Autopsy Rd 19 Coachkilling Blues smashed by last placed Roos

Who played well for the Blues in Round 19 vs the Roos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

In other words, if we had the world's greatest coach means we win against the bottom side by one point? Injuries and unpicked juniors aside, half the side aren't up to it. I don't care about a lack of talls today, this loss, and our substandard coach, they are only symptoms of a half-arsed attitude going back for donkey's years.

Coach isn't the only problem... I'm under no illusion of that.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you how many points we would've won by if we had "the world's greatest coach" but I will tell you that we wouldn't have been copping so many easy goals on the rebound and if hypothetically we were early on in the match, changes would've been made.

Yup... madness... doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Stability is a much overrated thing at Carlton. Why have stability when you can hire a coach and sack him in a couple of years... and get in another coach... and sack him a couple of years after that. Don't bother getting in better assistant coaches... the senior coach isn't going to be there all that long anyway.

Brittain - 2 seasons... 2001 took us to 5th spot, 2002, aging list crashed to last. Jack sacks him and hire Pagan... a premiership coach to take us to the promised land. And then the AFL smacks us with salary cap infringement penalties.
Pagan - 2003-2007 (minus 6 games). 2003 15th (out of 16), 2004 11th... awesome... we're on the way back. 2005... oops... 16th. 2006 - umm... not looking good for Pagan with another wooden spoon. 2007... sacked with 6 games left to go.
Ratten - 2007-2012 6 games in 2007, 2008... whoa nose bleed time 11th. 2009 Finals... finally... out in 1. 2010... finals again... out in one. 2011... finals... yeah... won one... nice. 2012... round 4 it all goes to sh*t after being touted as the premiership favourites after the first 3 rounds. Mathieson starts recruiting Malthouse about the same time. Ratts sacked after losing to Gold Coast... after the media had been leaking that the club had lined up Malthouse as his replacement.
Malthouse 2013-2015... 8 games into 2015, the club sacked him. We finished bottom... again. 2013, we make the finals after news breaks that Essendon had been systematically doping the year before. We actually finished 9th. One spot higher than Ratts did when we sacked him the year before. 2014 - meh.
Barker 2015-2015 - 14 games, 3 wins.
Bolton 2015-2019 - start of the rebuild. Halfway through 2019, after we'd won another wooden spoon in 2018 on the back of Barker's wonderful tactics as the head of strategy and high performance... Bolton is given the punt... despite promises that the club would support him for 5 years, he's done.
Teague 2019-present - 11 games as interim coach, 6 wins, 5 losses. 2020, COVID-19 f’ed up everyones world. 17 games. 7 wins. 2021, still in covid's shadow... the hounds start baying for the blood of yet another Carlton coach.

You know what real madness is... judging a coach on a single season's results when he is only in his second full year as a senior coach. Real madness is thinking that things will change just by bringing in another coach. Maybe they will... but based on our record for the last 20 seasons and a bit... we'll have a couple of good years, a couple of bad years... maybe... and then we're sacking a coach again. Can you sort of see the pattern we've created for ourselves... almost like we're getting in a coach to take us back to the finals... and then we sack him when he doesn't. That's doing the same thing... over... and over... again... and again... and expecting different results each time.

You know what would be different? Not sacking a coach when we have a bad season. Backing the coach in to turn it around the following year. Backing the coach by using the money that would pay for a big name senior coach and get in a couple of good assistant coaches instead of the drek we currently have. Get rid of Stanton and Bruce and get in a good midfield coach and a good forwards coach as well as a part time dedicated goal kicking coach. Get in a proper mentor for Teague. We only need a single coach for the midfield. Power is the development coach, so he is already on our books as a coach. If Mathieson was going to pay a million a year for Clarkson, as well as covering the fine we'd cop from the AFL over the soft cap, put that million to paying a bit extra to get some good assistants to support Teague.

Now that would be different for Carlton... instead of just sacking yet another senior coach.

It isn't a single season Dram, this season there was improvement expected. We went from copping 5 goal swings to 4 goal swings.

That's why I'm saying this season is a big enough sample size. We saw it happening last year.. and the year before when he coached the second half of 2019, teams would get a run on and we would do nothing to stop it.

We had a bad season in 2018 and Bolton survived. Circumstances made it a bit more bearable but nevertheless, we had won triple the amount of games in the 2 preceding seasons... so when we were heading for a similar result in 2019 he was gone.

This list should be making top 6 or at the very least top 8. It most certainly shouldn't be stagnating.

Another thing for you to be aware of is this board love to sell something. If they keep Teague after this season it makes it incredibly difficult. When they have the opportunity to bring in Lyon or especially Clarko then there's something for them to sell and no doubt they will pull the trigger.

The only thing that could save Teague is if no one highly regarded is available or willing to take over.

Actually Eddie has had one or two decent games all year - as in ABOVE AVERAGE. Those games (5 and 3 goals) have distorted is general goal kicking stats.

Beyond that he constantly goes for the miracle mark, miracle goal and provides commentary highlights and spectacular vision - these rarely come off but when they do his failures are all forgiven.

Carltons problems stem from lack of forward pressure on the rebound - and our small forwards failing to contribute around the ground- CLEARLY that review shows Honeys capability to do just that.

Eddies stats have been among the WORST for forwards this year - from contested possessions, marks, disposals, tackles etc - all middle to lower order - and many so low they do not even make the list.

Sorry he stats are terrible - really, really bad.

I called on Teague to see this game for what it was - a make or break game to make the changes coming in to address the injury problems we have with smaller forward line and chaos balls - bring in speed, youth, the kids and let at at.

Instead with the largest injury list all season to our forward line - he tried to "recreate" the tall forward system and brought in even more older bodies.

Betts is symptomatic of Teagues problems which start at the selection table. He has a single vision and bends everything to meet that single view - rather than being adaptable.

Whats worse is this vision is sacrificing the development of the kids which can only happen by giving them opportunities.

Every other club sees this. But people on this board seem to think a player must play like Dusty Martin or kick 5 goals every week and SMASH the door down to get a game - while every other club FLIES PAST CARLTON by developing their kids in the AFL - an entirely different system and game to the VFL.
Nice vitriole. Eddie is offering exactly what we wanted. A crumbling pressure forward who is providing leadership for the forward line. He is even pressuring up the ground to show he is evolving with the game.
Who is he holding back? Owies has come on. Fisher is still contributing and even pushing back into the midfield. Honey would be the only one I would give a game to and Teague should have tested Eddie for a block earlier and given Honey a block of games.
Eddie gets a pass this year for mine.

It isn't a single season Dram, this season there was improvement expected. We went from copping 5 goal swings to 4 goal swings.

That's why I'm saying this season is a big enough sample size. We saw it happening last year.. and the year before when he coached the second half of 2019, teams would get a run on and we would do nothing to stop it.

We had a bad season in 2018 and Bolton survived. Circumstances made it a bit more bearable but nevertheless, we had won triple the amount of games in the 2 preceding seasons... so when we were heading for a similar result in 2019 he was gone.

This list should be making top 6 or at the very least top 8. It most certainly shouldn't be stagnating.

Another thing for you to be aware of is this board love to sell something. If they keep Teague after this season it makes it incredibly difficult. When they have the opportunity to bring in Lyon or especially Clarko then there's something for them to sell and no doubt they will pull the trigger.

The only thing that could save Teague is if no one highly regarded is available or willing to take over.
I’m fully aware that the board loves to sell something. Big Jack did it in 2002 to try and retain the huddled masses love by bringing in Pagan. He did it as a distraction from the right royal shafting we were about to get from the salary cap infringement punishments.

I do think that Teague is gone, but it’s not going to happen until the end of the season and the review is in. Mathieson has already been in the ear of the board and Clarkson and Teague won’t survive. Ratts won 11 games in 2012, but Mathieson had decided he wasn’t the man to take us to the next level, and so he forced the board to sack him and hire Malthouse.

The media reports that Carlton has been in Clarksons ear already. Is it Craig doing his uncles bidding again, or has his uncle approached Clarkson directly, under the guise of acting for the club?

if Clarkson takes the job, I hope he asks for a 5 year ironclad rock solid contract that can’t be broken without costing the club a ton of money.

I’m fully aware that the board loves to sell something. Big Jack did it in 2002 to try and retain the huddled masses love by bringing in Pagan. He did it as a distraction from the right royal shafting we were about to get from the salary cap infringement punishments.

I do think that Teague is gone, but it’s not going to happen until the end of the season and the review is in. Mathieson has already been in the ear of the board and Clarkson and Teague won’t survive. Ratts won 11 games in 2012, but Mathieson had decided he wasn’t the man to take us to the next level, and so he forced the board to sack him and hire Malthouse.

The media reports that Carlton has been in Clarksons ear already. Is it Craig doing his uncles bidding again, or has his uncle approached Clarkson directly, under the guise of acting for the club?

if Clarkson takes the job, I hope he asks for a 5 year ironclad rock solid contract that can’t be broken without costing the club a ton of money.

Yeah exactly, they won't get rid of him until the season is over. There's no point doing so for the last 4 games.

An ironclad 5 year deal that's a high risk - high reward type deal.

To be honest, Ratten, I felt was hard done by. But, I wanted them to sack Malthouse. I wanted them to sack Bolton and I now want them to sack Teague. Those three just plain suck.

Teague lost me today. Sorry, but when you see that they're killing us with d50 to f50 transition and call it out at half time, then proceed to make zero changes and it gets even worse in the third quarter against the bottom mob - sorry, he's done.

I posted earlier, Kennedy just wouldn't have a bar of him in the rooms post match. Looked away from his coach and shook his head. Players that believe in their coach would never do that.

Season killed, Ed Curnow let down and we have captain Cripps having a laugh with TDK... not good enough. Meanwhile, Sam Walsh has a look on his face like someone close to him just died.

Coach needs to drive the motivation and how important winning is, not a 21 year old kid.
Agree, Ratten and Britain should of been kept in my view and Bolton should of been given better assistance and advisors and who knows. I was hesitant on Teague, loathed Malthouse and was ok with Pagan and supported him until his final 6 weeks it obviously was time for change

If we got Clarko and the first thing he does is move on some bad eggs like Buckley did at the Pies, there are going to be rumblings and it will take a year or 2 to fill the gaps.
I’d hope that when you get on someone with the reputation/clout of Clarko, you’re getting a dog too big for the tail to wag, like we’ve seen in the past.

So if you take him, give him 5 years. That way it makes it harder for Mathieson to turf him out as well if he decides it’s not happening fast enough.

I find it ironic that opposition supporters can identify our issues, yet our coaches can't.

Structure

No tall fowards - play Jones/Weitering up forward as a target. Play Parks or Kemp as a key defender, especially as NM have no gorilla type forwards, we could get away with this IMO. Yes we have injuries, but the MC's selection is shocking.. Dow/Kennedy/SPS/Curnow/Setterfield/Williams all been played out of position the majority of the year. Some obviously cannot play in their best position due to players ahead of them (or not fit enough in one case), but we have seen how much better both the individual and team look when players are played in their best positions. Also keeping plowman on Larkey was disgraceful, he may have been the best matchup but it wasn't working. Change it and if they to to exploit plowman on someone else then let them, it may or may not work.. but it's better than letting them continue with what IS working.

Gameplan

No pressure - We again lost tackle and possession count. If you don't have the ball, then you would expect a higher than your opponent tackle counts. Even in our win last week we had lower posession and tackle numbers. This trend it's common throughout the year and is appears to be a directive of the coaching group to carrel our opponents and guard space rather than apply pressure directly to the opponent.

Positioning

Constantly our players our out of position. Stoppages (partly due to TDK developing and no 2nd ruck), forwards always behind rather than Infront or leading into space, defenders isolated to one on ones etc. It is constantly all over the ground.

Every team has their weaknesses, but I feel our biggest weakness is our coaching staff and their reluctance to adapt.

It is clear the gameplan isnt working.. teams with solid gameplan can bring in multiple players when required who each play a role and they will still achieve success.

Our structures are terrible. Our defenders are routinely isolated with little support from our midfielders who either don't work hard enough, or have been told not to work back into. We don't apply enough pressure on the ball carrier at ive mentioned, which allows them to buy time to make a better choice with the ball rather than ours of throwing it on the boot and hope. Combine these two and that's the main reason why opposition teams find so much space in their F50 because they have time with the ball and have 1 on 1 contents up forward.. when we have the ball moving forward we are slow or bleeding obvious we will kick long to H - allowing the opposition to get numbers back to intercept or create a turn over.

Sorry for the rant but I'm sick of our amateur coaching. I may be wrong about some things but I feel our deficiencies are obvious and could be addressed, to some degree, by the above

this is coming from a bloke who played low grade amateur footy, so imagine what other clubs coaching groups think about us.

Actually Eddie has had one or two decent games all year - as in ABOVE AVERAGE. Those games (5 and 3 goals) have distorted is general goal kicking stats.

Beyond that he constantly goes for the miracle mark, miracle goal and provides commentary highlights and spectacular vision - these rarely come off but when they do his failures are all forgiven.

Carltons problems stem from lack of forward pressure on the rebound - and our small forwards failing to contribute around the ground- CLEARLY that review shows Honeys capability to do just that.

Eddies stats have been among the WORST for forwards this year - from contested possessions, marks, disposals, tackles etc - all middle to lower order - and many so low they do not even make the list.

Sorry he stats are terrible - really, really bad.

I called on Teague to see this game for what it was - a make or break game to make the changes coming in to address the injury problems we have with smaller forward line and chaos balls - bring in speed, youth, the kids and let at at.

Instead with the largest injury list all season to our forward line - he tried to "recreate" the tall forward system and brought in even more older bodies.

Betts is symptomatic of Teagues problems which start at the selection table. He has a single vision and bends everything to meet that single view - rather than being adaptable.

Whats worse is this vision is sacrificing the development of the kids which can only happen by giving them opportunities.

Every other club sees this. But people on this board seem to think a player must play like Dusty Martin or kick 5 goals every week and SMASH the door down to get a game - while every other club FLIES PAST CARLTON by developing their kids in the AFL - an entirely different system and game to the VFL.

Can I see this list you’re talking about regarding Betts? It looks like you’re seeing an issue that isn’t there, averaging just over 10 possessions, 3 marks and 1.6 goals a game, that’s pretty good.

the rest I agree with, but Betts is the least of our issues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice vitriole. Eddie is offering exactly what we wanted. A crumbling pressure forward who is providing leadership for the forward line. He is even pressuring up the ground to show he is evolving with the game.
Who is he holding back? Owies has come on. Fisher is still contributing and even pushing back into the midfield. Honey would be the only one I would give a game to and Teague should have tested Eddie for a block earlier and given Honey a block of games.
Eddie gets a pass this year for mine.

What leadership ? Define this please. He does not get up the ground, has one of the lowest possession, disposal and mark count of almost any forward in the comp - his stats are appalling. Seriously bad.

His stats against all other forwards in the comp are so bad on some he does not EVEN RATE - (only lists up to 75).

Who is he holding back? Here is one of the few match reports we have had this year from the VFL.

Other "older players" are absolutely BLITZING hence they get their spot - Eddie has way below average on almost every metric - he only has an average goal tally because of one 5 goal game. He has kick 1 goal or LESS 8 times this year.

Sorry you are flat out wrong on Eddie his stats are terrible, his goal kicking is mediocre, there can be no leadership without high numbers in general play if he isns't kicking goals

Just been through the second half and noted every single bounce - passages of play etc. Made note of every player at every bounce etc.

Overall our problem stem directly from lack of run. Murphy is the captain of this issue. He is a jogger at best.

Newnes had his best game of the year with 20 possessions and 2 goals - a free and a very lucky bomb - however he is a complete liability. I thought this before - but he is constantly caught out, beaten by his opponent, fails to run.

Newman is a liability - frequently failing to run, doesn't stick tackles, (Murphy in this).

Murphy and Newnes were on the wing at every single bounce except maybe one where SPS took Murphies spot - needed a rest since coming on as sub obviously.

Teague moved Newnes back in the last when Weitering went forward - his free man was immediately used.

We have a high press which was just shredded.

Stocker is failing to find position, failing to run, as did Newman as did Williamson and SPS.

Players were guarding space and behind NOrth allowing easy chip passes.

Players were either frequently watching the ball and their players would escape.

Players were watching their man and failing to watch the defensive 50.

Fundamentally we lost this game through very poor game plan - it really is obvious - high press, zero defensive plan, total lack of running on the rebound.

Murphy should never be in the team again - it really is that bad.

Kennedy is an incredibly underrated player.

It will completely depend on what type of coach. Getting a new coach can also be a cop out for players and a "reprieve" until he finds his feet. The coach would need to have a characteristic than demands standards through a type of fear. Playing for your coach because you like him will only last so long as things are going well. When the wheel turns, as it seems to be the case, players don't really fear the consequences.

Look at the last how many premiership coaches, they all seem to have some kind of nasty streak about them.

Ross Lyon

If we were going to pick and stick with a coach, it should've been Bolton. The review should've been announced and conducted at the conclusion of 2019, and there should've been a process of review followed then and there. Instead, we had a new and untried CEO bring in a new untried head of football, who instigated reviews in miniature of each department; those reviews saw us bring in Andrew Russell, and saw us turf SOS. We got rid of Bolton off the back of a lack of results and supposedly having lost the playing group; the tail again wags the dog at Carlton. We put into place Teague as a caretaker, but the club liked the positive boost they got from his attacking style - borne as much from the new coach bounce as it was from an improved method - and the fans and the players liked him. So, instead of reviewing the coaching department properly - as should be done each and every time a coach is dismissed - they simply installed a first time coach without adequate support around him, and we watched as we made again some rookie, rookie mistakes.

I have a question. Does anyone think that Bolton, if he inherited the list Teague did at the time Teague did it, would've done a worse job? He, who had been with Hawthorn during their trio of premierships and knew the value of listening to the injury and rehab group when they tell you a player is both not right to play and not fit?

But that's probably enough navel gazing as far as the past is concerned.

The task before Sayers is twofold. One: he needs to be able to pull the reins a bit. The club, the fanbase, the players; all are discontent, fuming, liable to react and thus to overreact. To let Liddle handle it would be like throwing kerosene on a housefire. He needs to put himself and MLG in front of a camera, and he needs to calm things down. This year has not gone to plan, and the club know that; if you need to, throw in another 'acutely aware' ironic jab at how they know just as we do how they are judged on victories alone. But he needs to go into bat and make it about us; not Teague, not Williams or McGovern or Martin, not Murphy or Andrew Russell or MLG. Are we Carlton, or does Carlton not exist? Don't let them single anyone out, don't let it be about Teague or any individual; don't let the fans, the players or the media scapegoat anyone. The second the analysis shows get up and running this week, give them something else to do than to point out individual failings.

This is not an easy task, but it's a hell of a lot easier than the second one.

Two: he needs to ensure that the review is truly independent, that the terms are broad and adhered to, and - the most critical - that the recommendations are followed. This is not something that is done at Carlton; we don't let others judge us. But this time, we simply must; we need to break the cycle of turf coach, playing group perform, injuries, players drop their heads, turf coach. We need to stop the tail wagging the dog, even if it means forced retirements for some and bad trades for others. We need to promote and demote certain players from the leadership group, and we need to look at a way to ensure the players have adequate voice without letting them opt not to perform because they don't like the coach.

We need to ensure that the messaging from the club matches the reality. We were going into this season with 10+ injuries and not enough KPP depth; why were we being told that finals was the reality when we were never going to get there without a tremendous bit of luck? Why is each and every press release seemingly done at the specific time to try to take fire off the club? Cain Liddle - for all that he's been able to do to get the off-field strong and membership soaring - is not a leader; he's a marketer. He leads for optics; he is akin to our prime minister in that way. It's not the way to make good decisions, and it's not the way to be successful in an industry that requires more.

And finally, we need to ensure that whoever is coach next year - whether Teague, Clarko, or Dennis Pagan again - they have adequate support around them, both in the football department and in the injury/rehab departments. I've been harping on this for a while, but the key to Brisbane's success and our lack has been their ability to keep their players on the park for longer and their home ground advantage. Fixing the coaching and playing the correct players in the correct positions is one thing that can be solved rather quickly; what cannot be solved quickly is the fact that almost every week for the past 5 seasons we have been dealing with an 10+ player injury list. You cannot operate a football club with on average 25% of your list unavailable. No club can cover 25-40% of their list being out for almost 5 years; it doesn't solely create structural issues, it wreaks havoc on development, confidence, list balance, list profile. Look at us as a club; outside Murphy, Betts and Casboult, we're still pretty ******* young but you wouldn't know it from our ones, would you?

If we do not get this right, we will be here again, and the task will begin over until someone shows themselves capable of building something. MLG's attempt at rebuilding us from the wreckage was noteworthy; we are in an infinitely better situation than we were in 2015. But this is a task that requires follow-through, and it cannot be halted for anything or anyone. We tried to rebuild a list without talent without a list management department; all we had really was SOS and Brodie. We tried to field a team with a debutant coach only to cut his senior support within a season. We didn't review our injury/rehab/development programs until 2020, 5 full seasons after the start of the rebuild. It took real bravery to do what he did, and without him we'd be f’ed, but it behoves us to look on what he did and to strive to do better.

Build on it, instead of tearing it down.
Absolutely 100% agree.

Only thing is the 2018 spoon, which included that loss to 16man GWS, should have been the trigger for the full scale review.

It should have been the moment Boltons tenure ended or senior support added...

It should have been the moment where a professional coaching process was run.

It was the sliding doors moment, where the club placated us with Lloyd, an "internal review" with no results released and free membership upgrades.

If the board did a proper review then, rather than look to sure up their positions, we wouldnt have had a Teague era.

For that, top down they need to be held to account.

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

Can I see this list you’re talking about regarding Betts? It looks like you’re seeing an issue that isn’t there, averaging just over 10 possessions, 3 marks and 1.6 goals a game, that’s pretty good.

the rest I agree with, but Betts is the least of our issues.

People go on and on about his stats - his goals are pretty average - but for other players in that area they offer so much more around the ground.

Again if Eddie was with a presence like Kennedy, Reiwoldt or Franklin - then maybe or around the ground like Mundy, Burgoyne, Smith, Zorko, Robinson .

But he isn't some big forward, and he inst blitzing around the ground -

Out of AFL forwards Eddie Ranks:

33rd contested possessions

Uncontested Possessions - does not make the list out of 75

Disposals - does not make the list out of 75

Last for marks 75th

Meaningless stats for a small forward - goals, tackles inside 50, goal assists, 1%ers

People go on and on about his stats - his goals are pretty average - but for other players in that area they offer so much more around the ground.

Again if Eddie was with a presence like Kennedy, Reiwoldt or Franklin - then maybe or around the ground like Mundy, Burgoyne, Smith, Zorko, Robinson .

But he isn't some big forward, and he inst blitzing around the ground -

Out of AFL forwards Eddie Ranks:

33rd contested possessions

Uncontested Possessions - does not make the list out of 75

Disposals - does not make the list out of 75

Last for marks 75th
Why the * are you measuring a forward by midfielder metrics?

Why the fu** are you measuring a forward by midfielder metrics?

Why the fu** is Eddie last in those metrics out of every single forward in the comp ??!

Because he is a small forward who should be contributing outside of just taking hangers and the odd goal - that is a seriously self evident fact anyone should know.

Meaningless stats for a small forward - goals, tackles inside 50, goal assists, 1%ers

And yet all other forwards are better than him - his contribution around the ground outside of taking hangars that don't come off are the worst of any forward in the comp.

This includes all the big forwards who should not have this obligation.

Back