Preview Rd 10 Geelong v Gold Coast Thu May16 730pm at TIO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that sucked.

Granted, you play uninterested crap footy and you will get smashed.

And we did..

And then we came back and nearly pinched it - had chances and bottled some gettable set shots.

Still...7-2 and 2nd on ladder aint bad for a mob that people were listing outside the 8.

But the injuries are mounting and form and touch is an issue for a few blokes.

Its a game where being off 5% can wreck you... and thats what we are seeing

The 23 will likely miss Hawkins, Cameron, Duncan, Bruhn, maybe Holmes and will get back 2E and Bowes.

No milestones this week I dont think but anyone considering Gold Coast an easy win will be in for a ride awakening.

Time to extract the digit and get back on track... but we cant serve up the last 2 weeks efforts as we'll get belted.

GO Catters

Think this will be a tough game in the Darwin heat but a good chance for our supporters up there to see the Cats up close.

It'll be tough without Cameron but we can get it done if we stick to the task.

Two games lost for a total of 14 points are at the point where "luck" plays into it - so not too worried about that. We just as easily be 9-0 and have the intense weight of expectation and media speculation on the team.

I think the Sunnyboys will prove a bit too much with our outs, though I'd love to see Chris Scott put Hardwick to the sword again.

Think this will be a tough game in the Darwin heat but a good chance for our supporters up there to see the Cats up close.

It'll be tough without Cameron but we can get it done if we stick to the task.

Two games lost for a total of 14 points are at the point where "luck" plays into it - so not too worried about that. We just as easily be 9-0 and have the intense weight of expectation and media speculation on the team.

I think the Sunnyboys will prove a bit too much with our outs, though I'd love to see Chris Scott put Hardwick to the sword again.

I'm going to disagree on the 'luck' aspect.

As Daz said, we weren't interested, and played high school footy. We deserved to lose.

That the margins have been close isn't a credit to us......they actually tell us that we managed to throw away winnable games. If we'd been mentally prepared, and actually played a full game of honest footy, we might've won.

But we weren't, and didn't. Not even for Tommy's big game.

We made our own 'luck'.

Reckon we need to go with speed and run this week. Having never been to Darwin (but spent time in the Philippines for many weeks around April/May before) I do struggle to fathom how the dry season during the day produces so much dew and moisture in a night game there you could fill the Thompson Dam. That's not the case in the similar-latitude Manila environs, but it is what it is for Darwin, so that young bloke Humphries could be a shot, and maybe Mannagh. Already not having Hawkins, Cameron and perhaps Duncan if he's rested, we will lack experience, but perhaps some fresh quick youngsters can help the midfield after the last few weeks where we've been punished. Witts is one of those rucks who is like Goldstein, just plays the whole game and has great stamina, so the battle will be once the ball is on the ground.

I'm sure Geelong will be keen to make amends, and the Suns can be a fragile unit if we can start well, they kind of go win/loss a bit, but they are a bit Jekyll and Hyde with their efforts. Bowes back will help, he may have a bit of insider info into what makes the Suns click. One thing we need to do, bloody well stop Lukocius kicking five goals again like last season, hopefully they mind him a bit more.

In: Neale, Bowes, Tuohy, Mannagh
Out: Hawkins, Cameron, Duncan, Dempsey

Pretty important game to win in the context of the season. Lose this and we are staring at four losses in a row with GWS the week following. Would bring us right back to the field.

Might be up against it this week.

Gold Coast’s midfield is strong; Witts, Rowell, Anderson and Miller are a tough quartet to counter.

With Cameron set to miss we’re short on manpower & firepower.

is Neale a chance for a recall this week, or still unavailable through injury? If available I wouldn’t be surprised if Hawkins is rested for a record-breaking KP game.

Gold Coast’s midfield is strong; Witts, Rowell, Anderson and Miller are a tough quartet to counter.

is Neale a chance for a recall this week, or still unavailable through injury? If available I wouldn’t be surprised if Hawkins is rested for a record-breaking KP game.
I'm glad this weekend there's no milestone games, we've had a procession of them in recent weeks, with Hawk's 350th, Stanley's 200th, Blitz's 250th and Stewarts 150th, then of course the record equaling game. Not sure if that kind of made a small mindset of a victory procession or something especially as we went 7-0, but I reckon this week it will be Geelong being the hunters and being 'on the ball' from the get go. Just have a feeling that's all.

Reports are there's no injury concerns for Neale - so that means he should be available

I'm going to disagree on the 'luck' aspect.

As Daz said, we weren't interested, and played high school footy. We deserved to lose.

That the margins have been close isn't a credit to us......they actually tell us that we managed to throw away winnable games. If we'd been mentally prepared, and actually played a full game of honest footy, we might've won.

But we weren't, and didn't. Not even for Tommy's big game.

We made our own 'luck'.

That is true, but even playing disinterested footy, a 6 point margin can come down to a baffling umpiring decision or a ball bouncing in an unexpected way - is what I was getting at.

There's some hope to be taken from the fact the team played insipid, listless football for a period but can still almost reel it in.

It's not ideal - they could have won - but it does build belief that if a game is getting out of hand (for whatever reason) they're capable of getting it back on their terms.

At any rate, there are 14 other clubs that wish they had Geelong's "problem" at the moment.

We need run so will be interesting to see if we pick conway or run blitz against witts (which would be a risk). Not sure how conway will go in the humidity.
Dempsey would be due a rest but i wonder if we delay it with our outs.
Mannagh has to come in we need speed.
Id drop parfitt but they wont.
I would actually be tempted to bring humphries in but unsure if we are that radical.

Out: hawkins duncan (managed) stanley (omitted) cameron (inj) clark (managed)

In: neale conway mannagh bowes hardie
Dempsey to sub probably

Suns fans thinking Witts among others might be rested as their back up ruck Moyle was withdrawn from their VFL game yesterday.

Hopefully their five day break works to our advantage, as we’ve regularly been on the other end of it this season including nearly getting overrun by the Dogs off a five day break following Easter Monday.

Heard Simon Black and some other ex footballer (didn't catch who it was), talking about playing in the heat and humidity.
Seems Clarkson had North train with footballs dipped in detergent. They scoffed at this. The ball isn't the thing that is slippery (unless rain of course), it is the sweat off the players. So the players hands are slippery, not the ball.
They suggested wearing sweatbands on wrists to try to minimise sweat running down arms to hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hey guys, I come in peace

Just want to know if Jack Bowes is in best 22?

Suns fans thinking Witts among others might be rested as their back up ruck Moyle was withdrawn from their VFL game yesterday.

Hopefully their five day break works to our advantage, as we’ve regularly been on the other end of it this season including nearly getting overrun by the Dogs off a five day break following Easter Monday.
Yeah, it would not surprise me Moyle replacing Witts. Moyle is actually pretty good ruck although inexperienced.

These are insane playing conditions. Different game style, hard to mark, profound sweat, slippery ball, humidity increases during game. Energy is sapped from players. Only 5 days to recover is hurting Suns. On the other hand, Suns are accustomed to conditions.

Suns rested some players in the last quarter against North. Fiorini and Swallow were rested against North and will play.

Suns play very young and inexperienced line-ups recently (were younger and less experienced than North).

Suns miss 3 best 22 - Weller, Rosas, Powell.

Good luck.

Last edited:
In: Neale, Bowes, Tuohy, Mannagh
Out: Hawkins, Cameron, Duncan, Dempsey

Pretty important game to win in the context of the season. Lose this and we are staring at four losses in a row with GWS the week following. Would bring us right back to the field.

Only change I'd make is Clark out instead of Dempsey. Dempsey's been solid and his flexibility forward/wing is more useful and he's contributing more than Clark is right now (no knock on Clark, just not ready this year).

We need run so will be interesting to see if we pick conway or run blitz against witts (which would be a risk). Not sure how conway will go in the humidity.
Dempsey would be due a rest but i wonder if we delay it with our outs.
Mannagh has to come in we need speed.
Id drop parfitt but they wont.
I would actually be tempted to bring humphries in but unsure if we are that radical.

Out: hawkins duncan (managed) stanley (omitted) cameron (inj) clark (managed)

In: neale conway mannagh bowes hardie
Dempsey to sub probably
I thought Bruhn would be available. He was a test last week.

Last year would've been a bit iffy, but this year 100%.

Reckon he might've been the difference on the weekend (though a lot of things could be when it's a 1 goal game).
Nice, ohh is he injured atm?
When he due back?

Do we know if Bruhn is really off the table for this week? Rumours have been circulating but haven't heard anything specific, I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back