Oppo Camp Regular Non Eagles Discussion V2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dylan82

Fully agree with your comments about the way Melbourne play superseding the kick-mark style employed by us and Geelong and that by extension we need to overhaul our game plan if we are to compete in 2022 and beyond.

I think, however, that the transition of the game away from what worked for the likes of us, Richmond, Geelong and Collingwood to a faster ball movement game was accelerated this year by the stand rule that nobody saw coming. In that respect I think Melbourne got lucky by a rule change benefiting a game plan they’ve been working on for the last 2-3 years

With that in mind we need to work on a game plan to counter what they’re doing rather than copy theirs because if we try replication we’ll forever be years behind them. In much the same way teams struggled to beat us at the kick mark game plan only because we were more practiced and better at it

That’s the challenge for Simpson and perhaps the reasoning behind why we seem to be overhauling our coaching ranks underneath him

Last edited:
That was so awesome, thanks for turning out in big numbers Eagles and in red and blue :hearts:
It was definitely a pro-Melbourne crowd and I was genuinely surprised at how loud it was at times

Your team were awesome tonight so good luck in the GF. Enjoy it

Dylan82

Fully agree with your comments about the way Melbourne play superseding the kick-mark style employed by us and Geelong and that by extension we need to overhaul our game plan if we are to compete in 2022 and beyond.

I think, however, that the transition of the game away from what worked for the likes of us, Richmond, Geelong and Collingwood to a faster ball movement was accelerated this year by the stand rule that nobody saw coming. In that respect I think Melbourne got lucky by a rule change benefiting a game plan they’ve been working on for the last 2-3 years

With that in mind we need to work on a game plan to counter what they’re doing rather than copy theirs because if we try replication we’ll forever be years behind them. In much the same way teams struggled to beat us at the kick mark game season only because we were more practiced and better at it

That’s the challenge for Simpson and perhaps the reasoning behind why we seem to be overhauling our coaching ranks underneath him
I think a key factor to Melbourne’s success is their fitness. They’ve always had this style of gameplan, sending mass numbers to every stoppage and contest But I think the improved fitness and some favourable rule changes, like you said, has pushed them to the next level.

They were this dangerous back in 2018, now though. They’re just now able to get more numbers to every contest plus the game has transitioned a bit more into having to be able to beat your direct opponent which has sent team defences into the dirt.

Watching Petracca and Oliver play is eye opening. Oliver especially. Hes built like a stick but I don’t think I’ve ever seen him lose his feet and they’re able to sidestep and change direction quickly. Something which our midfield desperately lacks, unpredictability and creativity.

We need to hit the gym and track hard this off-season. Our elite kicking can still be there as a point of difference but it can no longer be our one wood. We need to start finding ways of winning the ball in the contest (outside of a NN spoodfed tap).

They really have hit the perfect storm for a GF tilt this season, fair play to them.

Superstar A graders like Gawn, Oliver and Petracca leading the way. Livewires like Pickett energising them time and time again. Underrated role players like Petty and Neal-Bullen so reliable. Youngsters coming in capable, or more than, like Jackson, Rivers and Bowey.

That’s even before you consider the dominance of May and Lever down back.

Easily the best side going around for me and will be crowned deserved premiers soon enough. :)

Last edited:
They really have hit the perfect storm for a GF tilt this season, fair play to them.

Superstar A graders like Gawn, Oliver and Petracca leading the way. Livewires like Pickett energising them time and time again. Underrated role players like Petty and Neal-Bullen so reliable. Youngsters coming in capable, or more than, like Jackson, Rivers and Bowey.

Easily the best side going around for me and will be crowned deserved premiers next weekend.

Going a bit early there my friend . ;)

I don't think they'll be the first team to get smashed by Melbourne.

200.gif

Will have to ask swamp what Melbourne's prelim finals % is at optus. Or just in general, same either way.

Meh, I'm on the Melbourne bandwagon. Been to enough Melbourne home games over the years, including Jack Watts' debut (what a s**t-show, bloke never stood a chance), with one of my best mates who's a lifetime Melbourne member, to suffer through their s**t. hope they break the drought and win.

Schofield vs Oliver tribunal and the close rivalry over the year notwithstanding.

Good on Melbourne. Play a great brand of footy.
On the other note looking at Geelong last night can see similarity with them and us.
Old predictable and slow to move the ball.

The difference between hunger side and one with no hunger and just going through the motions.

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk

That’s even before you consider the dominance of May and Lever down back.

Easily the best side going around for me and will be crowned deserved premiers soon enough. :)
They remind me a bit of us in 2018. Quite a number of players (top liners and emerging) having career best years together.

I agree with you they are clearly GF favourites.

What will be interesting, and is a scary prospect tbh, is whether their top line cam maintain the level next year, and the next lot can continue their improvement. If they do continue, from an age perspective their list has the look of a number of years near the top.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

fu** Melbourne.

The definition of a club that should have been put in the VFL bin decades ago.

How much tanking for first round picks over the last 20 years?
How much AFL "financial assistance" over the last 20 years?
AFL appointed coaching and board to stop them from being an embarrassment to the league

fu** them. Hope Port/Dogs keep the drought going.
To answer your queries:

- Once, in 2009. One of many clubs to do so in that era, only club to be penalised. Regardless, the karma bus hit and we got absolutely nothing from that draft.
- We were one of the only unassisted clubs in the league last year. We have a very strong asset base / balance sheet due to some off-field acquisitions in the Stynes era.
- Yes the AFL coerced Peter Jackson to take on the CEO role in 2012, we owe a lot to him for fixing the culture of the club.

Must be a stressful life harbouring that much hatred.

Anyway, thanks to any Eagles fans who got to the game and jumped on the bandwagon last night, hopefully you can get back there in a couple of weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port v Dee Grannie could be epic I reckon.

If the Bullies make it somehow it will be a turkey shoot.

Disagree, I think a Dees Dogs gf would be more of a contest given they're 1-1 each this season. Dogs have still been the second best almost all season. Plus the two week break would allow them to rest, for Bont to recover and Weightman presumably to return. Don't write off the Doggies.

I think a key factor to Melbourne’s success is their fitness. They’ve always had this style of gameplan, sending mass numbers to every stoppage and contest But I think the improved fitness and some favourable rule changes, like you said, has pushed them to the next level.

They were this dangerous back in 2018, now though. They’re just now able to get more numbers to every contest plus the game has transitioned a bit more into having to be able to beat your direct opponent which has sent team defences into the dirt.

Watching Petracca and Oliver play is eye opening. Oliver especially. Hes built like a stick but I don’t think I’ve ever seen him lose his feet and they’re able to sidestep and change direction quickly. Something which our midfield desperately lacks, unpredictability and creativity.

We need to hit the gym and track hard this off-season. Our elite kicking can still be there as a point of difference but it can no longer be our one wood. We need to start finding ways of winning the ball in the contest (outside of a NN spoodfed tap).
Agreed. In previous years Petracca would come out firing every single match but completely fizzle out in second halves to become invisible. Nowadays he is running out games and that confidence that he can do so is lifting the whole side.

Didn’t they get Darren Burgess recently?

I went along hoping for a close one, but turns out a one-sided Gawnfest can still be a lot of fun too.
Who knew that the joy of highlights from a neutral team could be come anywhere near the schadenfreude of Geelong getting obliterated.
Garry Lyon being happy is the only downside, but pales into insignificance behind Neale Daniher being happy. Love ya, Neale!

I'm going to need the GF to be a contest though.

I went along hoping for a close one, but turns out a one-sided Gawnfest can still be a lot of fun too.
Who knew that the joy of highlights from a neutral team could be come anywhere near the schadenfreude of Geelong getting obliterated.
Garry Lyon being happy is the only downside, but pales into insignificance behind Neale Daniher being happy. Love ya, Neale!

I'm going to need the GF to be a contest though.
Remembered Daniher this morning. Would be good for him to see the Dees win a flag before his times up. Have no issue with them winning it.

Our time passed years ago.

We are not in same postcode as Melb, Port and a few others.

The end comes suddenly, WCE and Richmond. For Geelong, the end came 7 years ago, but they are still in denial. Maybe last night changes that mindset.

Our time passed years ago.

We are not in same postcode as Melb, Port and a few others.

The end comes suddenly, WCE and Richmond. For Geelong, the end came 7 years ago, but they are still in denial. Maybe last night changes that mindset.
Richmond still have another year or two of contending left unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back