Autopsy Rd 20 Blues never threatened in encouraging win

Who played well for the Blues in Rd 20 vs the Saints?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe not directly, but surely we didn't conduct it expecting big ticks for everyone so we could carry on as we were?

No, I'm sure that it will identify problems, mainly in process etc. It then will be up to the board to decide whether there needs to be sackings and exactly who needs to go.

The review won't decide whether Teague is sacked or not, it won't decide whether anybody needs to be sacked.
I dont think anyone on BF will have seen the terms of reference for the review so we are all guessing.

I would guess that there would be a number of key findings and recommendations of practices / processes etc that need to change and from that the Board would determine who would be best placed to implement them. It is unlikely the report will come out and recommend who needs to be moved on.

No, I'm sure that it will identify problems, mainly in process etc. It then will be up to the board to decide whether there needs to be sackings and exactly who needs to go.
Haha beat me to it.

Yeah I probably should have left the word "review" out of my response to chunkylover53, and kept it more generally as "they must've been told something".

My response was more around the psychology of a playing group that produces a season-best performance, after potentially being made aware of something that we are not privy to.

Yeah I probably should have left the word "review" out of my response to chunkylover53, and kept it more generally as "they must've been told something".

My response was more around the psychology of a playing group that produces a season-best performance, after potentially being made aware of something that we are not privy to.

Right, well I'm sure that they'd all be aware of the talk around town generally, I'm sure that a lot of them will be playing out of their skins in an attempt to impress now just in case. With the uncertainty comes concern for their own careers as well.

Our season best performance as it were is pure coincidence as far as I am concerned. Nothing to do with a review which players know well happens all the time just not always so publicly. Its just the gradual gelling of a team being built. There has been a lot of setbacks. They should be applauded not lambasted.

The problem is the discontent that it creates (we're having an external review for a reason), and might lose some of those talented players.

I don't think that we initiated a review to look at whether players are happy, neither was it initiated to specifically looking at coaching, it goes deeper than that. It should be examing all of the processes being followed in all areas of the football department.

At the end of the day, I guess players have a choice to stay or leave, up to them. I don't care how talented anyone thinks they are, if they want to go, I say see you later. At some point, you have to fall in line and do what is required of you.

I'd rather somebody with half the talent who is fully committed, being talented isn't a guarantee of a player succeeding, it's just one part of what it takes to be an AFL player.

I don't think that we initiated a review to look at whether players are happy, neither was it initiated to specifically looking at coaching, it goes deeper than that. It should be examing all of the processes being followed in all areas of the football department.

At the end of the day, I guess players have a choice to stay or leave, up to them. I don't care how talented anyone thinks they are, if they want to go, I say see you later. At some point, you have to fall in line and do what is required of you.

I'd rather somebody with half the talent who is fully committed, being talented isn't a guarantee of a player succeeding, it's just one part of what it takes to be an AFL player.

It's naive to think that all players will be equally committed regardless of coaching, club culture etc.
What do you think about Docherty, and Yeo, who walked out of a basket case Brisbane Lions?

Sometimes it's the individual's fault, but sometimes it's the club.
And we're having the review for a reason. It's not about individuals' happiness, but about the failure of our football department.

Last year saints finished 6th. We finished 11th.

Right now we are above them on the ladder. Yet we've got 50x the bad press.

I mean we've deserved all the criticism, but it just shows the media picks one story and just piles on.
Yep, watch and compare the two coaches pressers..

saints were supposed to be top 4 and ratts basically got his feet washed by the journo’s.

It's naive to think that all players will be equally committed regardless of coaching, club culture etc.
What do you think about Docherty, and Yeo, who walked out of a basket case Brisbane Lions?

Sometimes it's the individual's fault, but sometimes it's the club.
And we're having the review for a reason. It's not about individuals' happiness, but about the failure of our football department.

There was more than just Docherty and Yeo who walked out of Brisbane that year, there were 5 or 6 of them and the issues Brisbane faced in holding onto those players were particular to clubs like theirs. None of it actually relates to our situation. At the end of the day, the players wanted to go, they went. Mainly they left to go home.

If you're telling me that we are facing a similar case of player unrest with them wanting to leave en masse I just don't believe that to be the case at all. If one or two choose to go, that's up to them. I see that in 6 years up until now we have re-signed every player that the Club has wanted to. I'm not concerned. Whatever our problems are we aren't Brisbane of 2013.

I'm sure that there have been things that have been done wrongly by people in the football department, those processes will be looked at by the review panel. All this argument over who should have got a game and when I think it's a problem that exists in people's minds here more than anything.

As I've said I have no issue with how the players are now being developed, when they are actually selected to play they are ready to go.

Our season best performance as it were is pure coincidence as far as I am concerned. Nothing to do with a review which players know well happens all the time just not always so publicly. Its just the gradual gelling of a team being built. There has been a lot of setbacks. They should be applauded not lambasted.

Same as the first Freo game, the side came out breathing fire after embarrassing themselves the previous weekend. Good for them - but it's only meaningful to the extent that they can back it up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want Teague to stick around, but it would be nice if he got some specific questions at this presser about not previously playing LOB etc
That presser was something alright. When are the journos going to stop being campaigners and ask about the info the fans want to know about. (The players)

Hope that last night results in JSOS spending more time in the middle of the ground. Even if it’s to give Cripps a chop out every now and then, but his work rate is so much more valuable around the ball rather than half a dozen times when the ball goes forward.
An interesting stat from last night was we lost the hitout count by 59. Was 11 to 70i think yet only lost the clearance count by 3. If your midfield are switched on and are setting up properly to accommodate thier ruck dominance it does give you another versatile runner through the midfield. Jack was great last night. Getting the best out of himself.

An interesting stat from last night was we lost the hitout count by 59. Was 11 to 70i think yet only lost the clearance count by 3. If your midfield are switched on and are setting up properly to accommodate thier ruck dominance it does give you another versatile runner through the midfield. Jack was great last night. Getting the best out of himself.

which goes to show let the on ballers play a little bit on “see ball get ball” instinct rather than “setting up” to structure that has not been working.

I'm sure it's a number of things that they set as marks they need to hit along the way. Performance in reserves/scratch matters in terms of somebody had this many possessions etc IMO means little. Players are given areas they need to improve in. This is development.

I'm happy that LOB came in and played well, wouldn't have been so happy if he was brought in 8 weeks earlier if he wasn't ready to do so.

You're too stuck on who is actually playing without looking at why they are playing. Players like Gibbons, Cottrell, Newnes, Newman, are role players who fill gaps in the side as long as it takes to get their replacements ready. They don't hinder any younger players' development, they actually enable it to happen properly.

Most likely scenario is that they were given a chance bc we had given up on the season, pressure from outside, more injuries etc .. Far less likely that they just happened to meet the standards that have been set for them in the same week that we seemingly lost control of our shot at finals, particularly considering the format of the ressies games. The inclusion of an underdone Charlie is further evidence of this ..

They clearly had a (flawed) view this season that the B/C/D grade mature-bodied players gave us the best shot at success.

Yep, watch and compare the two coaches pressers..

saints were supposed to be top 4 and ratts basically got his feet washed by the journo’s.

Saints have debt of >$20M and teh AFL is the underwriter - always always follow the money and when that fails- check again. :thumbsu:

Back