Club Focus Richmond 2023

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

A grade yet still hasn't won a B&F or made an AA team. Rightio.

What's in the water down at Punt Road.
Dam you got me, I forgot that only A graders win BnF's as every club has only one A grader and have to make AA :(

Look at your own clubs long list of past A graders that never won a BnF due to losing to better players. You also realise that several A graders miss the AA team as it has limited spots right?

Do you even Football champo?

Dam you got me, I forgot that only A graders win BnF's as every club has only one A grader and have to make AA :(

Look at your own clubs long list of past A graders that never won a BnF due to losing to better players. You also realise that several A graders miss the AA team as it has limited spots right?

Do you even Football champo?
Maybe you need to refine your definitions a little.

Also, champo. First sign you're done for.

Should be an interesting summer. Not having a first rounder isn't ideal, but Hopper cops a lot of flak given he's going to be around for another 6+ years and sides don't develop kids well without big bodies to be able to take the hits.

Down back we look sorted for the long term. Tylar Young and Balta with Gibcus being able to play there sorts us for the talls. Short, Rioli, Baker being able to rebound with blokes like Banks and Tresize means the mid-long term is sorted.

Midfield is a bit one paced this year and the mix has been wrong in games we've been beaten in. Still Hopper, Taranto, Bolton and Ross is a good core to build around. Clarke could be one here that looks like he can play at the level. Not sure what has gone wrong with Sonsie but I'm not hugely hopeful the way he has performed in the VFL.

The forwards are a real worry long term. M Rioli hasn't come on but is still young, Ryan looks more ruck/forward than forward/ruck and then the cupboard is pretty bare. We're desperately hoping one of Bradtke or Bauer can turn into an AFL quality forward but this is turning into a real need that must be addressed in the draft or through free agency/trade. Coulthard, it's early days but looks like he can play and Cumberland could be a player but plays as many poor games as he does good.

Re trade bait, I think the most obvious ones for Richmond that may have value are Graham and Soldo. While there may be interest in guys like Short, I'm probably of the opinion he's worth more to Richmond than a team is willing to pay to get him.

If Collingwood offers up their first rounder for Lynch would Richmond consider it? Or a top 20 pick for Vlastuin?

That would be Richmond putting a line through the next 2 years in the hopes they can develop the guys 26 and under to go again in 3-4 years time.

Those are the two older players that could still have value. Everyone younger is either too good to be worth trading or going to be worth pick 40+ (Soldo, Graham, etc).

If Collingwood offers up their first rounder for Lynch would Richmond consider it? Or a top 20 pick for Vlastuin?

That would be Richmond putting a line through the next 2 years in the hopes they can develop the guys 26 and under to go again in 3-4 years time.

Those are the two older players that could still have value. Everyone younger is either too good to be worth trading or going to be worth pick 40+ (Soldo, Graham, etc).

We cant afford to lose Lynch, there is literally no forwards of any kind of quality on our list.

Vlas would need to be overs IMO although his position is one we have some kids that could fill it, at a lesser level for now.

The reality is our list profile isnt great to be able to do much with besides bac it in for now.

We cant afford to lose Lynch, there is literally no forwards of any kind of quality on our list.

Vlas would need to be overs IMO although his position is one we have some kids that could fill it, at a lesser level for now.

The reality is our list profile isnt great to be able to do much with besides bac it in for now.

Lynch will be 31 next season coming off a major foot injury. There's no guarantee he ever gets back to his best. And if everything goes right he's likely got 3 more seasons.

There's no doubt trading Lynch would make you worse for the next few years. But can you compete for the flag in the next 3 years? I personally don't see it so think you're better off building around players 27 and younger.

Even with a terrible group of key forwards your midfield should mean you're not a complete rabble. So why not use the next 2 years to see what you've got in terms of youngsters and build some younger talent then target a key forward as a free agent to really push back into contention in 3-4 years?

7 year contracts will do that. I think the cats landed on their feet on that one.

With information available at the time it's hard to say it was a mistake to bring him in. 7 year contracts are a mistake though.
People always talk about the 7 years yes it's a long time but when you take longer term contracts it's usually at less money. the people are Richmond's football department isn't stupid.

People always talk about the 7 years yes it's a long time but when you take longer term contracts it's usually at less money. the people are Richmond's football department isn't stupid.

The people in hawthorns football department who sold the farm for O’Meara and Wingard weren’t stupid either … until …

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately for Richmond, this isn't exactly a very deep draft either.

Can't really afford to trade someone like Vlaustin (who would likely get you a top 20 ish pick) given all your outs/retirements.

Jack Ross happily does look like he will be a player, and I think Bauer will make it..

Getting Gibcus healthy again next year will help a lot too.

Sonsie is an interesting one, was a slider in his draft class, but mainly because he had some attitude issues, which may explain why he dropped off this season (haven't seen much of your VFL games tbh)

Definitely doesn't seem to be any quick fixes in the short term for Richmond, I definitely would strongly advice against trading any future 1st round picks for a few years.

You arr paying the price for the AFL's equalisation cycle, it's really hard to be pretty critical of your footy dept when they delieved you 3 precious premierships in 5 years.

Richmond should take heed and heart from Hawthorn's rebuild under Mitchell.

I'd be willing to trade Lynch, Vlastuin and Martin under the right circumstances.

Lynch to melbourne for freos pick and we pay pretty much 100% of the salary. High price but it would make melbourne premiership favourites for the next two years and addresses their biggest weakness

Vlastuin to geelong or bulldogs for a first round pick, particualrly the dogs they need an intercept defender and to bolster their defense whilst they are in a premiership window, and given they got lucky with JUH and Darcy they have young talent so wouldn't be too hesitant to part with a 1st round pick.

Martin to gold coast, for their first round pick and richmond send back 2nds and 3rds. Gold coast get martin for free given their academy guys as often parting with a 1st round pick comes at the expense of young talent but gold coast get martin and Walter, Rogers,Read. Martin is still playing at an AA level, knows dimma etc

But these are pretty pointless discussions as I doubt the players want to leave and I doubt Richmond wants to push them out.

I think we are in an interesting spot I reckon the clubs backs themselves to emulate collingwood after their down year, but honestly think we are set for a couple downs years or at the very best midpack, and midpack is probably worse than a couple down years before bouncing.

I'd be willing to trade Lynch, Vlastuin and Martin under the right circumstances.

Lynch to melbourne for freos pick and we pay pretty much 100% of the salary. High price but it would make melbourne premiership favourites for the next two years and addresses their biggest weakness

Vlastuin to geelong or bulldogs for a first round pick, particualrly the dogs they need an intercept defender and to bolster their defense whilst they are in a premiership window, and given they got lucky with JUH and Darcy they have young talent so wouldn't be too hesitant to part with a 1st round pick.

Martin to gold coast, for their first round pick and richmond send back 2nds and 3rds. Gold coast get martin for free given their academy guys as often parting with a 1st round pick comes at the expense of young talent but gold coast get martin and Walter, Rogers,Read. Martin is still playing at an AA level, knows dimma etc

But these are pretty pointless discussions as I doubt the players want to leave and I doubt Richmond wants to push them out.

I think we are in an interesting spot I reckon the clubs backs themselves to emulate collingwood after their down year, but honestly think we are set for a couple downs years or at the very best midpack, and midpack is probably worse than a couple down years before bouncing.
Lynch to Melbourne is not a bad idea at all, actually.....but I doubt you'd get Freo's first. Their own first around 15-16 might be more reasonable.

Similarly Pick 4 is way overs for Dusty. Best you'd get is one of their mid 20s picks IMHO.

I could definitely see Vlastuin being a potential player we look at but just not sure he'd want to come and given his age how much we'd be willing to give up seeing as we still have a number of gaps to plug

Unfortunately for Richmond, this isn't exactly a very deep draft either.

Can't really afford to trade someone like Vlaustin (who would likely get you a top 20 ish pick) given all your outs/retirements.

Jack Ross happily does look like he will be a player, and I think Bauer will make it..

Getting Gibcus healthy again next year will help a lot too.

Sonsie is an interesting one, was a slider in his draft class, but mainly because he had some attitude issues, which may explain why he dropped off this season (haven't seen much of your VFL games tbh)

Definitely doesn't seem to be any quick fixes in the short term for Richmond, I definitely would strongly advice against trading any future 1st round picks for a few years.

You arr paying the price for the AFL's equalisation cycle, it's really hard to be pretty critical of your footy dept when they delieved you 3 precious premierships in 5 years.

Richmond should take heed and heart from Hawthorn's rebuild under Mitchell.
I agree with all of this, just on Sonsie, he's had a great end to the year after an interrupted start and he is posting big numbers, however he's lacking any type of hard edge or defensive intent. Hoping he can turn it around as like you said, no quick fixes, but some kids like Gibcus and Sonsie would help alot if they can step up.

Another interesting one is Brown, one of the best kicks at the club, great size and finally getting a run at it. Likely debut in the last game of the season IMO

Lynch is probably the biggest trade asset for a club in their flag window.
A team like Collingwood, Melbourne could arguably trade their way into a flag over the next 1-3 years given the role Lynch could play in their forward lines. I don't think the age is a concern given the purpose of the trade is entirely a win-now scenario, and he gives that until 2026 I reckon for the role he'd be playing. The obvious risk with him is can he stay on the park enough during the season and finals.

The other one is Dusty if there was a reduced salary component, with Gold Coast being the obvious ones there. They simply need to make finals, and GC could absolutely use the interest and bums on seats factor he would help create. Again, he's a player that can help make a tangible difference to get you to and possibly win a final which is crucial for the Suns over the next couple of years.

Vlastuin, Short, Soldo are others in the age range and ability that might get you reasonable returns for their position.

The issue with all/any of the above, is you're basically putting to the playing list and new coach that in 2024-2025 at least you're conceding a bottom 4 finish and that a period of rebuilding is incoming. That makes it hard to attract players/coaches that you might need, unless you get someone willing to do the hard years for a few years to try and build the next flag list in the late 2020s.

😂 Martin for pick 4.

Just by adding all their academy picks (I’m not sure how they are even relevant) does not make that deal any less ludicrous. Hey GC, why don’t you give us pick 4 for Rhys Mathieson? Then you’ll walk away with Mathieson, Walter, Read, and Rogers. That’s a great haul.

Oh, but I forgot Martin ‘knows Dimma’…

And all these great young kids being mentioned were the same ones supposedly ready to destroy the comp this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back