Toast Riley "Timo" Bonner

Remove this Banner Ad

The young defender's torture had just begun as he was introduced to the infamous 'Cornes Drill', where he had to try and beat Cornes to a series of ground balls.

Cornes proceeded to taunt and sledge Bonner as he denied him possession.

Haha Cornes just wants to be out there. Whether its as a drill, or a runner.

̶E̶L̶E̶M̶E̶N̶T̶S̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶e̶m̶o̶t̶i̶o̶n̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶t̶r̶e̶s̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶G̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶C̶o̶a̶s̶t̶-̶b̶a̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶c̶a̶m̶p̶ ̶l̶e̶f̶t̶ ̶s̶e̶v̶e̶r̶a̶l̶ ̶s̶e̶n̶i̶o̶r̶ ̶A̶d̶e̶l̶a̶i̶d̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶o̶t̶b̶a̶l̶l̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶s̶h̶a̶k̶e̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶f̶r̶u̶s̶t̶r̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶e̶a̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶F̶e̶b̶r̶u̶a̶r̶y̶.̶
ELEMENTS of an emotionally distressing post-training training drill left one rookie Port Adelaide footballer rising in his stardom in late March.

ROUND 1 Rising Star Riley Bonner says Port Adelaide’s off-season recruitment drive has swelled the club’s depth and helped power up all parts of the ground.
RISING Star Riley Bonner says Port Adelaide’s glut of recruits has swelled the club’s depth and helped power up all parts of the ground.
Bonner, 21, was named the Round 1 Rising Star nominee after blitzing Fremantle with 31 disposals on Saturday in a performance likely to earn the defender Brownlow Medal votes.
“For me it’s really focusing on my defence first and foremost,” Bonner said.
“Cutting out leads and helping our team defend when they have the ball. My offence then comes from my defence that I’ve worked on.
“Ken wants me to defend hard and then when we have the ball use your weapons, that’s what he says to me.”
More ..
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/po...e/news-story/03945eab3fa8d3b4ae0d119abfbbba8d

Ken wants me to defend hard, and then, when we have the ball, use your weapons.

He sure has weapons aplenty, and I think we will all enjoy his journey with Port Adelaide:D:p

Last edited:
Very exciting. We have a few more coming up. Atley is close in pushing for seniors. Like him because he reminds me of Francou. Bonner is the cream of the crop that was an integral part of our twos last year. But you wouldn't have said that last year. You gotta hand it to Cornes and Surjan. The old Choco mentality of identifying a talented player and putting extra time into him to fast track their development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bonner’s defensive work was the one thing that was missing from his game and why we persisted with a crocked Broadbent last year.

The fact that he’s so intent at actually being a defender now is the most pleasing thing about him this year, and what impressed me the most. Not the disposals - the tackles, the spoils and the smothers. That’s what endears you to your teammates, not the flashy stuff. He always had that in his kit bag, and there’s no reason why he can’t move into midfield at a later date if he shows that same commitment.

It’s his spot now. Imagine the confidence that will build in him when we knock off Sydney at the SCG.

missionpossible I'd like your thoughts on the following given your athletics coaching background and Bonner's 400m background. As you know the 100m-400m sprinters have to push off hard against the blocks and their first 2 or 3 steps have to have a lot of power and balance to set up their rhythm for the rest of the race. In the EF once in particular but a couple of other minor occasions, in a couple of trials and then again at least 3 times on Saturday, I have noticed that when Riley picks up the ball and is surrounded by 2 to 4 players, he seems to push off hard and able to be better balanced than his opponents and that's why he is able to sidestep them and get out of trouble, when you think he is going to get crunched. It might help that he is a left footer and that helps with wrong footing his opponents, but it seems to be those first two or three steps is where he gets his power and is able to just cut through a pack of opponents like a knife.

good recognition- stiff competition at the start of the year. Joins Pepper and Ollie as round 1 nominations

We've had the R1 nominee in 3 of the last 6 years. Not a bad strike rate.

Congrats Riley, well deserved. I must admit though, a third year player being eligible for the award doesn't seem quite right to me.

I was watching him at training this morning and he has a beautiful right foot as well!

Congrats Riley, well deserved. I must admit though, a third year player being eligible for the award doesn't seem quite right to me.
I remember Surjan got two nominations three years apart.

missionpossible I'd like your thoughts on the following given your athletics coaching background and Bonner's 400m background. As you know the 100m-400m sprinters have to push off hard against the blocks and their first 2 or 3 steps have to have a lot of power and balance to set up their rhythm for the rest of the race. In the EF once in particular but a couple of other minor occasions, in a couple of trials and then again at least 3 times on Saturday, I have noticed that when Riley picks up the ball and is surrounded by 2 to 4 players, he seems to push off hard and able to be better balanced than his opponents and that's why he is able to sidestep them and get out of trouble, when you think he is going to get crunched. It might help that he is a left footer and that helps with wrong footing his opponents, but it seems to be those first two or three steps is where he gets his power and is able to just cut through a pack of opponents like a knife.

REH I have always been worried about Bonner until I sat down and watched the second half of the crows game. By the time I saw his second touch I had noticed a massive increase in his power he could get into his first two steps whilst changing directions. There are very few athletes who can do this. To apply power in a straight line like sprinters are taught is one thing but to be able to apply that power whilst shifting direction is rare, not many in the afl can do it. Shaun Burgoyne is probably the last player we had who could do this.

You know I am very big on teaching footballers how to run, both power and distance. Running is one of those things that we all do it from a young age and we all think we do it properly, well that is fool hardy to believe that when you are self taught to believe that you do it correctly. Players spend more time running than doing anything else in football. It then only makes sense that you then try and teach how to run properly. How to apply power to the ground, how to run fast, how to do endurance running whilst minimising your use of energy. Players then also need to learn who to use these skill sets without being easily knocked off of their feet. One thing runners don't have to deal with is side on contact so there are times you don't want to run like an athlete, however when there is no contact you want to get maximum return for effort.

For Bonner is it the chicken or the egg. Is he a 400m runner because he has power or has he developed power because he was a 400m runner. To be fair it is probably a combination of both.

I’ve suggested elsewhere that we should have a rookie of the year award (best first year player) and rising star award (best player 21 and under - no games cap)

"It was one of the most gruelling things I've had to do," Bonner told AFL.com.au.

"Chad wouldn't let me get the ball. It was at the end of pre-season training and he was trying to mentally break me.

"It was tough at the time, especially being not as physically developed as I am now, but I got through it and it's helped me.

"I'd be last on the track, but I loved every bit of it. As much as I hated doing it, I knew they were putting the work into me for the long run, and I can't thank them enough for their time."
I know someone who coached him in his final jr years. Told me he was up himself and wasn’t the easiest to coach. I’m not surprised he’s been given some tuff love, not gifting him games and showing him nothing will be given to him has no doubt done him the world of good. Star in the making.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back