Autopsy Review Saints vs Eagles Acres god mode Billings ice man

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to say Ross was lucky at the death. Turned it over with about 1 min to go but thankfully we got it back. Second time in a fortnight for him, needs to tidy up his decision making late in the game.

What?

Decision was correct, Steven was over the back in space, the issue wasn't the decision being made, it was simply that the kick was a bit shallow and got intercepted.

Did I see Hurn in the team of the week on a back flank? He was just average IMO

Didn't Hurn play on Acres ? I know Acres had 30 disposals some of which must have been when he went forward . I didn't think Hurn was that great , I thought Robbo played a much better defenders game.

What?

Decision was correct, Steven was over the back in space, the issue wasn't the decision being made, it was simply that the kick was a bit shallow and got intercepted.
Had a much less risky option in close, should've slowed it down I think. But agree to disagree.

This is the game where Gwilt did his knee. So we weren't going to win a flag with post-knee Gwilt who had no speed left. Pre-knee Gwilt was a different story altogether.

There's been enough commentary on Clarke and probably Peake. I didn't mind Polo, but he was a GOP at best.

Gamble may have been the worst recruit of the entire Lyon era, as he got games in 2011 instead of Tom Lynch, who duly left due to lack of opportunity at the end of that year. We've only just managed to get a medium marking mobile in forward now in Tim Membrey.

Actually just thinking back , he wasn't a bad player . It's just we had to keep putting him at full back where he was terribly undersized. But that's not his fault. They did the same at The drug cheats . Poor guy , always punching above his weight.

Great seeing Jake the Snake in the Milney top these days, maybe it's Noble Park fashion. Think he might be the only player on our list who rocks the sleeves now, I wonder why? Got an embarrassing I LOVE ESSENDON tattoo on his bicep? Love our Noble Park recruits!

I'm not sure calling Acres a space cadet, airhead etc is really necessary. He's a kid. His concentration will improve as he matures. He may look overly relaxed and lackadaisical at times....but so did Nicky Dal.

I dare say many footy players are not rocket scientists....just like most of the rest of the population.

I have met him and he's more laid back and maybe a bit vague. He seems a lovely young guy and didn't mean to insult him. Joffa was pointing out at training they cracked it with him for zoning out a bit so it was a bit of a lighthearted comment. He certainly doesn't seem stupid or anything, he has more a laid back surfer stoner vibe. It's the slow Perth pace rubbed off on him ;)

Great seeing Jake the Snake in the Milney top these days, maybe it's Noble Park fashion. Think he might be the only player on our list who rocks the sleeves now, I wonder why? Got an embarrassing I LOVE ESSENDON tattoo on his bicep? Love our Noble Park recruits!

A few had it in the Port game, I think Mav fired up the old number 44 long sleeve top even.

Craigieburn and noble park are a long way apart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't notice that myself but I agree that this has been missing from his game. Will go to a new level if he starts doing that. Ala Seb Ross the last 35 games.

Think you'll find Jakey is a Craigieburn boy. Played at the Cannons.
But yes I'm loving the long sleeve tops. Seem to be a bit more common the last two yrs in the AFL. I love em.
Even Cheyse Blair at Melb Storm is rocking the long sleeves now days.
images (8).jpg

Last edited:
Have to say Ross was lucky at the death. Turned it over with about 1 min to go but thankfully we got it back. Second time in a fortnight for him, needs to tidy up his decision making late in the game.
I hope this isn't a pattern but Seb also turned it over leading to the Eagles' last goal. He kicked it to an outsized and out positioned Billings and Gresham.

I'm really glad Billings actually took the shot in the end. I half expected him to swing around and pass the ball sideways to re start the shot clock and completely ice the game. Imagine the melts we would have had even though that would have been a smart move.

In the end there wasn't enough time left but a point would have given Shannon Hurn a chance to replicate that set play kick in that we absolutely mangled where Kennedy left virtually unattended when all there players led to one side.

I'm really glad Billings actually took the shot in the end. I half expected him to swing around and pass the ball sideways to re start the shot clock and completely ice the game. Imagine the melts we would have had even though that would have been a smart move.

In the end there wasn't enough time left but a point would have given Shannon Hurn a chance to replicate that set play kick in that we absolutely mangled where Kennedy left virtually unattended when all there players led to one side.

In reality he should have run that clock down and then given it off. Surely that's what they are trained to do.

Having said that I'm glad he just nailed the goal but if he'd missed then we had given the Eagles a chance to win. Gotta play the odds in that situation surely.

Ever notice Blake's a loose unit in front of the camera? Certainly speaks his mind, not the typical canned footy cliches.

I was just about to say the same thing . I wasn't expecting him to be so forceful .

In reality he should have run that clock down and then given it off. Surely that's what they are trained to do.

Having said that I'm glad he just nailed the goal but if he'd missed then we had given the Eagles a chance to win. Gotta play the odds in that situation surely.
Think it is being unduly harsh.

Kid took the responsibility. Thats what we want from our young players especially a potential match winner in Billings.
Hasnt kicked well all year, confidence down, last weeks disaster hanging over his head.
Had kick 1.3 including one running into an open goal. Bruce had missed the opportunity to ice the game just a minute before.

He knew the time, kept looking at the shot clock, waited until 5 seconds and then had the shot that was never going to miss.
The confidence of nailing the clutch goal is enormous.

Kid took the responsibility. Thats what we want from our young players especially a potential match winner in Billings.
Hasnt kicked well all year, confidence down, last weeks disaster hanging over his head.
Had kick 1.3 including one running into an open goal. Bruce had missed the opportunity to ice the game just a minute before.

He knew the time, kept looking at the shot clock, waited until 5 seconds and then had the shot that was never going to miss.

I agree that he will gain confidence from that shot and I'm nor knocking him at all really.
I wonder what they train for in that situation. Giving the ball back to them, 2 points up and 30s left or just ice the game by passing off.
Doesn't matter at all in the end 'cos he nailed it.

+1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back