Richard Douglas To Retire

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't agree on Otten.
Probably shouldn't have played AFL this year but from all reports he has been crucial to the development of our young SANFL backs.
I wouldn't be upset if he had the Matty Wright role next year.

Well then give him a development role.

He should not have been on the playing list this year and selecting him for that Carlton game was laughable.

Good clubman and at his best was very very good.

Surprised he retired to be honest, I would have thought he'd be an asset to a club like Gold Coast. Might not have played a heap but would have been a good one to set the standard of professionalism for them.

We’re in just as much need of a ruthless, win at all costs senior player, ie Hodge, as Suns are for Dougie. Culture wise, we’ve got nothing to offer other clubs if they need an injection of the right kind of culture.

I always liked Dougie, for all his faults (and I don't think they were as many as some others do). My favourite Dougy moments:

1. 2006 QF v Freo when we came from behind to win. At 3Q Time and we were closing in, Dougy (then in his first year on the list) leapt off the bench (I think he had a bloody nose) before anyone else to run out and gee up his teammates.

2. SPP bouncing off him in a Showdown :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing he mentions is taking the piss out of the new recruits and younger players with his dry sense of humour.

I remember laughing when he only followed Rat back on twitter when Rat got his first senior game.

Cheers Dougy, not your fault you played 1 year too long, most would do the same.
I am like most are expecting Dmac to get a 1 year deal...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back