Preview Rd 10 Geelong v Gold Coast Thu May16 730pm at TIO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the more relevant point is that Knevitt has looked more at home in his AFL games than Clark.
Disagree. And that was as a winger not as an inside mid lining up on Butters, Drew and Horne Francis at centre bounces.

I just watched the s**t first quarter and a half and Clark was genuinely our best mid in that time.

He covered defensively better than anyone else at centre bounce (not saying much) and the one good centre clearance was from a beautiful handball of his to release Blicavs. Then when we're 49 points down desperate for a spark he laid 2x big inside 50 tackles on Allir which could've been HTB and willed himself on the loose ball to soccer a behind. When a 19 year old in his 9th game is sparking the team during adversity you persist with them even if they're far from perfect.

He makes some mistakes, he's too small yet to hold his body position and the game's still far faster than he's used to. But he's got something special about him. That move where he stepped JHF at centre half back and hit Hawk in the 3rd was utterly sublime and shows what he can do.

Playing Knevitt as an inside mid is nonsense. Dropping Clark for Hardie would be a serious regression. Get 20 games into Clark and see where he's at.

Yep, and it doesn't make sense regardless of the potential scenarios for mine.

If we're trying to win now, Hardie & Knevitt will perform to a higher standard. I'm sure Mannagh would too if we threw him on the ball, but we're reluctant so far for whatever reason.

If we're trying to build for the future, then Knevitt & Clohesy have shown form that deserves senior selection over what Jhye is showing.

I believe the problem is we struggle to comprehend that too things can be true at times.

1. You can believe that Clark will be a superb player for us long term.

2. However, you can can also believe that he's not pulling his weight currently, and others deserve a chance.

In a season where we've started 7-2, and have a chance to do something special, we owe it to ourselves to explore every avenue possible to fix the problems that we face.

If Jhye goes back to the VFL for a month and dominates, then he might be that solution in a couple months...but he's not currently, and we have depth and availability that deserve their chance instead.
I keep asking the question: how long did Geelong keep faith in Zuthrie? How many seasons did supporters scream about him?

Clark could easily dominate in the VFL for a month. More importantly, there is a huge difference between VFL + playing AFL.

How does Clark's AFL 'experience', not success, compare to Hardie, Knevitt + Clohesy?

Agree, I'd love to see more of Mannagh + Mullin.

Disagree. And that was as a winger not as an inside mid lining up on Butters, Drew and Horne Francis at centre bounces.

I just watched the s**t first quarter and a half and Clark was genuinely our best mid in that time.

He covered defensively better than anyone else at centre bounce (not saying much) and the one good centre clearance was from a beautiful handball of his to release Blicavs.

Then when we're 49 points down desperate for a spark he laid 2x big inside 50 tackles on Allir which could've been HTB and willed himself on the loose ball to soccer a behind.

When a 19 year old in his 9th game is sparking the team during adversity you persist with them even if they're far from perfect.

He makes some mistakes, he's too small yet to hold his body position and the game's still far faster than he's used to. But he's got something special about him. That move where he stepped JHF at centre half back and hit Hawk in the 3rd was utterly sublime and shows what he can do.

Playing Knevitt as an inside mid is nonsense. Dropping Clark for Hardie would be a serious regression. Get 20 games into Clark and see where he's at.
Clark played well in that Q1 + half of Q2. You make all the points to support his selection.

Yes, other VFL players deserve games. Scott loves playing Kittens out of position to develop their versatility. Perhaps that's a chance to play the others mentioned about with Mullin + Mannagh.

He covered defensively better than anyone else at centre bounce (not saying much) and the one good centre clearance was from a beautiful handball of his to release Blicavs. Then when we're 49 points down desperate for a spark he laid 2x big inside 50 tackles on Allir which could've been HTB and willed himself on the loose ball to soccer a behind. When a 19 year old in his 9th game is sparking the team during adversity you persist with them even if they're far from perfect.

Agree on Clark, but why is it nonsense playing Knevitt as an inside mid? He played there a few weeks ago in the VFL and was easily our best on ground, perhaps behind only Conway.

So this mean the team leaves in the morning tomorrow? We might get an idea of the 26 squad that goes?

Yeah stengle said the team is going up tuesday to acclimatise. So i assume we travel with 26 and thats the group we are picking from.

Agree on Clark, but why is it nonsense playing Knevitt as an inside mid? He played there a few weeks ago in the VFL and was easily our best on ground, perhaps behind only Conway.

Which game was that? I've watched most VFL games and he's played 60%+ as a winger in the ones I've watched. He did that well but looked awkward and unsuited to the role the times he played as an inside mid. He's the same age as Dempsey who from what I've seen is a better inside mid so I'd much prefer Dempsey to go inside and bring in Knevitt as a winger.

I like Knevitt just not as an inside mid.

Which game was that? I've watched most VFL games and he's played 60%+ as a winger in the ones I've watched. He did that well but looked awkward and unsuited to the role the times he played as an inside mid. He's the same age as Dempsey who from what I've seen is a better inside mid so I'd much prefer Dempsey to go inside and bring in Knevitt as a winger.

I like Knevitt just not as an inside mid.

Round 5 v Carlton. Had 24 disposals and a goal, I can’t find clearance stats anywhere but I wouldn’t be surprised if he had 10+ that day.

Edit: the full match replay is here https://www.afl.com.au/video/1117108

Round 5 v Carlton. Had 24 disposals and a goal, I can’t find clearance stats anywhere but I wouldn’t be surprised if he had 10+ that day.

Edit: the full match replay is here https://www.afl.com.au/video/1117108

According to the VFL match centre on the AFL app he had 5 clearances. Both coaches had all of Hardie, Clohesy and Clark in the votes. Knevitt was not in the votes.

Also the step up from VFL midfield to AFL midfield is enormous. You go from playing against guys who can't get a game to taking on Butters, Bontempelli and Merrett.

This is doubly true for that game against Carlton who didn't have a single listed player with AFL experience playing. Their best midfielder on the day was Archie Stevens, George's brother who is 21 I think and never been on an AFL list. It's basically impossible to take anything from that in terms of how a player would step up given the gulf in class. A single training session against our AFL mids would tell you 100x more about who is ready to step up than that game.

According to the VFL match centre on the AFL app he had 5 clearances. Both coaches had all of Hardie, Clohesy and Clark in the votes. Knevitt was not in the votes.

Also the step up from VFL midfield to AFL midfield is enormous. You go from playing against guys who can't get a game to taking on Butters, Bontempelli and Merrett.

This is doubly true for that game against Carlton who didn't have a single listed player with AFL experience playing. Their best midfielder on the day was Archie Stevens, George's brother who is 21 I think and never been on an AFL list. It's basically impossible to take anything from that in terms of how a player would step up given the gulf in class. A single training session against our AFL mids would tell you 100x more about who is ready to step up than that game.
So how is Knevitt meant to get a game? He was in the VFL team of the year in 2023 wasn't he? You'd think they'd at least try him once this year and let Clark play VFL. Knevitt is reaching a stage where it's just not going to happen for him at Geelong if he's not given chances in his primary position.

So how is Knevitt meant to get a game? He was in the VFL team of the year in 2023 wasn't he? You'd think they'd at least try him once this year and let Clark play VFL. Knevitt is reaching a stage where it's just not going to happen for him at Geelong if he's not given chances in his primary position.

What do you think is his primary position?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't wanna rain on your Clark parade but he had 10 disposals. He's clearly the weakest mid week on week, not saying he won't be good in the future, who knows. I'd say Hardie could rack up 10 touches a game. Come end of season you want the best possible team, so shouldn't we be getting games into the likes of Hardie and Man and seeing what they're capable of at AFL level, don't you want to be playing with best possible team. I get game experience is good for his development and they're trying to fast track that but he'll still be under sized come end of year and easily pushed off the ball. Feels like he is gifted games when there's guys in the VFL that could do what he is doing possibly even better.

That was Dempsey that was in the VFL team of the year. Knevitt was ok at VFL level but looked good when he stepped up.

His primary position is as a defensive minded winger. He's played every AFL game there and most of his VFL games there. I agree we should be getting him some games but he's not currently an inside mid and clearly wouldn't be suited to the role.

LOL

Unlikely as in Bruhn said on radio his injury was a multiple week one and Conway’s injury prognosis is also uncertain at best.

It’s no comment on the relative merits of the players. LOL! Old mate!!1!

When did he say it was a multiple week injury on radio? Someone said he was on k-rock and said it’s not serious and should be fine for this week? And Scott said he probably couldve played last week…. Geez this Chinese whispers stuff is crazy. FYI I didn’t hear any of the krock interview

Don't wanna rain on your Clark parade but he had 10 disposals. He's clearly the weakest mid week on week, not saying he won't be good in the future, who knows. I'd say Hardie could rack up 10 touches a game. Come end of season you want the best possible team, so shouldn't we be getting games into the likes of Hardie and Man and seeing what they're capable of at AFL level, don't you want to be playing with best possible team. I get game experience is good for his development and they're trying to fast track that but he'll still be under sized come end of year and easily pushed off the ball. Feels like he is gifted games when there's guys in the VFL that could do what he is doing possibly even better.
He may be the weakest but you need to get games into him so that flashes of brilliance become consistent.

That said I'm not against him going to the 2s for a few

I think you're caring way too much about possessions. Parfitt's last 2 games have been really poor, getting spread on defensively and lacking cleanness with ball in hand. Blicavs was utterly torched in the middle until he shifted to permanent ruck. I don't care what the stats sheet says, watching the game Clark's midfield efforts were clearly better than both of those on the weekend.

Playing Clark is not about this year. He'll likely be squeezed out come finals though with another 10-12 games maybe he'll have developed enough to keep his spot. But we're in desperate need of quality midfielders and he has quality in spades.

We need to get him up to speed ASAP and dropping him for a player with a fraction of the talent cause they might be a very slight upgrade right now would be the wrong move. Blaming him for the loss on the weekend when he was about the only midfielder that wasn't a witches hat during the first quarter and a half is utterly laughable.

The Brisbane VFL game was knevitts best. Played inside mid against an experienced opposition and held his own

Think this will be a tough game in the Darwin heat but a good chance for our supporters up there to see the Cats up close.

It'll be tough without Cameron but we can get it done if we stick to the task.

Two games lost for a total of 14 points are at the point where "luck" plays into it - so not too worried about that. We just as easily be 9-0 and have the intense weight of expectation and media speculation on the team.

I think the Sunnyboys will prove a bit too much with our outs, though I'd love to see Chris Scott put Hardwick to the sword again.
Welcome back frgrr…!

The Brisbane VFL game was knevitts best. Played inside mid against an experienced opposition and held his own

I watched that game and thought he was good. But he was still playing mainly wing with maybe a quarter as a genuine inside mid. Same with his games against Box Hill and the Northern Bullants.

I quite like him as a player and think he's been stiff not getting games but if he plays AFL it'll be as a winger where he can use his marking and running power not as an inside mid.

Good test for the cats in the humid slippery dip conditions. No Tommy and Jez also a good opportunity for Scott and the coaching staff to get creative with the forward mix….
Small forward mix with ground ball type entries could be s strategy they might consider.

I agree - it'll be interesting to see how the forwards operate (beyond Neale in as our only real KPF). I'm guessing Rohan and Henry play more prominent roles, but with the slippery conditions we'll probably rely on our smalls to kick most of our score.

Would be great to get a couple of our midfield like we did in yesteryear, but seems they have their hands full just not getting smashed defensively. Bruhn and Bowes absolutely crucial inclusions this week.

We are in strife if Homles doesn't get up for this one.

The leg might be a non-issue though... Not sure.
Not sure of the ground dimensions there, but I thought his last 2 MCG games were very good…. His speed and running capacity really evident on the big grounds…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back