Autopsy RD 22 Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

I learned what I had always known. But for the first time this season had some doubts.

That was until rd22 where Geelong put on a display proving they're by far the most capable side in the competition.

There's a bit of Chris Scott about this..! Well done......
News Flash - You won't be playing fremantle and at the cattery come September!

That's right though, Richmond plays a fairly simple gameplan that is partly manic pressure ala Collingwood 2010 and partly Pagans Paddock. They're very good at it and no one can fully counter it yet.
Only 4 games left to counter it. For what it’s worth I think we have another gear to go in September, I think this week v the dogs we’ll go flat out and treat like a final.

Liked: ending Essendons faint finals aspirations

Hated: the umpires are still absolutely shafting us. -110 and counting.

Trenchant statistical analysis.
Look at the way the tigers tackle and approach the ball carrier- always going to give away a few

Only 4 games left to counter it. For what it’s worth I think we have another gear to go in September, I think this week v the dogs we’ll go flat out and treat like a final.
You must be extremely confident this year’s premiership is in the bag.

Trenchant statistical analysis.
Look at the way the tigers tackle and approach the ball carrier- always going to give away a few

Uh huh, so if you were right, that MIGHT explain why they give away so many, but how does it explain why they also receive fewer than any other team?

Remember, we cop it both ways from the umps. Highest against, lowest for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d go one step further and suggest part of their strategy may be to actually purposely give away frees in order to slow the game down when they are out of position.
That's the elephant in the room in the free kick debate. Aussie rules is the only football code that doesn't penalise professional fouls harshly.

We do it at times, and a lot of clubs do. You have to be able to hold the play up by making sure the ball isn't available for the quick play on though.

Uh huh, so if you were right, that MIGHT explain why they give away so many, but how does it explain why they also receive fewer than any other team?

Remember, we cop it both ways from the umps. Highest against, lowest for.

It is an interesting question- my guiding principle with statistical analysis is that there is always a reason.
I would be interested to see a breakdown of the type of frees they are low in-
perhaps they are extremely effective at spreading the ball when they do take possession, thus limiting the opposition's chance to give away free kicks in the tackle? Perhaps they have a more considered, or precise delivery into the forward fifty, meaning marking context infringements are obviated?
maybe they go short more often- fewer free kicks in that scenario too I'd warrant.

Usually a team that wins easily ought to have fewer free kicks for.

It is an interesting question- my guiding principle with statistical analysis is that there is always a reason.
I would be interested to see a breakdown of the type of frees they are low in-
perhaps they are extremely effective at spreading the ball when they do take possession, thus limiting the opposition's chance to give away free kicks in the tackle? Perhaps they have a more considered, or precise delivery into the forward fifty, meaning marking context infringements are obviated?
maybe they go short more often- fewer free kicks in that scenario too I'd warrant.

Usually a team that wins easily ought to have fewer free kicks for.

The two teams at the top of Frees for are WCE & Collingwood...2nd and 3rd on the ladder.

Want to try again?

BTW..They're also 4th and 2nd lowest in frees against. (Adelaide and North are 1st and 3rd)

Richmond isn't just at the bottom of frees for, we're a long way down..20 fewer than the next lowest 376 v 396, with the highest being 481...Statistically, Richmond aren't just 'the lowest', they're a significant outlier. Frees against are similar (although in that case, the Suns are close...but there is a similarly large gap to the 3rd highest..486, 481, then 461).

Point is, we're not just looking a few frees here, we're talking major discrepancies.

It's nothing to do with free agency :huh:
  • Hawthorn have one free agent in their team - James Frawley - he's been okay, nothing special.
  • Ricky Henderson was delisted by the Crows.
  • The Hawks traded a slew of 1st and 2nd round draft picks for Mitchell, O'Meara, Impey, McEvoy, Gunston and Burgoyne
  • Burton and Smith were selected at the very end of the 1st round of their drafts. Every club could've picked them.
  • Sicily, Hardwick, Morrison, Worpel, Miles, Stratton, Puopolo, Shiels and Howe were all selected with draft picks in the later rounds
  • Breust, Ceglar, Brand and Nash were all selected in the Rookie draft

Instead of whining about "the system" which actually helps the struggling clubs and handicaps the successful clubs, how about applauding the Swans and Hawks for overachieving thanks to their excellent list management and coaching?

And you call yourself a "football tragic", eh?

For decades the AFL had a mechanism to equalize the competition - the draft and trade system. Coupled with the salary cap, it awarded the clubs that drafted well, could develop their players and create a strong culture. My club failed to adjust for decades and was left trying to put bandaids over gaping wounds.

Sydney and Hawthorn are now reaping the rewards of establishing this strong culture. With the advent of free agency, they can attract players to supplement their core list as Sydney did with Tippett and Buddy and the hawks did with Frawley and are now attempting to do with Lynch. The problem is with this system is that it is taking us back to the old days of clubs competing against one another to recruit players. Teams such as yours and mine hold all the cards in this game while the smaller clubs (particularly if they are currently unsuccessful) will always hold a losing hand.

Lets put it this way - back in the 'Good Old Days' clubs like the Pies, Blues and Tiges would buy a premiership by going out and recuiting stars from other states and other teams. The players were attracted to the clubs because they had huge supporter bases and exposure, were perennially successful and had more to offer. Today we are seeing the same thing occurring. Clubs like Pies, Hawks and Tigers are extremely attractive to a player from a weaker club, particularly if they have family in Melbourne. Sydney is attractive because of their size and relatively ominous nature due to proximity.

This is NOT FAIR. The weaker teams need to spend all their effort trying to KEEP players while the larger clubs have the luxury of handpicking player they want to TAKE.

If I was just looking at it selfishly, as a Richmond supporter, I would say it the greatest thing every. We are now the biggest and most successful club in the land so we are in the box seat to attract the best players that suit our list from weaker clubs. We did it with Nankervis, Prestia and Caddy last year. We gained them for a handshake and packet of twisties and yet they were a massive reason we won the flag. Smart trading or unfair system? Well you could argue both but I think the size and strength of our club and list certainly helped.

I guess, my problem with seeing clubs like Sydney and the Hawks always in the finals isn't a shot at them as clubs. They have done an amazing job with what they have at their disposal. It's more about the flawed system that was created in good faith to give the players more freedom and say, but in the end has once again begun to create an inequitable competition.

I learned what I had always known. But for the first time this season had some doubts. That was until rd22 where Geelong put on a display proving they're by far the most capable side to finish 8th in the competition.
efa

For decades the AFL had a mechanism to equalize the competition - the draft and trade system. Coupled with the salary cap, it awarded the clubs that drafted well, could develop their players and create a strong culture. My club failed to adjust for decades and was left trying to put bandaids over gaping wounds.

Sydney and Hawthorn are now reaping the rewards of establishing this strong culture. With the advent of free agency, they can attract players to supplement their core list as Sydney did with Tippett and Buddy and the hawks did with Frawley and are now attempting to do with Lynch. The problem is with this system is that it is taking us back to the old days of clubs competing against one another to recruit players. Teams such as yours and mine hold all the cards in this game while the smaller clubs (particularly if they are currently unsuccessful) will always hold a losing hand.

Lets put it this way - back in the 'Good Old Days' clubs like the Pies, Blues and Tiges would buy a premiership by going out and recuiting stars from other states and other teams. The players were attracted to the clubs because they had huge supporter bases and exposure, were perennially successful and had more to offer. Today we are seeing the same thing occurring. Clubs like Pies, Hawks and Tigers are extremely attractive to a player from a weaker club, particularly if they have family in Melbourne. Sydney is attractive because of their size and relatively ominous nature due to proximity.

This is NOT FAIR. The weaker teams need to spend all their effort trying to KEEP players while the larger clubs have the luxury of handpicking player they want to TAKE.

If I was just looking at it selfishly, as a Richmond supporter, I would say it the greatest thing every. We are now the biggest and most successful club in the land so we are in the box seat to attract the best players that suit our list from weaker clubs. We did it with Nankervis, Prestia and Caddy last year. We gained them for a handshake and packet of twisties and yet they were a massive reason we won the flag. Smart trading or unfair system? Well you could argue both but I think the size and strength of our club and list certainly helped.

I guess, my problem with seeing clubs like Sydney and the Hawks always in the finals isn't a shot at them as clubs. They have done an amazing job with what they have at their disposal. It's more about the flawed system that was created in good faith to give the players more freedom and say, but in the end has once again begun to create an inequitable competition.
I agree but Nank, Prestia and Caddy aren’t good examples. They all came through trades, and would likely have happened without FA

Richmond should probably put in a performance like that being the reigning/minor premiers

We beat GC by 74 the week before, while resting our ruckman and having our captain only play half the game.

Sure, it's not as big a margin, but we don't need to push it like that because our margins all year have given us a pretty big percentage gap on everyone else. It's called consistency.

Liked: Flogging the Shockers and thereby staying in the finals race :D

Learned: If Richmond win this year's premiership, I won't mind it as much as last year - if they're good enough to win it, then they deserve it :shoutyoldman:

Hated: Hawthorn and everything they stand for :straining:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back