Rioli granted compassionate leave - AND HE'S BACK!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

When Wayne Carey came out and said Cyril was done with AFL and wanted to get back to the Tiwi he was shouted down and Clarkos response was very interesting/aggresive when you think about it.

Cyril’s interview a few weeks back didn’t do much for me at all. It was a concocted social media peace to keep people calm.

Cyril’s output like a lot of his senior teamates early last season was extremely poor and lacked energy and effort.

Cyril is on a lot of money to play footy. We have managed him over the course of his career through large injury lay offs, mid year spells back to the Tiwi etc etc and essentially he has now had 8 months without playing footy on big coin.

Hawks have there hands tied here. It’s too late to try and trade him or release him from his contract and we are duty bound to try and support him as much as possible.

At some stage very soon this will all come to a head. I hope he is back on deck next week with the club and is fresh and ready to start doing the work.

Couldn’t have said it better.

I work for a global corporate. If I took that amount of time off for a sick relative I’d be out the door. And I’m on a fraction of the coin.

We live in an economic reality here, and this is big business.

These guys are human. They’re not superhero’s. Treat them like everyone else and you’ll start to see it clearer.

I’d love to see Cyril walk through the door next week. Ffs he’s our best player when fit and willing.

But if the Duck’s mail is spot on, let’s move on.

Nothing from the club this week other than a token article on afl.com.au.

It’s time for answers.

Couldn’t have said it better.

I work for a global corporate. If I took that amount of time off for a sick relative I’d be out the door. And I’m on a fraction of the coin.

These guys are human. They’re not superhero’s. Treat them like everyone else and you’ll start to see it clearer.

I’d love to see Cyril walk through the door next week. Ffs he’s our best player when fit and willing.

But if the Duck’s mail is spot on, let’s move on.

Nothing from the club this week other than a token article on afl.com.au.

It’s time for answers.
Mate, it really isn’t.

If he’s not back at the club then they need to give the guy his space and time, and the supporters just need to have patience.

Mate, it really isn’t.

If he’s not back at the club then they need to give the guy his space and time, and the supporters just need to have patience.

To be fair to Tyler Durden, I’m torn. Particularly when I put my business hat on (because, let’s be fair, AFL is now a business).

I love that we’re the family club. It’s a huge honor being a member, and I love this part of our history. It gives our fans pride, and has been one of many factors that makes us a destination club.

But, conversely, we’re not spending peanuts here. These players work 10 months(ish) a year. That’s about 70k a month for Cyril. Two months off, on top of his annual leave, is costing us 140k, let alone the compounding effect on his fitness and form.

It’s an interesting issue for AFL footballers/the PA.

Personally, I work overseas. My boss has been great as my Mum is sick and I’ve come home for 2 weeks over Xmas, and they’re letting me stay and work from aus for a week more. But the expectation is to work. It’s a two way street, but it makes me more loyal.

Also, Cyril is a far more special talent than I. As a manager I’d be doing everything in my power to keep him for the next 3-5 years. How much you compromise in the short term is the question.

So, although he’s not taking the ‘softly softly’ approach, I think Tyler makes some fair points.

You are correct with that statement. And under the bargaining agreement the players actually accrue annual leave (four weeks) and have access to long service leave (although this is generally paid out rather than taken). If he accrues half a week a year (takes the other leave) then he has five weeks for the ten years plus the four weeks for 2017. That's nine weeks. He also has access to long service leave, that's another 8 weeks. That's 17 weeks all up so about 4 1/4 months. Went on compassionate leave towards the end of November. So roughly wouldn't need to come back until the start of April.

Also in the bargaining agreement there is the following:
Services, Injured Players and Fitness During Leave
(a) During Leave, Clubs may contact Players, but such contact:
(i) shall be limited to a semi-regular basis;
(ii) shall be determined by the welfare and needs of the Player; and
(iii) except as otherwise provided in this item 9, shall not require a Player to report on his training or fitness.
(b) During Leave, Clubs may provide Players with reasonable training guidelines, provided:
(i) the training guidelines are approved by the AFL and the AFLPA;
(ii) the training guidelines include a period of rest followed by a general preconditioning program that provides alternating days of rest and conditioning;
(iii) Clubs may not require Players to report about their training or fitness during Leave; and
(iv) Clubs may not monitor Players during Leave

So big business dictates that you can't have your update.

Mate, it really isn’t.

Do they? If you were working for a company and on 700k how much time would your employer give you off at full pay?

I hope like everyone he is back on deck asap.

Everyone knows he is our X factor and match winner and this in itself is a tricky thing for the club to manage.

Bloody hell.

This thread is like a pessimists haven.
Can I say I'm not overly pessimistic about Cyril. If he stays, great, but if he left, the club is bigger than any individual at the club.

I'm happy with what Cyril has given to our club, and perfectly at ease with anything he decides to do from here. He doesn't owe us anything.

Ok he wasn't spotted at training but surely if he was in Melbourne can someone please say they have seen the little champ buying milk at the local milk bar or putting out the bins! Don't they keep video footage of all arrivals into Melbourne airport?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If l was Cyril's old man l would have demanded he get back to the club weeks ago. Missing a chunk of pre season training can make it
very difficult to play well right through the season. l hope he's training up north, we need him firing.

Then at least say to 70k members, he needs more time and it’s indefinite leave again.

The silence is deafening.
If this is your reality then the silence is deafening a hell of a lot, as the club has never given a running commentary on these sorts of personal things that have affected our players from time to time.

If your expectation is that they should now start, you will be very disappointed.

To be fair to Tyler Durden, I’m torn. Particularly when I put my business hat on (because, let’s be fair, AFL is now a business).

I love that we’re the family club. It’s a huge honor being a member, and I love this part of our history. It gives our fans pride, and has been one of many factors that makes us a destination club.

But, conversely, we’re not spending peanuts here. These players work 10 months(ish) a year. That’s about 70k a month for Cyril. Two months off, on top of his annual leave, is costing us 140k, let alone the compounding effect on his fitness and form.

It’s an interesting issue for AFL footballers/the PA.

Personally, I work overseas. My boss has been great as my Mum is sick and I’ve come home for 2 weeks over Xmas, and they’re letting me stay and work from aus for a week more. But the expectation is to work. It’s a two way street, but it makes me more loyal.

Also, Cyril is a far more special talent than I. As a manager I’d be doing everything in my power to keep him for the next 3-5 years. How much you compromise in the short term is the question.

So, although he’s not taking the ‘softly softly’ approach, I think Tyler makes some fair points.
There’s a couple of things wrong with this comparison, but the main one that I immediately see is that you’re seemingly unaware of how culturally sensitive this is.

Rioli is a tiwi islander, from a very tight knit family, and anyone who knows anything about the Tiwi and Aboriginal people of this land knows that family ties are almost everything to their culture.

The club, quite rightly, have been lauded for the way in which they have managed our indigenous players and allowed them to spend the time with their families when they need it, as they have understood that this is imperative to the welfare of indigenous peoples.

What you’re now suggesting is that they should bypass this sensitivity, look at the $$$ and demand Cyril get back to training.

It’s a bit much, and it’s not going to happen.

Ag
If this is your reality then the silence is deafening a hell of a lot, as the club has never given a running commentary on these sorts of personal things that have affected our players from time to time.

If your expectation is that they should now start, you will be very disappointed.
Agree to disagree. Members wondering whether or not to re-sign have every right to know whether the club’s most exciting player is coming back. In any event, the story will build its own momentum and force the club’s hand very soon.

I think someone said there was going to be training earlier today.

Hoping for some answers from that... and maybe even a photo...

images

What do you call the pre Xmas video then?
The more they say nothing now, the more media attention it will draw.
My point was, if it’s indefinite leave again, then just say it.

When Wayne Carey came out and said Cyril was done with AFL and wanted to get back to the Tiwi he was shouted down and Clarkos response was very interesting/aggresive when you think about it.

There have been rumours that Cyril was angry with the way our senior players were treated leading up to and during the last two trade periods.

I'm not saying for a moment it's what's happened, but consider the possibility he asked to be traded but was refused. This may also explain a few things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back