Ready made oval stadiums overseas

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course if you wanted to take AFL to the world stage, play an exhibition game here:

Not sure of the stats:

watch out for nosebleed seats

MTS2_jester_bex_982989_pitch_resource.jpg

Quidditch Fields are 150m x 55m

long enough, but not wide enough

oh god, don't start this.

I don't get what everyone's big problem with soccer is in this country! No one is forcing you to care about it!

This bogan comes in with comments like
Whats the point of this thread?
Leave other peoples cultures alone.
Alf isnt even popular in the whole of Aus. so who in their right mind would like it overseas when they have better sports with lots of tradition?
and you think football fans have a problem with soccer?

Could we get this confirmed by another source? It's just Google Earth isn't exactly the most accurate measuring tool.

Google Earth uses a spatial engine with a proper coordinate system, so the measurement should be reasonably accurate. Might not be survey level, but so what ;)

New zealand, being new world and cricket fans, has one or two

WESTPAC Stadium Wellington Has already held a couple of pre season games but the interest was underwhelmingWestpac stadium holds about 30k.

images
images

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s-in-new-zealand/story-e6frf9jf-1226287510957

ST KILDA is set to play matches for premiership points in Wellington, New Zealand as early as next year.

The Saints have held talks with the AFL about playing games in the New Zealand capital, similar to Hawthorn's lucrative arrangement in Tasmania.

It is believed St Kilda is investigating playing on Anzac Day in New Zealand, against yet-to-be determined opposition, immediately after the Collingwood v Essendon MCG blockbuster.

It is unclear whether the Magpies and Bombers are aware of the plan to encroach on their hold on the April 25 fixture.

The St Kilda board has been examining the proposal for several months and is keen to pursue the opportunity.

The matches are likely to be played at Westpac Stadium, a multi-purpose stadium that is the home ground of A-League club Wellington Phoenix. The stadium holds 35,000 fans.
Might actually happen!

There was a guy from AFLNZ (or whatever) on SEN a while ago who hinted that discussions were underway and that Hawthorn had said they would be happy to play as the away team in NZ (because they can't be home due to contractual arrangements w/Tas).

Just wanted to point out this is a mostly hypothetical thread.

I realise running tracks need to be ripped up to lay an AFL field but thats a lot cheaper than realigning stands.

Running tracks are standard sizes so a good visual indicator of a field being big enough. better if there is some 'wing' beyond the straight - or movable tiers like ANZ stadium

Again, its hypothetical (except westpac in NZ of course)

If you are being hypothetical then you will have around 1,000 stadiums with athletics tracks around them and have either existing grandstand infrastructure or room for redevelopment in the other 33 OECD nations plus non members like Brazil, Russia, India, China, Argentina, Nigeria, South Africa, etc.

But those countries aren't going to rip up the track and go and find another piece of land in a congested city.

Look at countries who play cricket - India, South Africa, Bangladesh etc who have big grounds and have grass from fence to fence.

Too many cricket grounds in NZ are like those in Sydney, basically big enough to fit a rugby field that runs north south and if needed, turn it around and run it east west - in other words about 130m x 130m in length and width.

The most obvious one I know is Eden Gardens which is basically the same size as the MCG and holds 100,000,

You're all overlooking the most obvious one of all.

Eden Gardens, Calcutta.

MCG sized playing surface, with no pesky running track to get in the way.

MCG capacity stands.

100,000 feral pyromaniac supporters.

You could play footy there next week - all you'd need is the goal posts.

Eden Gardens4.JPG

Bingo!

Google Earth thinks otherwise, unfortunately. ~133m goal to goal.

kolkata.jpg

How accurate is that? I was always under the impression that it was about 150m long and 140m wide. Not AFL standard but good enough for a local league type game if it is 150x140.

The other thing about Eden Gardens is that there is a 10m gap - walkway between the 10 foot high fence and the first row of seats. You could fill that in with grass if you were confident you didn't need a 10 foot high fence to stop the Indian fans running on to the field.

Of course it's all hypothetical.

But, seeing as we're about to build a brand new one in WA I like looking at the pictures of various stadiums around the world and imagining it gracing the Burswood gold course. Some of them look great, some of them (like the NZ one above) are as ugly as sin.

grenada-national-stadium.jpg

Grenada National Cricket Stadium

20,000 capacity has hosted test matches.

Could be a bit short for Australian Football.

Built by the Chinese who are building stadiums (usually free) all over the developing world.

Have the AFL actually discussed staging matches overseas? I know there was some talk of having a 2nd ANZAC match in NZ a while back.

The NFL have managed it with some success. But their game is probably a lot better known than Aussie Rules.

It'd be interesting if it did happen though. Especially in America or Europe.

Have the AFL actually discussed staging matches overseas? I know there was some talk of having a 2nd ANZAC match in NZ a while back.

The NFL have managed it with some success. But their game is probably a lot better known than Aussie Rules.

It'd be interesting if it did happen though. Especially in America or Europe.
As far as we know it's happening next year in Wellington.

Us vs Brisbane or Sydney iirc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The new National Stadium in Singapore would be great to play at if we could get a game in after it was played in Cricket Mode (pitch restraints excluded). As I said its not finished so dont have a go at that Colonial Stadium looking grass there. But with ~50,000 seats would be a fantastic venue.

More info: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=572778&page=16

10334392_875165369179794_6042644546084207369_n.jpg

IMG_3402_zps84f3c0f0.jpg

I can't see the MCC ever allowing a football match at Lords, but then again they're allowing archery to be played there at the Olympics...

There was a lot of discussion r.e. the surface there though. I think it was either completely covered to protect it, or it was redone at the expense of the Olympic fund. I imagine for an AFL game to be played there we'd be talking a logistical nightmare for the surface alone.

Also it's a tiny "oval"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back