Autopsy Rd 9 - If only games went for 1 quarter aka Still the Hawks bunnies

Remove this Banner Ad

My brief take on tonight at first glance, for what it’s worth...

I think whilst most are focussed on what we did with the ball, what really cost us tonight was defensive structures (around the ground as a whole, not the defenders)...that is not in the immediate contest, were I thought our intensity and pressure was pretty good, but more so when the hawks got clear possession...

specifically, although it was somewhat difficult to tell from tv, the hawks defensive structures appeared very, very good, to the extent that they denied us the overlap player we like to find when we have the ball in hand, and shifted their zone very quickly when we attempted to switch the ball...that seemed to cause (or at least play a part in) our indecision with ball in hand and resultant skill errors...

you can’t always blame the ball carrier...sometimes teams set up so well behind the ball that it can cause the ball carrier to look silly...

On the other side, our defensive structures were not well set and they consistently got out the back of our zone, leading to a lot of uncontested footy...

Although this has been a problem to varying extents in all our games, i think this is a work in progress and those team structures requires the players to play a lot of footy together...one weak link brings the whole chain undone...

Finally, yes we were poor after quarter time, but I don’t think people should undersell how good Hawthorn were...I haven’t seen too many of their other games this year but could only think this was one of their best games...

That was a joke. Serious changes need to be made next week. If Moore plays another game for us I am out. He wasn’t the only one though to be fair.
thought he only stopped when everyone else did........

Great post, my only exception is the geriatric comment. Their ins were quality and there is a fine line between geriatric and mature. Today their mature, experienced bodies bullied us around the park. If we got them last week, it would be a different narrative. We were flat out bad today, like Bolton bad.
Fair point but you must admit, they aren't on the up. We are meant to be.

Yes it was incredibly frustrating that we just switched off after that first quarter, but this is a young side so inconsistency should be expected.

We're probably not a finals team this year, this year was about starting to turn the corner and showing that when we're on, we can compete with any team in the comp, which we have and then some.

Next year and beyond our growth will come from making sure we're always "on". This will come once our important players start getting more experience. Some perspective about a few of our passengers tonight:

Cuningham: 34 games
Setterfield: 29 games
Walsh: 31 games

Plus we have names like Charlie Curnow, Zac Fisher, Paddy Dow, Lochie O'Brien, Brodie Kemp, Liam Stocker, TDK etc. etc. who have seen no game-time this year apart from Fish and Paddy, who all have room for growth and add weapons we currently don't have at our disposal.

Consistency will come with time. We've seen how good we can be multiple times this year, which I guess makes games like these all the more frustrating. I'm not saying you have to be happy with losses like these, just maybe accept that these are a part of the journey.

The opposition deliberately play through Murphy's man a lot because he is non-existent defensively. He gets beaten in contests of speed, strength, in the air, and can't tackle. He may still look okay moving forward with ball in hand, but it's just not enough any more. If you can't defend then you put the whole team under pressure time and time again.

We need to wake up to this.

Been a great servant of the club but it might be just about time, unfortunately.

Barker has Murphy’s back
Teague has Barker’s back
Lloyd has Teague’s back
Liddle has Lloyd’s back
The unholy alliance
To the victors go the spoils
And here we are

Long time lurker. Occasional poster but felt the need to launch after this evening.

Possibly the most disappointed with the team in some time and that is saying something (as we all know where we've been since Malthouse destroyed our club). If we think we are close we are delusional. Time to wake up.

Callum Moore? Why is he even on the list let alone get a game in front of what is meant to be the future (TDK).
Murph? I'm sorry son. Thanks for the time and effort. You have been grand but it's over.
Simmo. Sad to say (so very sad) but if we are to move forward you are not out future.
Most of the kids had a shocker but will forgive for now.

Teague. Please please please invest in the next 10 years rather than struggle ourselves to 12th. We don't care about a struggling win against mid table sides like North. It's proper finals or f_off. Getting a deadset hiding from a geriatric Hawthorn side kicks me in the guts. Especially given that they are coached by bloke that we must all despise after destroying Ian Aitken's career with the cheapest of cheap shots in a "friendly" in London (Thanks Jimmy B for not letting that go without repercussion on the day).

Please, please play Fish. Please play TDK. Please play Stoker if he's available. Please play Dow when he's available. O'brien too. SOS when he's ready. If they are no good then f them off and move on. Have a crack at the next one.

Cottell, Owies, Philp, Honey. Let's find out FFS.

Newnes not the answer. 2 lucky goals then F all.

GIbbo stays. He has a crack. Jack M (so very very lucky that he chose us - thanks Crippa and Eddie).

If we don't have a significant change in the side next week then I may just tune out for the rest of the year. Never done that before but this game has put a pin in the balloon like nothing before and I've seen the worst of it. Even stayed at Colonial Stadium to the end while Mick Martin waltzed down from full back to kick a goal to put North 120 points up 15 odd years ago. Then we picked him up. Wow. That was a low point.

Been Carlton since my Grandfather told me there was no other side and he was in the change rooms with Ken Hands.

Let's truly find out what the future looks like cos right now we are nothing more a bunch of also rans before the rebuild has even been given a chance.

Man. That was hard not to proper swear.....

Great post. Agree to most if not all.

That game was just weird. Seemed like we just stopped playing after the first quarter. Don't remember ever seeing another game where the old cliche about the teams swapping jumpers at quarter time seemed more apt.

At half time I still thought we were right in it. After a bad quarter Teague normally finds the right changes to turn things around, but not today. Think this might be the first game this year where we've lost more than two quarters.

Most teams have had an out and out stinker at some point this year, and this was ours. Maybe it's a covid thing, who knows. Right now it's a one off so I'm not too concerned.

At least nobody is talking about slow starts any more.

A lot of people seem keen to overgeneralise today's game in ways that just don't stack up. We don't know how to win as favourites? See the game 6 days ago. We don't know how to capitalise on a lead and win big? See the game 19 days ago. Etc.

Today was a bad day. Let's see what happens next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This isn’t a developing side. Had we not given Melbourne (one of worst sides in decades) a seven goal start, Richmond a six goal start, held on for 40 more seconds against Port, and capitalised on five goal head start today, we’d be a game clear on top of the ladder.

I’ve defended this side too long. I’ve been a blind faith cheer leader for too long. They lost me today. This isn’t a developing side, it’s a mentally weak, poorly lead embarrassment.
Absolutely correct Carlton need to sh*t or get off the pot

Just got home from the game.
Great start, then.....
A lot of passengers out there today, which was very disappointing.
A game I thought we could have easily come back from.
Very flat.
Still love my Blueboys, but some of them should not be sleeping well tonight after that effort.

Pittonet got thrashed, and the Hawks were prepared to use this ruck dominance to grind down what we were doing well (+14 general stoppage clearances to us) and take their opportunities when they presented, with chains of possession driven by intelligent distribution of their football to their outside players, who didn't overcook their overlapping runs.

So they were smarter and more seasoned, but they were also a hell of a lot faster, stronger and more agile where it mattered, resulting in +50 uncontested possessions, +6 marks inside 50, and -13 turnovers in their favour. The Hawks have been doing this for a few years now as a system of play, and they didn't stop tonight.

On an individual, McKay, Moore, Setterfield, Cuningham, Walsh, SPS and Newnes were disappointing for huge chunks of the game, while Murphy, Cripps and Docherty were disappointing too regularly with the football, and Kennedy was disappointing too regularly without it.

I can forgive Docherty, Cripps and Murphy because I see it as a consequences for defensive effort and effort in making overlap play as we transition forward, but too much was left to too few on that front, and this was despite SPS, Betts, Gibbons and Martin making a serious effort to get up the ground when possible.

To be clear I don't feel anyone was clearly conditional with their efforts, just that whether it be their ability to read where to get to position, or physical capability of getting to position, it wasn't enough.

We can't keep picking such a slow 22 and not expect to get exposed in this way when we don't have a clear system for making use of our ability to win stoppages. The Hawks clearly think it's smarter to play off the opposition's want to win the football, and frankly with the way most sides play these days, I don't really blame them (at least on the aggregate).

The silver lining in this is that while the Hawks' system can get them to the finals, it probably doesn't win them finals, and it hasn't really done so to this point. Not sure there are any other silver linings to that performance: out-coached and outplayed.
You can forgive Murphy? 😂😂😂
He was the one who started the rot, and continued to drag us down with his appalling disposal and decision making.
He was junk, do t give him an out, it’s been a pattern for a couple of seasons now

Selection is going to be very interesting next week

Do they to go the easy route and drop
Cunners, Kennedy (and Moore)

Or do they make a statement......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would expect small changes I would replace Moore for mcgovern try to get Fischer in for one of Kennedy Or setterfield Murphy curnow gibbons Cunningham newnes and reshuffle SPS or Walsh maybe Cunningham ( I would make him run with Kelly) need to play cripps pockets or it needs to be an awareness thing that I have not seen in this side other than those two players and Jack matin -- cripps handballing at 65% with 25 possessions with those two make me happy -- cripps handballing with curnow setterfield and Kennedy makes me scared -- Murphy rested ..Betts wouldn't hold his spot in a good side over the last month of form -- if you want a tackling machine at forward get a younger bloke .. but with Long break Murphy and betts probably come out and have blinder ..Next game a likely smashing so must be careful you make a lot changes of personal get killed problem ..

what an absolute disgrace. Pathetic performance, mentally soft and weak. We will never win sh*t while MM and some of the others from the dark days are still around. They are mentally cooked. Murphy cost us big time today. The comeback started when 3 goals in a row went through him. No jokes go watch the second quarter again.

Teague, no good as a coach and you can bookmark this right now. Zero passion, he has psychopathic traits and dead eyes. The team are far too up and down. how can you be 31 points ahead then lose by 31? it's actually sackable!!!!

If murphy gets picked next week we are a ******* joke
Psychopathic traits? That's Starchamber territory.

In reality by the end of the year if like to see the following shifts at a minimum:

Murphy and Newnes out for LoB, Dow, Stocker or Fisher
Jones out for Marchbank or Macreadie
Simpson out for Cotter's or Polson (yes Polson)

Won't happen though

Obviously Moore for TDK or really anyone
Really disturbing to see jones kick to two hawthorn players and not a carlton player in my tv screen. He looked a little lost out on the ground today. What was he thinking? Mentally not at all in the moment. It was for me not looking like a skill error. Just a looking a little lost.

Oh come on, there were plenty much worse then newnes
half the team make out like useless giveupskis and they're potting a fringe winger..........

I said it last year, Bolton was gifting games while Teague played for wins at the detriment of player development. There is a happy medium there

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk
Took me a little while to realise I must admit. Thought The T Train had it right but the sea saw needs to swing back the other way a tad. Maybe more than a tad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back