Preview Rd 10 Geelong v Gold Coast Thu May16 730pm at TIO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m still confident we can beat them
Usually very confident in how Geelong will fare but not this time.
Bruhn and Bowes have to play for us to have a chance. Otherwise replace Wines, Butters and JHF dominance with Rowell, Flanders and Miller dominance. What Witts could do to us actually is not a pleasant thought.

Hope I am wrong but we look like a lame duck in the middle at the moment and will be rocking undersized forwards O.Henry and Rohan with Neale who has less than 5 games. What he did v North is irrelevant - and I am not knocking him here - I am knocking NM. They are that bad we can't take anything away from how he performed that day.

Gut says Suns by 1-20 points.

Do we know if Bruhn is really off the table for this week? Rumours have been circulating but haven't heard anything specific, I think?
I honestly think it is 50/50. We have a history of tests two weeks in a row.

But if they say available in injury report then he plays for sure. If they say test then we will be waiting until Wednesday and I will be nervous about him playing. Hoping we get good news tomorrow and he and Bowes are required ins

INS

Definite; Bowes IN Tuohy IN Neale IN

Possibilities; Conway*? Bruhn*? Hardie? Knevitt? (*injury??)

Wildcard; Humphries? Mannagh? Clohesy?

OUTS

Definite; Hawkins OUT Cameron OUT Stanley OUT

Possibilities; Clark? Duncan?

Slippery game up north on the cards.
Dempsey managed must be a possibility too? I would have thought certainty by now (hasn’t played 10 weeks in a row ever) but maybe Jezza injury delays it a week?

They were the two I was considering. Just feel that given the beating we are copping in the midfield we need Clark more than Dempsey.
I was with you think Dempsey due for managed.

Only issue is team balance with two midflieders coming back in (both need to play in centre bounce in my view) that I reckon the rest/ommit a midfielder? Maybe they do that plus give Dempsey a rest with Mannagh in? But think they will rest a “true” midfielder as well

For mine, Mannagh should be playing this week.

If he doesn't play... I'll probably start throwing around the "why did we draft him" line.

If it's a slippery, low-to-the-ground game... It should suit Mannagh perfectly.

He also should be very keen to put in a big effort, and he has the body strength to mix it in the contest.

Surely he plays.
Mannagh has played a couple of Seasons up in Darwin... so you think that will be in his advantage to get a game

For mine, Mannagh should be playing this week.

If he doesn't play... I'll probably start throwing around the "why did we draft him" line.

If it's a slippery, low-to-the-ground game... It should suit Mannagh perfectly.

He also should be very keen to put in a big effort, and he has the body strength to mix it in the contest.

Surely he plays.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Mannagh still being used as a small forward in the VFL - not wing or midfield? So we have to think of him as a forward only in the 1's until that VFL positional change is made.

Having said they if we go for a smaller line up this week, Hawkins and Cameron out would leave two spots open for forwards: Neale and Mannagh could be it.

I still think there are question marks over his tank and defensive side of his game e.g pressure. Plugging him into the team is definitely rolling the dice on his attacking traits making that worth the gamble. Which is why he probably hasn't squeezed his way into our line up when most if not all forwards are available (whereas Rohan did).

You can't seriously think Hardie or Knevitt would be offering less than Jhye right now.

Let alone Bowes & Bruhn when they come back, even Mullin looked better in that first half.

I don't want to turn this into a debate on him long-term, as I've been one of his biggest supporters and like I said, he'll be a player.

Short term though, we can't afford to carry a player who is offering close to zero when there are players who will at minimum do the same thing, and it's highly likely they'll be better.
Agreed. He is a kid who missed most of his debut season so it entirely makes sense that his output is well below players like Bruhn, Atkins (even a "poor form" Atkins) and Bowes at this stage. And it is. We could carry him in an almost full strength line up on the proviso that Cam Guthrie would automatically replace him when available. But it's time for him to build great form in the VFL now.

Nice, ohh is he injured atm?
When he due back?
Think they wanted him rested for the sun's match. He's better acquainted with the conditions than most and good to have him fresh. Good idea, massive backfire.

They're genuinely resting players on rotation as we're more at risk of physically hitting the wall than most lists

Agreed. He is a kid who missed most of his debut season so it entirely makes sense that his output is well below players like Bruhn, Atkins (even a "poor form" Atkins) and Bowes at this stage. And it is. We could carry him in an almost full strength line up on the proviso that Cam Guthrie would automatically replace him when available. But it's time for him to build great form in the VFL now.
Yep, and it doesn't make sense regardless of the potential scenarios for mine.

If we're trying to win now, Hardie & Knevitt will perform to a higher standard. I'm sure Mannagh would too if we threw him on the ball, but we're reluctant so far for whatever reason.

If we're trying to build for the future, then Knevitt & Clohesy have shown form that deserves senior selection over what Jhye is showing.

I believe the problem is we struggle to comprehend that too things can be true at times.

1. You can believe that Clark will be a superb player for us long term.

2. However, you can can also believe that he's not pulling his weight currently, and others deserve a chance.

In a season where we've started 7-2, and have a chance to do something special, we owe it to ourselves to explore every avenue possible to fix the problems that we face.

If Jhye goes back to the VFL for a month and dominates, then he might be that solution in a couple months...but he's not currently, and we have depth and availability that deserve their chance instead.

You can't seriously think Hardie or Knevitt would be offering less than Jhye right now.

I think you massively underestimate the gap between VFL and AFL midfields.

Harmes is as good as inside mid as VFL has. He absolutely killed us for Casey last year. And he can't get a look in as an AFL inside mid and is a bit part forward.

Clark went back to VFL level and dominated in a similar way to Hardie. Knevitt isn't an inside mid. The chance they would do much better at AFL level is slim. And I would much prefer Clark have 10-15 games pumped into him than Hardie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you massively underestimate the gap between VFL and AFL midfields.

Harmes is as good as inside mid as VFL has. He absolutely killed us for Casey last year. And he can't get a look in as an AFL inside mid and is a bit part forward.

Clark went back to VFL level and dominated in a similar way to Hardie. Knevitt isn't an inside mid. The chance they would do much better at AFL level is slim. And I would much prefer Clark have 10-15 games pumped into him than Hardie.

I think the more relevant point is that Knevitt has looked more at home in his AFL games than Clark.

Let alone Bowes & Bruhn when they come back, even Mullin looked better in that second half.

Mate just consider this, old mate catempire just said to me about Bruhn and Bowes coming into the side and I quote

Two of those changes seem unlikely.

….like they’ve probably been our two best mids this year?
What’s unlikely about that? They’re absolutely in as is Conway for Stanley.
I’ll guarantee all 3 are playing (as long as Tanner isn’t hurt). Yet he wants to keep Clark and drop Dempsey….

Just…like what? LOL

I’ll guarantee all 3 are playing. Yet he wants to keep Clark and drop Dempsey….

Just…like what? LOL
I think Mr Weekly Prognosis is hinting at two of them (stanley and Conway also mentioned) not being available.
Now that's with 3 of the 4 players not listed on the injury list last week, and the 4th being a 'test'.

Sounds like this week by week injury update is not being believed by CE. What a turn of events ;)

No, that’s not what I mean. I mean Clark is the best mid available at the moment and dropping him weakens us in an area that’s already weak.
if that is correct, it really shows us all where we ARE at in the MF

Let alone Bowes & Bruhn when they come back, even Mullin looked better in that second half.

I don't want to turn this into a debate on him long-term, as I've been one of his biggest supporters and like I said, he'll be a player.

Short term though, we can't afford to carry a player who is offering close to zero when there are players who will at minimum do the same thing, and it's highly likely they'll be better.
I do seriously think that. Really don’t rate Hardie or Knevitt highly at all.

Mate just consider this, old mate catempire just said to me about Bruhn and Bowes coming into the side and I quote

I’ll guarantee all 3 are playing (as long as Tanner isn’t hurt). Yet he wants to keep Clark and drop Dempsey….

Just…like what? LOL
LOL

Unlikely as in Bruhn said on radio his injury was a multiple week one and Conway’s injury prognosis is also uncertain at best.

It’s no comment on the relative merits of the players. LOL! Old mate!!1!

if that is correct, it really shows us all where we ARE at in the MF
It's not correct. So it does NOT show anything.

Pecking order of midfielders is: Dangerfield, Bruhn, Bowes, Guthrie, Atkins, Blicavs and Parfitt. Holmes if they rotate him from half back is second on that list.

Clark is raffled off against Knevitt and Hardie as out 9th best midfield option.

Usually very confident in how Geelong will fare but not this time.
Bruhn and Bowes have to play for us to have a chance. Otherwise replace Wines, Butters and JHF dominance with Rowell, Flanders and Miller dominance. What Witts could do to us actually is not a pleasant thought.

Hope I am wrong but we look like a lame duck in the middle at the moment and will be rocking undersized forwards O.Henry and Rohan with Neale who has less than 5 games. What he did v North is irrelevant - and I am not knocking him here - I am knocking NM. They are that bad we can't take anything away from how he performed that day.

Gut says Suns by 1-20 points.
Noah Anderson is a sheer gun. Is he not playing?
GC easily this week sadly- we are utterly depleted of class and brilliance, no matter what the conditions, and our MF must be close to 18th in the comp.
How on earth we still come close to, and beat teams with way more talent in that area is a credit to their tenacity and belief and coaching.

Mannagh has played a couple of Seasons up in Darwin... so you think that will be in his advantage to get a game

Feels like we're going to need speed (either legs or ball movement), good hands, good decision making and goals wherever we can find them.
For that reason I think Dempsey plays a full game and Mannagh comes in.

Witts will dominate whoever we ruck, so I'd drop Stanley and play Blics as ruck with Neale in support so we have an extra midfielder/small forward. Rather see Conway against GWS & Richmond at home. Blics can rest against Richmond too.

If Mannagh can only play forward then push Miers and Dempsey up to wings.
Hope for goals from Neale, OHenry, Rohan, Close, Stengle, Miers, Dempsey, Mannagh, Touhy. Not being reliant on Hawk/Cameron might be a blessing.

Stewart keeps getting tagged and it's not the conditions for intercept marks. JHenry out of form. I'd play Stewart as a more traditional defender and drop Henry who's too slow. Zuthrie/Duncan/Touhy can play Stewarts role (like the 22 GF).

IN: Bruhn, Bowes, Touhy, Mannagh.

OUT: Stanley, Hawk, Cameron, J Henry.

It's not correct. So it does NOT show anything.

Pecking order of midfielders is: Dangerfield, Bruhn, Bowes, Guthrie, Atkins, Blicavs and Parfitt. Holmes if they rotate him from half back is second on that list.

Clark is raffled off against Knevitt and Hardie as out 9th best midfield option.
It's all subjective. Bowes as #3 is ???.
Absolute toss up, and depends on the day.
Atkins has not hit 22-23 form.
Parf has been good, and now has dropped off again.
Blic looks fatigued, overused, TMBS as well.
CG has hardly hit his straps yet.

It's all subjective. Bowes as #3 is ???.
Absolute toss up, and depends on the day.
Atkins has not hit 22-23 form.
Parf has been good, and now has dropped off again.
Blic looks fatigued, overused, TMBS as well.
CG has hardly hit his straps yet.
Bowes in full games (i.e not sub) this season is a 20 disposal a game midfielder (from low time on ground) who uses the ball well and makes smart decisions. Of course that would put him third in this midfield group.

Dangerfield, Bruhn and Bowes are the only ones who can get us on the front foot in there. The rest are pressurising foot soldiers until Guthrie finds his best form. Parfitt was edging up but has had a few disappointing weeks in a row.

All of your points show exactly what I am saying, that none of those other players on current form are in our midfield top 3. And Clark is not in our midfield top 8. So the "Clark is our next best" thing, meh. It means little. He is playing no better than Hardie or Knevitt but we want to pump games into him for development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back