Preview Rd 10 Geelong v Gold Coast Thu May16 730pm at TIO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Won’t be easy but we will get over the line here. I’d be more concerned if it was at their home ground but should be ok on neutral territory.

Heard Simon Black and some other ex footballer (didn't catch who it was), talking about playing in the heat and humidity.
Seems Clarkson had North train with footballs dipped in detergent. They scoffed at this. The ball isn't the thing that is slippery (unless rain of course), it is the sweat off the players. So the players hands are slippery, not the ball.
They suggested wearing sweatbands on wrists to try to minimise sweat running down arms to hands.
So dip their hands in detergent instead? :shrug:

INS

Definite; Bowes IN Tuohy IN Neale IN

Possibilities; Conway*? Bruhn*? Hardie? Knevitt? (*injury??)

Wildcard; Humphries? Mannagh? Clohesy?

OUTS

Definite; Hawkins OUT Cameron OUT Stanley OUT

Possibilities; Clark? Duncan?

Slippery game up north on the cards.

Might be on an Island here.
Fingers crossed this is a watershed moment for Ollie Henry.
Plenty of ability & highly touted by some.
He's gotta show more than a few leaps and a goal or two.
Conditions won't suit his style of play.
Hard running and some actual dirt and grit wouldn't go astray Thursday night.
Take a look at some Mihocek highlights would be my advice.

With the assumption that Hawk is still out and that Jez now is out, i wonder if Neale comes in, Jack Henry goes forward and potentially a Bews or Humphries gets a crack?

With the assumption that Hawk is still out and that Jez now is out, i wonder if Neale comes in, Jack Henry goes forward and potentially a Bews or Humphries gets a crack?
Even Jeka if they want 2 replace a tall with a tall??
has played pretty well in the past 3-4 VFL games. Solid.

Even Jeka if they want 2 replace a tall with a tall??
has played pretty well in the past 3-4 VFL games. Solid.
I don't rate Jeka at all personally, looks really neat and tidy when there is no pressure, looks absolutely horrid when the game is hot or there is some pressure IMO.
Hawks don't have ANY Key Position depth or talent and they let him go, that says it all

but I have been wrong many many times before so I obviously could be here!

Neale, Rohan and O Henry is enough marking power up forward in slippery conditions.

Hopefully Conway is good to go also. If not it's a tough choice between Stanley or just rucking Blicavs who we don't want to overwork. I'm guessing Duncan to be managed and I'd omit Parfitt (Clark has shown enough to persist with). Something like:

Ins - Conway, Neale, Bruhn, Bowes, Tuohy
Outs - Stanley, Cameron, Hawkins, Duncan, Parfitt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For mine, Mannagh should be playing this week.

If he doesn't play... I'll probably start throwing around the "why did we draft him" line.

If it's a slippery, low-to-the-ground game... It should suit Mannagh perfectly.

He also should be very keen to put in a big effort, and he has the body strength to mix it in the contest.

Surely he plays.

That is true, but even playing disinterested footy, a 6 point margin can come down to a baffling umpiring decision or a ball bouncing in an unexpected way - is what I was getting at.

There's some hope to be taken from the fact the team played insipid, listless football for a period but can still almost reel it in.

It's not ideal - they could have won - but it does build belief that if a game is getting out of hand (for whatever reason) they're capable of getting it back on their terms.

At any rate, there are 14 other clubs that wish they had Geelong's "problem" at the moment.
I agree we could have just as easily won the last 2 and been 9-0, so there's no need to panic too much. But the same logic means we could have lost the saints and bulldogs games and been 5-4 which would be less than ideal.

We obviously need to improve, but we also have the luxury of banking those early wins so we can afford to drop a game or two in the middle of the season while managing players, having a slight drop in form, bad luck etc. As you say, not a bad position to be in

I feel this might tell us A LOT about our season, this is a game we simply find a way to win if we are a genuine Premiership contender.
Get done and it's 3 loses in a row, potentially facing 4 and looking "next rung down" from competing at the pointy end of the season.

Feels a bit like the GWS game in 2022. Massively undermanned coming off a poor loss at home to Freo. We just went up there and got the job done easily. If we're good enough this year that's what we should do here too but I'm not confident.

Only change I'd make is Clark out instead of Dempsey. Dempsey's been solid and his flexibility forward/wing is more useful and he's contributing more than Clark is right now (no knock on Clark, just not ready this year).
They were the two I was considering. Just feel that given the beating we are copping in the midfield we need Clark more than Dempsey.

Are you legit suggesting Ollie isn't doing enough?
Yep.
Are u legit suggesting he is delivering on his potential or indeed his ability?
Playing the 3rd/4th fiddle and getting the 3rd/4th best defender each week expected a little more TBH.
Here's hoping for a great outing this week with more responsibilities on his shoulders vs the Suns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back