Preview Rd 23 Geelong V West Coast Sat Aug 20 435 Pm 2022 @ KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes to Ratugolea having finals experience

Not sure I can agree on the other parts of the bold - if anything, he's been shown to be wanting in those areas, and selecting him just because he has experience when we have other players in better form, doesn't really make sense
To be clear, I’m speaking in terms of pure depth. It’s not ideal we play Sav in a final and he has struggled since his injury in what was seeming like a break out year (2018/19?). But we don’t really have any other options so Sav needs to be seen again at senior level and this is the last chance for a run before finals.
For me there is no issue with him playing this game and it makes perfect sense regardless of how he has and where he’s been playing in VFL. At this stage on exposed form in the AFL, I would have him ahead of Neale, and that is purely because of age and experience. Neale would be picked ahead of him in 12 months time.

Last edited:

Is there a rule about how many players have to be on the ground for a club not to be fined or forfeit points?

I’m thinking ahead to midway through the final term if the Cats have a comfortable lead.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Uhhhh, isn’t not training the literal definition of resting?
Professional athletes rest from the contact not take a couple of weeks off their legs and aerobic elements at the pinnacle of their season.

It’s been uncovered today he is actually injured with a hip/upper leg complaint.

I'm assuming Ceglar isn't quite right else he'd be in the side so I see Sav ( if he rucks) as purely a stop gap measure- no more , no less - just get through the dead rubber game.
As Goyoucatters has hypothesised Ceglar could be a late in and Sav give SDK a rest - that's possible also I guess.
We also assume Ceglar has concussion. He just walked off in the magoos at the end of the first quarter 2 weeks ago. Certainly no obvious incident.

It will be interesting to see if he plays any football this week. We see Geelong with mysterious injury descriptions all the time. Duncan the latest.

I think I'm correct in saying that Esava hasn't played in the senior team since our Round 3 win over Collingwood.

In that game, the Pies got a run on in the 3rd quarter, kicking 9 out of 10 goals to get out to a 36 point lead. At the very next centre bounce, Esava injured his ankle, and went off the ground playing no further part in the game. From that moment on (literally within seconds of that injury), the Cats kicked 8 goals in a row, with the Pies kicking just one behind for the entire final quarter.

Now clearly, there are other aspects at play for that turnaround, but I think a big part of our renaissance this year is a different style of play that Esava does not fit into.

dead rubber 1 game fill in for Stanley. On the scale of things his form is unimportant.
He's a expendable warm body we can use this week to try and safeguard against critical injuries.

Why risk injuring Ceglar if he may be needed finals week 1 if Stanley doesn't come up? Use Sav as he's less critical and we literally cannot move position.
Thats such an illogical argument its mind boggling it was actually typed. Ceglar has played 1 afl game this year. He desperately needs match fitness. And there is a week off next week anyway. plus the midfield needs to get used to him as the ruckman.

yet you want to protect the back up ruck (not the main ruckman but the back up ruckman) who has had no match fitness when he has a week off anyway.

surely if we need to protect him then why not protect hawkins, danger, selwood and basically every player in the starting 22 who already have match fitness and are all more important then a back up player.

I think I'm correct in saying that Esava hasn't played in the senior team since our Round 3 win over Collingwood.

In that game, the Pies got a run on in the 3rd quarter, kicking 9 out of 10 goals to get out to a 36 point lead. At the very next centre bounce, Esava injured his ankle, and went off the ground playing no further part in the game. From that moment on (literally within seconds of that injury), the Cats kicked 8 goals in a row, with the Pies kicking just one behind for the entire final quarter.

Now clearly, there are other aspects at play for that turnaround, but I think a big part of our renaissance this year is a different style of play that Esava does not fit into.
certainly...

Yeah its called not having sav attend ruck contests.

in the last 8 games there have been two qtrs where we have been terrible. In both those qtrs we had no ruckman. Stanley injured himself and we were reliant on blicavs and neale and henry.

having good ruckman has always been the key. we are a significantly worse side if we dont have either a fit stanley or ceglar in the side.

but it seems like scott is desperate to try his no ruckman approach in a final again.

its only failed dramtically the last 5 times he played it. First final. Sav and blicavs to ruck while ceglar and stanley watch on.

in the last 8 games there have been two qtrs where we have been terrible. In both those qtrs we had no ruckman. Stanley injured himself and we were reliant on blicavs and neale and henry.

having good ruckman has always been the key. we are a significantly worse side if we dont have either a fit stanley or ceglar in the side.

but it seems like scott is desperate to try his no ruckman approach in a final again.

its only failed dramtically the last 5 times he played it. First final. Sav and blicavs to ruck while ceglar and stanley watch on.
Settle down. There’s no way Stanley doesn’t play the QF.
Esava won’t play the QF.

We also assume Ceglar has concussion. He just walked off in the magoos at the end of the first quarter 2 weeks ago. Certainly no obvious incident.

It will be interesting to see if he plays any football this week. We see Geelong with mysterious injury descriptions all the time. Duncan the latest.

Nothing assumed about it - the club confirmed it as concussion following the match, and he didn't play last week due to the 12 day mandatory rest period

"INJURIES: Ceglar (Concussion)"

Considering how much football he's missed this year, they aren't resting him from games for fun - would be better to get a run in his legs, and only reason he wouldn't play VFL is due to being unavailable

Hopefully he's right to go this week - either VFL or AFL level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could see Celglar coming in and DK being a late change with Sav playing back.
So almost certain Cegs will come in and Henry to go forward with SAV playing back.

But not convinced they will rest DK (young and fresh and has a bye coming up). So I don’t know who will be the late out?

If it wasn’t DK who would you think comes out to bring Cegs in (not a straight swap)

So almost certain Cegs will come in and Henry to go forward with SAV playing back.

But not convinced they will rest DK (young and fresh and has a bye coming up). So I don’t know who will be the late out?

If it wasn’t DK who would you think comes out to bring Cegs in (not a straight swap)

Why the doubt it'll be SDK?

Never mind the fact that we lost 3 of the next 6 games with him out of the side.

Just to be clear: no, I'm pretty sure our success this season has not been due to an injury to one of our own players in round 3.
:rolleyes:

Happy to see Sav in instead of Ceglar. Hope he goes well.
It's a conundrum for some supporters - the much maligned but still relatively youthful Sav or a veteran ruckman in his 30's

Re: bolded - on what basis are you interpolating that Scott doesn't want to play a ruckman in the finals? Literally every time Stanley is fit to play he has been in the side. This week we are being ultra conservative and resting guys who aren't 100%, as we should in a game with literally nothing riding on it..

Stanley will play in week 1 of the finals, barring an unforseen training injury between now and then. And if Stanley the unforseen injury happens and Stanley doesn't play Ceglar will (again, barring an unforseen training injury).

It's a conundrum for some supporters - the much maligned but still relatively youthful Sav or a veteran ruckman in his 30's
Not for me. I see no future in Ceglar at all, and will wait to be proven incorrect. Are we interested in Grundy? If so, that would settle that issue?

Re: bolded - on what basis are you interpolating that Scott doesn't want to play a ruckman in the finals? Literally every time Stanley is fit to play he has been in the side. This week we are being ultra conservative and resting guys who aren't 100%, as we should in a game with literally nothing riding on it..

Stanley will play in week 1 of the finals, barring an unforseen training injury between now and then. And if Stanley the unforseen injury happens and Stanley doesn't play Ceglar will (again, barring an unforseen training injury).
He’s based it off the 2019 QF.

I Don’t know why people are so triggered by selections this week.

Malcolm Blight once had the Geelong players to lineup and form a guard of honour as the Crows ran onto the field at Footy Park about 30 years ago. s**t, I hope we don't do that in the finals.

I don't get people melting because Sav is named as a forward. Has the side selected on Thursday EVER lined up in those spots on the weekend? As others have said, likely SDK or Stewart get a rest and Ceglar comes in. Sav goes down back and Blitz resumes normal service smashing most opposition mids and running the rest into the ground.
Sav has played in defence to help him play his forward craft. Happens often. I'm glad he gets his chance again.

Exactly- if there was no bye, and if this week meant something, sure, get stressed. All we want is the replacements to prove they are worthy if needed and no injuries or suspensions. Or should I say, all I want.

Not for me. I see no future in Ceglar at all, and will wait to be proven incorrect. Are we interested in Grundy? If so, that would settle that issue?
We didn't recruit Ceglar for the future. We recruited Ceglar as a contingency/back up plan for the next 5 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back