Autopsy Rd 9 Carlton v Brisbane Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

:eek:

Do you think the beard is a physical manifestation of the leftover mental issues he took away from the broken jaw he copped from that dirtbag last year? I've never thought about it that way. Thought beards were just the new mullets.

I really do hope we sort out the behind problem soon. Even the likes of Gibbs and Scotland were missing gettable shots Saturday night. Don't think we could afford to do that against Essendon or Hawthorn.

I know that a lot of players are wearing beards these days, but I think that in Simmo's case it is a physical manifestation for his concerns. He took a heavy knock to the head, broke his jaw and had he out cold for a few minutes. I think that he is assuming that having the heavy beard might just provide a bit of cushioning to the chin in case of another heavy hit.

I am very concerned about how our goal kicking has deteriorated over the past 2 seasons or so with Barker in charge. I have said in the past that he wasnt much chop as a forward himself, so how is he supposed to coach players in how to lead and how to kick at goal.

Our boys go back on the mark and none of them check wind direction by throwing up a bit of grass to see which way it goes. While it isnt essential, it can help settle them down a bit.

It was only the second quarter. Moloney had very little influence in the 1st, 3rd and 4th quarters, and Cachia ended up with more possessions and more clearances.
Agreed, you could spin it that when Cachia took back control in the 3rd, it went a long way to swinging the momentum and putting us up by 5 goals at the break.

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, but Curnow played a decent game. He isn't panicking as much with the footy anymore which is good to see (although there was one instance where he had spent it before he had even marked it :D ).

I also noticed that Waite was being 'nice' to the umpires, as in handing the ball back to them for throw ins and ball ups and not complaining about not getting a free kick.

I also noticed that Waite was being 'nice' to the umpires, as in handing the ball back to them for throw ins and ball ups and not complaining about not getting a free kick.

Noticed that too!

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, but Curnow played a decent game. He isn't panicking as much with the footy anymore which is good to see (although there was one instance where he had spent it before he had even marked it :D ).

Waite always gives the ball to the boundary umps. I saw him at a party few years back and he was very respectful to the hosts, think he is a nice individual just an angry man on the football field.

Waite always gives the ball to the boundary umps. I saw him at a party few years back and he was very respectful to the hosts, think he is a nice individual just an idiot on the football field.

I was surprised by a lot of voters giving votes to Cachia, his man just about tore him a new one in the first half I thought.

Lucky AJ or Boots were not playing on Maloney.
As pointed out by some other posters, Moloney got away from Cachia for about 15 mins in the second quarter, during which time he had 10 disposals. For the other 3 1/2 quarters, Moloney had 7 disposals. As a comparison, Moloney had averaged 24 disposals per game for the first 8 rounds of the season. Significantly, Moloney's 17 disposals came at DE of 35%, whilst Cachia's 20 disposals came at 85%.

For me, it was the fact that Cachia didn't panic after Moloney's 15 minute explosion, but stuck to his guns & ensured that Moloney had no impact on the game in the 2nd half, that swayed me to put him in the votes. It was quite apparent that without Moloney getting his hands on the ball, the Brions had lost the influence of their midfield prime-mover.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As pointed out by some other posters, Moloney got away from Cachia for about 15 mins in the second quarter, during which time he had 10 disposals. For the other 3 1/2 quarters, Moloney had 7 disposals. As a comparison, Moloney had averaged 24 disposals per game for the first 8 rounds of the season. Significantly, Moloney's 17 disposals came at DE of 35%, whilst Cachia's 20 disposals came at 85%.

For me, it was the fact that Cachia didn't panic after Moloney's 15 minute explosion, but stuck to his guns & ensured that Moloney had no impact on the game in the 2nd half, that swayed me to put him in the votes. It was quite apparent that without Moloney getting his hands on the ball, the Brions had lost the influence of their midfield prime-mover.

Very, very well put.

It can't be underestimated how much the Bears rely on someone like Moloney in the midfield, especially with their young brigade. Was a very good pickup for them; he seems like a bit of a flog but he can play and hunts the ball like no tomorrow.

Before the game I knew he would be a problem we would have to try to fix; after all, he was also very good in their SHAB Cup win over us.

Jaryd's efforts after the 2nd quarter were instrumental I thought.

:thumbsu: welcome champo...
Thanks thylacine. Been lurking the forum for a bit, but don't post much. It was such an 'aha' moment, though, so I couldn't help myself. Thanks to Dramoth for pointing that out.

I am very concerned about how our goal kicking has deteriorated over the past 2 seasons or so with Barker in charge. I have said in the past that he wasnt much chop as a forward himself, so how is he supposed to coach players in how to lead and how to kick at goal.

Our boys go back on the mark and none of them check wind direction by throwing up a bit of grass to see which way it goes. While it isnt essential, it can help settle them down a bit.
From the coach:
There have been comments made that we need to improve our goal kicking. It must be remembered however, that missing a goal is unintentional. When the opposition has a run-on, we have to adjust something particular about the way we play, and unfortunately we are not doing it as much as we need to. Therefore, that's what we have to practice, more so than anything else.

I tend to agree, but I wish it was something we could address. As was mentioned here or another thread, it's hard to replicate match conditions. On one hand, if we get the gettable shots, we can maintain scoreboard pressure and the momentum. On the other, good sides will inevitably get their hands on the footy, and no amount of goal-kicking ability is going to help if the ball's in the other forward half. The likes of Kreuzer have demonstrated in the past that they're a good set shot, so I hope it's something the boys can get over in time for when the ability to convert really matters (though with how tight the competition is and the matter of percentage, one could say it always does).

Thanks thylacine. Been lurking the forum for a bit, but don't post much. It was such an 'aha' moment, though, so I couldn't help myself. Thanks to Dramoth for pointing that out.

From the coach:
There have been comments made that we need to improve our goal kicking. It must be remembered however, that missing a goal is unintentional. When the opposition has a run-on, we have to adjust something particular about the way we play, and unfortunately we are not doing it as much as we need to. Therefore, that's what we have to practice, more so than anything else.

I tend to agree, but I wish it was something we could address. As was mentioned here or another thread, it's hard to replicate match conditions. On one hand, if we get the gettable shots, we can maintain scoreboard pressure and the momentum. On the other, good sides will inevitably get their hands on the footy, and no amount of goal-kicking ability is going to help if the ball's in the other forward half. The likes of Kreuzer have demonstrated in the past that they're a good set shot, so I hope it's something the boys can get over in time for when the ability to convert really matters (though with how tight the competition is and the matter of percentage, one could say it always does).

These momentum swings against us that Malthouse has talking about have cost us three finals though. http://finalsiren.com/MatchDetails.asp?GameID=5632&Code=08104a5225e08db15e62a03130f68729

Started that game like a house on fire but let WC kick 8 goals in the 2nd quarter and played catch up football for the rest of the game. Choking in the 2009 and 2010 finals as well is a example of why we need to eliminate these fade outs since I know plenty of supporters who aren't comfortable in games unless we are 40 points up.

From the coach:

I disagree to an extent. too many easy set shots are being missed. I put together a short clip :p

Bigfooty Blues - Round 9 Missed Goals Compilation

I disagree to an extent. too many easy set shots are being missed. I put together a short clip :p

Bigfooty Blues - Round 9 Missed Goals Compilation

It's a worry when a team has a clip nearly 4 and a half minutes long full of missed shots for goal :(

Having said that, I can see what Mick means by a full moon or something. Some of those shots looked pretty good... then veered wildly at the last second.

It's a worry when a team has a clip nearly 4 and a half minutes long full of missed shots for goal :(

Having said that, I can see what Mick means by a full moon or something. Some of those shots looked pretty good... then veered wildly at the last second.

Don't they keep a GPS in the ball these days?

Perhaps it has a remote control in there? :D

Yeah. You have almost 20 there Wookie.

I had 11 of those that should be kicked by most AFL footballers.
If we had have missed 4 or 5 we wouldn't be discussing it, but to miss so many easy ones really stood out on Saturday night.

Didn't cost us the game.....................this time.

I reckon that if Robinson marks in front of goal, he should increase his angle and snap the set shot over his shoulder. Just feel it might increase his accuracy %.

I note that the commentators said during the game that Lucas normally had problems with his kicking. I know he has only had 12 goals 11 thus far, but I consider him a decent shot as far as realistic attempts go.

I note that the commentators said during the game that Lucas normally had problems with his kicking. I know he has only had 12 goals 11 thus far, but I consider him a decent shot as far as realistic attempts go.

I think 12.11 fits him perfectly tbh, toss of a coin type of kick. Certainly not a strong point, but not necessarily a huge weakness. Much like his field kicking really.

I reckon that if Robinson marks in front of goal, he should increase his angle and snap the set shot over his shoulder. Just feel it might increase his accuracy %.
Clearly the Steve Johnson method of kicking for goal (adopted by a number of his teammates) could be beneficial for those Carlton players who find running directly at the goals as a challenge.

For a kick which became preferred due to its accuracy, the drop punt is proving to be not so accurate when used by many for kicking at goal. Obviously technique is having a lot to do with this, with so many players having some sort of arc/deviation in their run-up. The rule of thumb with kicking for goal was always that the ball would go in the exact direction the player was facing. In other words, if a player veers towards the behind area when shooting for goal, the ball will go through for a behind. With so few players walking/running straight towards the goals, is it any wonder so many shots on goal are being missed right across the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back