Game Day Richmond v Essendon Qualifying Final Punt Road Oval Saturday 31/8 2.10pm

peternorth

May 6, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
Just finished watching the replay. Can't remember a game where a Richmond team were that far down at 3 quarter time and managed to win. Love Nank's competitiveness and never say die attitude. He looked stuffed but willed himself and the team over the line. Easily our number 1 ruck and a nice kick to win the game. Some pretty disappointing efforts from players who I would have thought would be chomping at the bit for a possible place in the Seniors like McIntosh, Chol, Naish to name a few. RCD and Miller aren't even near being ready and probably won't make it. Pickett showed glimpses but it took him a while to get going. Garth was ok at times but didn't set the world on fire. Thought we were beaten solidly around the ball until the last quarter, Ross did some nice things though.
I want RCD to make it so one day we have
R: Coleman-Jones, Collier-Dawkins, Egg-Smith

Otherwise we have to look at the draft and wonder why we didn’t pick Irving mosquito

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond

Otherwise we have to look at the draft and wonder why we didn’t pick Irving mosquito

lol - commentators nightmare!!
Can see BT making a horrible mess of that

GoTigers2015

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Mitchelton-Scott

The curse of the hyphen lifted - Jarrod Oakley-Nicholls.

ohhhBigMalcho

All Australian
Oct 18, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa
unbelievable last quarter, glad i didn't turn it off at 3 QTR time.

Nank must simply play i think alongside Soldo, Chol 2nd preference and then Balta who didn't do enough round 23 for mine

Pickett looks great but not this year i think, let him debut round 1 next year as a feel good story.

Macintosh fallen off a cliff and would be some sort of trade bait this year you would think alongside Butler (who was okay). Ellis will likely leave i think which opens up a spot on the wing for someone next year, not sure Naish is the answer, Turner developing nicely

CCJ looks amazing for a 2nd year tall, finds the ball, contested marks, tackles, just a lot of things to love, don't know how he gets a game though, interesting dilemma

RCD is so far off its not funny, he is a great size and shape but extract the ball and don't fumble son! has concrete hands and has poor endurance and positioning and instincts, needs a lot of coaching and a large pre season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phar Ace

Premium Platinum
Feb 9, 2017
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brisbane Bullets, Firebirds
The boys must have read this thread at 3qtr time.
In hindsight that criticism is all good and well, but honestly, leading up to three qtr time, there wasn't much to suggest we had a snowflakes chance in hell. They had momentum, desire, structures, oh and a little thing called a 40pt lead. We had blokes waiting for the footy to come to them. At 3/4 time McRae apparently set them free from what must have been holding them back, they were told to use the corridor more, to change up the angles and play risky footy. It really was great to watch that finish!

Last edited:

Ocker

🏆Premiershipmond🏆
May 20, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I enjoyed a life of limited responsibilities and social vices once upon a time. Now i am the enemy. White, bald and middled aged. I’d love to have a hot tub time machine for just one weekend around 1995. We were allowed to have opinions and had a sense of humour back then. A time before social media and the innerwebz. Just imagine that again.
You've just described me mate hehe!
100% agree and would buy a ticket for that hot tub machine - particularly coz it's '95...awesome year for being at the G punt road end. Many beers, many laughs 👍,

Tiger_Of_Old

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
This win means that Richmond VFL has not lost a single game at Punt Road Oval this entire season. Next final is a Port Melbourne’s ground and the GF (if we make it) is at Marvel Stadium, so we will not be playing at Punt Road again this season. Well done boys!
DZT9fqn.gif

Tiger_Of_Old

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah, Im getting a little pesimistic on RCD. I know it's early but signs arent that great that he is going to a be a big accumulator. Some nice tackling today but he tends to spectate a bit much for my liking.

Hopefully if he puts on some more muscle over the off season it might change.
Small signs yesterday,But have seen it before with others.Bit here and there but thats about it.
Next year will tell the story.

Tiger_Of_Old

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
In hindsight that criticism is all good and well, but honestly, leading up to three qtr time, there wasn't much to suggest we had a snowflakes chance in hell. They had momentum, desire, structures, of and a little thing called a 40pt lead. We had blokes waiting for the footy to come to them. At 3/4 time McRae apparently set them free form what must have been holding them back, they were told to use the corridor more, to change up the angles and play risky footy. It really was great to watch that finish!
The amazing thing was is in the first 5mins of the last we were just going through the motions accepting our fate.Then bang!

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
unbelievable last quarter, glad i didn't turn it off at 3 QTR time.

Nank must simply play i think alongside Soldo, Chol 2nd preference and then Balta who didn't do enough round 23 for mine

Pickett looks great but not this year i think, let him debut round 1 next year as a feel good story.

Macintosh fallen off a cliff and would be some sort of trade bait this year you would think alongside Butler (who was okay). Ellis will likely leave i think which opens up a spot on the wing for someone next year, not sure Naish is the answer, Turner developing nicely

CCJ looks amazing for a 2nd year tall, finds the ball, contested marks, tackles, just a lot of things to love, don't know how he gets a game though, interesting dilemma

RCD is so far off its not funny, he is a great size and shape but extract the ball and don't fumble son! has concrete hands and has poor endurance and positioning and instincts, needs a lot of coaching and a large pre season
Kmac has hit the wall looks a shadow of his former self just can’t get his hands on the ball. I can’t see him playing any part in this years finals based on yesterday’s effort.

Unless he initiates a trade I’d hold onto him though his best is well and truely good enough and his hardness isn’t something we don’t necessarily have a lot of.

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Totally agree with everyone’s assessment of CJ and performance of Nank but Bumbers big man division was very underwhelming no 74 for them wasn’t much good.
CJ is a beautiful mover for a guy his size his ground work is first class. you can see him being one of those ruckman who follows up after a ruck contest and assists his mids at ground level and can go forward and clunk contested marks

Phar Ace

Premium Platinum
Feb 9, 2017
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brisbane Bullets, Firebirds
The amazing thing was is in the first 5mins of the last we were just going through the motions accepting our fate.Then bang!
I didn't get that quite so much, maybe with a few contests, but big Nack was really slamming into it. The very first contest out of the centre was OK with Nank and Pickett, but again no one really rolled up to help Pickett except an Essendon defender and that stopped what might have a been a magnificant start to the Qtr as we has loose players deep (all out the back waiting for it like the rest of the game) Our back 6 attacked the ball well - it was like they needed the 2nd qtr just to learn how to judge the ball in the air and then get told about. I would have needed that, but these guys are way more professional (but young and learning I guess)

richoatthedisco

PREMIERS, BIATCH!
Jun 18, 2007
FLAGSVILLE
AFL Club
Richmond
Kmac has hit the wall looks a shadow of his former self just can’t get his hands on the ball. I can’t see him playing any part in this years finals based on yesterday’s effort.

Unless he initiates a trade I’d hold onto him though his best is well and truely good enough and his hardness isn’t something we don’t necessarily have a lot of.
I'm going to disagree on the shadow bit. They put him back in the twos and into defence a few weeks ago so we had cover if Grimes or Broad went down. I've watched every game and he's been good down there. Then yesterday they put him back on the wing. He barely touched it in the first half but no wingers did. There was no room for typical wing play. Then he went down back in the second half and was very good.

Top Bottom