AFL Debut), Kayne Turner (AFL Debut), Mason Wood (AFL Debut), Nick Dal Santo (Change of Clubs), Robin Nahas (Change of Clubs), Joel Tippett (Change of Clubs)

Total: 9 AFL Debuts, 7 Change of Club debuts.

Potential North Debuts in Round 1: Almost certainties - Nathan Hrovat (Change of Clubs), Marley Williams (Change of Clubs), Sam Durdin (AFL Debut), Ed Wickers-Willis (AFL debut).
Maybes (in order of likelihood) - Braydon Preuss (AFL Debut), Declan Mountford (AFL Debut), Jy Simpkin (AFL debut), Mitch Hibberd (AFL Debut)

Preuss to play leading forward to start the game. Problem solved.
Leading straight at a defender???

I could honestly see Preuss flattening someone who dared drop in front of him on the lead. not even illegally ala Lockett. Just a flat out Vesper being hit by a Mac Truck.

Could be as many as in the last 2 years, but we debuted a number of players in 2014 (although Warren and Tippett hardly count).

North Melbourne debuts:

2016: Ryan Clarke (AFL Debut), Corey Wagner (AFL Debut), Farren Ray (Change of Clubs), Jed Anderson (Change of Clubs)

2015: Trent Dumont (AFL Debut), Jarrad Waite (Change of Clubs), Shaun Higgins (Change of clubs)

2014: Luke McDonald (AFL Debut), Daniel Currie (AFL Debut), Ben Brown (AFL Debut), Max Warren (AFL Debut), Kayne Turner (AFL Debut), Mason Wood (AFL Debut), Nick Dal Santo (Change of Clubs), Robin Nahas (Change of Clubs), Joel Tippett (Change of Clubs)

Total: 9 AFL Debuts, 7 Change of Club debuts.

Potential North Debuts in Round 1: Almost certainties - Nathan Hrovat (Change of Clubs), Marley Williams (Change of Clubs), Sam Durdin (AFL Debut), Ed Wickers-Willis (AFL debut).
Maybes (in order of likelihood) - Braydon Preuss (AFL Debut), Declan Mountford (AFL Debut), Jy Simpkin (AFL debut), Mitch Hibberd (AFL Debut)
McKay also a small chance I think, considering the status of our Kpf stocks at the moment :(

My rolling RD1 22 due to form/availability

Williams Tarrant Durdin
McDonald Thompson MacMillan
Clarke Ziebell Simpkin
Thomas Waite Higgins
Daw Brown Hrovat
Goldy Atley Dumont
Mountford Swallow Gibson Wagner

Emg. Preuss, EVW, Hibberd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Currently, this is the side I'd like to see in Round 1:

FB:
M Williams Tarrant Thompson

HB: Macmillan Durdin McDonald

C: Gibson Clarke Atley

HF: Higgins Waite Thomas

FF: Hrovat Daw Turner

R: Goldstein* Ziebell Dumont

I: Vickers-Willis Swallow Preuss Mountford

E: Wagner Simpkin McKay

Injured/Suspended: Anderson Jacobs Cunnington Ahern Garner Wood Junker Brown
Not Considered: Mullett Wright Nielson Watson J Williams Fordham Larkey Taylor

I still think that's a pretty strong side considering our availability issues, particularly the backline which has somehow become one of our strongest lines after being our weakness forever. I do worry about getting smashed in the midfield though, we really don't bat very deep, particularly with Cunnington's suspension.

My rolling RD1 22 due to form/availability

Williams Tarrant Durdin
McDonald Thompson MacMillan
Clarke Ziebell Simpkin
Thomas Waite Higgins
Daw Brown Hrovat
Goldy Atley Dumont
Mountford Swallow Gibson Wagner

Emg. Preuss, EVW, Hibberd

No Ed?

He'd be top 5 in the JLT MVP award.

Part of the back 6 now.

Thompson - Tarrant - Williams
McDonald - Durdin - Vickers-Willis

Even looks like a good defence.

No Ed?

He'd be top 5 in the JLT MVP award.

Part of the back 6 now.

Thompson - Tarrant - Williams
McDonald - Durdin - Vickers-Willis

Even looks like a good defence.

It was a toss up between him & Durdin for mine. I think Durdin offers more rebound but is still tall enough to take a tall 3rd.

Currently, this is the side I'd like to see in Round 1:
FB: M Williams Tarrant Thompson
HB: Macmillan Durdin McDonald
C: Gibson Clarke Atley
HF: Higgins Waite Thomas
FF: Hrovat Daw Turner
R: Goldstein* Ziebell Dumont
I: Vickers-Willis Swallow Preuss Mountford
This team pretty much picks itself given who's available.
No to an underdone Brown.
The only option is Simpkin for whoever gets injured in the next month.

Confusing post
Durdin is 198

EVW is 190

Why? I'm saying Durdin gives us just as much offensively as EVW even though he's 8cm taller. He's like a 2for1 type deal. With Williams, McDonald & MacMillan we have enough cover with small/mid forwards.

Edit: basically Durdin gives more flexibility. Could even release Thompson to play as the third.

Double edit: given we play a 7 man defence both will probably play.

Lol

Last edited:
Why? I'm saying Durdin gives us just as much offensively as EVW even though he's 8cm taller. He's like a 2for1 type deal. With Williams, McDonald & MacMillan we have enough cover with small/mid forwards.

Edit: basically Durdin gives more flexibility. Could even release Thompson to play as the third.

Double edit: given we play a 7 man defence both will probably play.

Lol

Based on form this year and leaving aside that it is pre season and credits in the bank type stuff you wouldn't be assuming Thompson would be the choice out of the two though.

B: Williams - Tarrant - Thompson

HB: McDonald - Durdin - Vickers-Willis

C: MacMillan - Ziebell - Atley

HF: Higgins - Waite - Thomas

F: Hrovat - Brown - Daw

R: Goldstein - Dumont - Clarke

I/C: Gibson - Swallow - Mountford - Turner

EM: Preuss - Hibberd - Simpkin

Unavailable:
Cunnington, Wright, Jacobs, Wood, Garner, Anderson
I'm assuming that Brown gets up for JLT3, but Wright and Mullett don't. Even if Mullett does get up for it I don't think he should be considered; those types of illnesses can obviously knock you around for a while and I doubt he would have the required fitness.

Preuss has had a good pre-season, but I think Daw gives more flexibility and deserves another opportunity after his EF performance. Simpkin and Turner could go either way, but I would favour caution on Simpkin considering his return from injury and his limited training. That could easily change if he plays a full game in JLT3 and plays well. Swallow only plays because Cunnington is suspended. If he and Wright return the following week than Swallow and Mountford are probably out.

I'm assuming that Brown gets up for JLT3, but Wright and Mullett don't. Even if Mullett does get up for it I don't think he should be considered; those types of illnesses can obviously knock you around for a while and I doubt he would have the required fitness.
Doesn't help that when fit he's about our 35th best player...

Doesn't help that when fit he's about our 35th best player...
I actually thought he was decent in the second half of last season and, if we are committed to returning to this fast transition football, then there is a role for him as it was in this system that he played his best footy a few years ago.

I actually thought he was decent in the second half of last season and, if we are committed to returning to this fast transition football, then there is a role for him as it was in this system that he played his best footy a few years ago.
He was generally pretty bad but played a few good games. Time to let players with better contested games and more weapons than a raking kick on the run have a go. Thinking particularly Mitch Hibberd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back