Toast Regional Roos Thread - Down on the farm Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

I used to work along there. Hasn't changed much.

That was taken when I drove through this afternoon. It really has not changed much in 40 years.

I lived not far down the road in the early 80s. One Saturday we organised a BBQ at Darling Park. One mate lobbed into Julius Redlich butchers and bought a few steaks. Cost him half a week's wages.

That was taken when I drove through this afternoon. It really has not changed much in 40 years.

I lived not far down the road in the early 80s. One Saturday we organised a BBQ at Darling Park. One mate lobbed into Julius Redlich butchers and bought a few steaks. Cost him half a week's wages.
I worked in a nightclub on the other side of the road to where you are. It had its moments.

Had a rental in Murphy st.for a while. Called it the " kool-aid " house. 😉

Righto down on the land lasses & lads. City boy needs some advice.

Got a 3000L water tank that gets the runoff from the roof and connects and does the toilets x 3. Regularly clean the roof gutters 👍 But the flushing water seems to be a bit " grungier " lately. Tank has some " plugs " down the bottom. Do you have to " empty " out the tank occasionally because all that dirty water sitting at the bottom ?

Got a 3000L water tank that gets the runoff from the roof and connects and does the toilets x 3. Regularly clean the roof gutters 👍 But the flushing water seems to be a bit " grungier " lately. Tank has some " plugs " down the bottom. Do you have to " empty " out the tank occasionally because all that dirty water sitting at the bottom ?
i suspect you dont "have " to as i dont, if the sediments ever got thick enough to reach the outlet and that is started blocking filters i would likely have to re address the scenario. however this is just based on our historic practices rather than any real sound scinetific outlook.

Grungy water means never having to use the dunny brush.

What koshari said. Also may be there are leaves in the tank. Sometimes they give the water a yellow tinge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

* " can't " get in ( edit )
And yet they do.

As far as leaves getting into a tank goes, nothing is impossible.

At our school we had the footy grounds a fair way from the main buildings. The pavilion had a big tin roof and a couple of tin water tanks that we used to drink from using the tap. Very necessary after a match or after school sports etc.

I can recall kids saying how the water had a bad taste one day. As each kid had a big drink they would carry on about the water not being too good.

We climbed up and took a look inside. The taste was due to the dead possum that somehow fell in and was decomposing I strongly suspect.

Circle of life Hojuman

Last edited:
* " can't " get in ( edit )
Unless you clean your gutters obsessively - like once every month or more - then little bits of plant matter will break off and get thru your filters.

Even if you do it probably still happens.

If you're using it to flush your dunny it doesn't need to be pristine. Tho its probably drinkable anyway.

View attachment 1625075

Cleaned out the top where the rain goes in Ferb's. Leaves can get in as it has like a 3 tier wire filter.

It might stop leaves, it wont stop fine dirt that runs off the roof, over time it builds up sludge and if it builds up a lot and gets close to the outlet it can mix with the water coming out. if you have a pump you can suck that s**t out, some places charge up to $500 to do it. I think you are meant to clean the tank out regularly, with my one it is "when the s**t hits the fan literally" then I deal with it.

M8 h8 2 tell u this but it’s probably build up of algae type bacteria around ur flushing mechanisms that you’ll have to change with new ones and in future keep a cleaning agent in ur cistern 👍

koshari, danj, Ferball, Tas, SonofS - cheers !
Will get it checked 👍
Genuine point, it might be an idea to look at a "first flush diverter" which will flow any muck from your gutters to the drain before redirecting clear water to the tank.

Another option is to syphon or pump the sludgy water and muck from the bottom of the tank - that isn't too difficult but you might have to buy a syphon hose to do it or get somebody in.

The screening on top of the tank will stop possums, magpies and large leaves but moss and dirt from the gutters will get into the tank still.

I have a couple of family property damns full of yabbies across your way. Give me a shout when you are ready to stock and I'll drop them off.
might be ready now to take some yabbies from your kin, happy to pick up, can drop a few home brews off as an appreciation if you like.

Any chance you can do a bit of work on the Old Drouin Rd? Omg I reckon I saw some folk from the WRC checking it out. I reckon it was made right about when old Noah was collecting a couple of roos. Potholes the size of Tassie, the camber of the road guides you off the road into tress, when it rains it becomes the Old Drouin river and it's actually quite narrow. I even gave it a swerve coming home last night, and I have been known to zing through there pretending to be Petter Solberg!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back