Recollections of footy’s greatest day.....Round 22 1987

Remove this Banner Ad

Paganism mark II

Etihad Stadium, Locker room end
May 15, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The best round of football in our history. Every spot in the 5 could change, the winner of 6 v 7 could jump in if number 5 lost.
Even the Friday night game was between 2nd last and last to decide the wooden spoon.

Love hearing people’s tales of that day.
I was at Waverley, Jason Love put us in front late only for Kernhan to kick a goal after the siren to hand Carlton top spot. Can’t help but feel the flag was won that day.....a week off and straight into a 2nd semi final, another week off and then a jaded Hawthorn on a very hot grand final day.
Which game were you at and what are your memories of that day?

I was at the western oval with a Melbourne supporter. If u remember Melbourne hadn't made the finals for 23 years and it was Robbie Flowers last chance to play in a final series. All 4 matches that impacted the finals saw the teams that were behind at half time winning. Once Melbourne had the game won against the Dogs everyone was listening to their radios when Dunstall kicked the goal that won the game for the Hawks against Geelong and put the Demons in the finals.
A game decided after the siren (Kernahan getting Carlton top spot against Nth), a game decided by a late goal (Dunstall) and a team making their first final in 23 years. I agree definitely the greatest round of footy in my time.

I was at the western oval with a Melbourne supporter. If u remember Melbourne hadn't made the finals for 23 years and it was Robbie Flowers last chance to play in a final series. All 4 matches that impacted the finals saw the teams that were behind at half time winning. Once Melbourne had the game won against the Dogs everyone was listening to their radios when Dunstall kicked the goal that won the game for the Hawks against Geelong and put the Demons in the finals.
A game decided after the siren (Kernahan getting Carlton top spot against Nth), a game decided by a late goal (Dunstall) and a team making their first final in 23 years. I agree definitely the greatest round of footy in my time.
When Dunstall kicked it there was a huge roar from the dees fans listening on their radios.
Even the only game with nothing riding on it was a thriller, Collingwood v Essendon and it was under a goal.
It’s astonishing looking at the scores, just about all games were at least 250+ combined

Remember it well.

I was one of the lucky 12,079 who flocked to the MCG for the Tigers-Bears Friday night blockbuster. The winner would avoid the spoon in Brisbane's first year in the VFL.

Brisbane, in fine form coming off an unlucky 82 point loss (at home) to Footscray, scraped in by 56 points and the spoon was ours by a game and percentage. A feat we would repeat in 1989.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember it well.

I was one of the lucky 12,079 who flocked to the MCG for the Tigers-Bears Friday night blockbuster. The winner would avoid the spoon in Brisbane's first year in the VFL.

Brisbane, in fine form coming off an unlucky 82 point loss (at home) to Footscray, scraped in by 56 points and the spoon was ours by a game and percentage. A feat we would repeat in 1989.
Luckily we got pick 1 which netted us man mountain Richard Lounder! Funny the bears drafted Chris McDermott and Andrew Jarman with their first 2 picks who never played a game with them. And who said mummies boys were only a gen y thing?

Luckily we got pick 1 which netted us man mountain Richard Lounder! Funny the bears drafted Chris McDermott and Andrew Jarman with their first 2 picks who never played a game with them. And who said mummies boys were only a gen y thing?
Richmond cop a lot for their draft misses.
All teams have some dreadful misses though

Richmond cop a lot for their draft misses.
All teams have some dreadful misses though
Deservedly so in this case. Played 4 games from memory and then took off. He kicked 5 goals in his first match, looked like he could have been anything. Absolutely massive unit.

I sat in the southern stand at the Collingwood Essendon game, which was a ripper even though it counted for little.
The tv coverage of the Melbourne game was huge.

Still not as big as Round 22 1981.

You had handstands being delivered - yes it was that day that Mark Jackson decided to show off some epic skills, in the match between Hawthorn and Melbourne at Princes Park.

There was a gripping encounter at VFL Park between Geelong and Essendon. One that would determine the double chance. An Essendon victory could have seen them finish as high as first!

Collingwood would host Fitzroy at Victoria Park where either Collingwood could finish 1st, 2nd or 3rd and should the Roys win, they would finish 5th.

Richmond hosted Carlton at the MCG, where Richmond could finish 5th and where Carlton needed to win to finish top with Collingwood nipping at their heels.

Then the rain came.

At the MCG, Carlton would end Richmond's chances with a low scoring win - 9.13.67 to 5.10.40.
Geelong's win over Essendon at VFL Park would see the 2 teams swap on percentage. 7.13.55 to 6.11.47.
Collingwood got denied top spot after losing to Fitzroy and seeing Carlton win. 8.11.59 to 4.9.33.
And Hawthorn couldn't capitalise on its win over Melbourne. 15.20.110 to 8.9.57.

Deservedly so in this case. Played 4 games from memory and then took off. He kicked 5 goals in his first match, looked like he could have been anything. Absolutely massive unit.
I think drafting back then was a pretty amateur affair hence guns being picked very late and potatoes very early.

My dad and uncles tell me of the Melbourne v Bulldogs game very often. They were standing in the pocket, lingering around some rando with a portable radio. As soon as Hawthorn hit the front they all started cheering. You can hear it on the replay on YouTube. My dad says it was the best game ever. Up to that point, Melbourne hadn't played in finals in the time he had been supporting them (since 68).

Still not as big as Round 22 1981.

You had handstands being delivered - yes it was that day that Mark Jackson decided to show off some epic skills, in the match between Hawthorn and Melbourne at Princes Park.

There was a gripping encounter at VFL Park between Geelong and Essendon. One that would determine the double chance. An Essendon victory could have seen them finish as high as first!

Collingwood would host Fitzroy at Victoria Park where either Collingwood could finish 1st, 2nd or 3rd and should the Roys win, they would finish 5th.

Richmond hosted Carlton at the MCG, where Richmond could finish 5th and where Carlton needed to win to finish top with Collingwood nipping at their heels.

Then the rain came.

At the MCG, Carlton would end Richmond's chances with a low scoring win - 9.13.67 to 5.10.40.
Geelong's win over Essendon at VFL Park would see the 2 teams swap on percentage. 7.13.55 to 6.11.47.
Collingwood got denied top spot after losing to Fitzroy and seeing Carlton win. 8.11.59 to 4.9.33.
And Hawthorn couldn't capitalise on its win over Melbourne. 15.20.110 to 8.9.57.
The Cats game was the first I ever attended as a 7 yr old. Cried all the way home and the old man couldn’t take me to another game for years. Not sure if it’s because I pissed him off with all the sooking or if it broke him too.

Losing Neale Daniher the week before probably ruined our season anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back