List Mgmt. Rioli to Port Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if it's linked but Xavs twitter account is no longer 🤔 Was there earlier this week.
His Insta is off too.

Poor bloke though as I really rate his takes. Has the right balance of not sitting on the fence and calling it how he sees it but not too overly sensationalist that it’s still an opinion and not headline.

Someone please dig up an article on the Tim Kelly situation that highlights the little nerd being a gross hypocrite.

I’m sure that as a Cats supporter there would be a contradictory take from him somewhere in the ether.
I don't remember what he said about the Kelly trade but Gerard is a proponent of more free agency and movement of players than we have now. He wants something like the US or European environment.

His view on Rioli is consistent with everything else he's said.

Why is it average?

He's an uncontracted player who is exploring market offerings, the onus is on WCE to deliver a deal that demonstrates they value him, and want him as part of their long term planning.
they have and he didnt like (amongst other factors) their prudent and reasonable risk mitigation - he is a looser when it comes to helping build team culture.

I don't remember what he said about the Kelly trade but Gerard is a proponent of more free agency and movement of players than we have now. He wants something like the US or European environment.

His view on Rioli is consistent with everything else he's said.

Seemed far less sympathetic to get Kelly to WC not surprisingly

after what we've had to put up with with the two year ban that excuse goes out the door. hes still getting a decent contract with decent coin just doesnt want to be under stringent conditions.
No one else would take less dollars, less security, with more conditions. As I say, loyalty is part of it, but not at the expense of family.

Hate the game, not the player. Or, in this case, hate Port Adelaide.

No one else would take less dollars, less security, with more conditions. As I say, loyalty is part of it, but not at the expense of family.

Someone who had been really looked after by the club and who has an ounce of decency would.

There's heaps of examples of players taking lower contracts to stay with their club.

Not PA's fault.

It's all on Willie.

Let's agree to disagree on this one.

I have and know many others that have. Loyalty and integrirty are interesting concepts.

Is it true that Port are offering Rioli a 4-year deal? If so, that's complete madness. IMHO, it's a stretch to even offer him 3 years. Let's be pragmatic -- he'll be 28 years old next year and has played a little more than 50 games. He has had weight issues in the past and injuries. Not to mention his off field dramas too. And I can't even imagine where his head is at these days.

The guy has talent to burn... but as long as the trade is reasonable, I have no issues whatsoever.

My only problem is I suspect Port will lowball us. IMHO, he's worth a second-rounder which they just don't have. We are going to reamed and end up accepting a third-round pick.

Someone who had been really looked after by the club and who has an ounce of decency would.

There's heaps of examples of players taking lower contracts to stay with their club.

Not PA's fault.

It's all on Willie.

Let's agree to disagree on this one.
Happy to disagree on this, but I would add, most players on less coin are making the simple calculation of a few less dollars for more success. Rioli's situation is much more complicated than that. It's not just a few dollars, it's dollars, plus years, plus conditions, plus family support, with no promise of success. If it's true he is living away from his family for six months of the year, then that would be extremely isolating and supersedes anything football related.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have and know many others that have. Loyalty and integrirty are interesting concepts.
You've sacrificed your family's happiness for loyalty to a business? As I said above, it's about more than dollars and cents for Rioli, it's about family and future security. I have taken less dollars for better working conditions but that was in the knowledge I wouldn't be thrown on the scrapheap in four years time and not necessarily know where my next paycheck would come from after that.

Is it true that Port are offering Rioli a 4-year deal? If so, that's complete madness. IMHO, it's a stretch to even offer him 3 years. Let's be pragmatic -- he'll be 28 years old next year and has played a little more than 50 games. He has had weight issues in the past and injuries. Not to mention his off field dramas too. And I can't even imagine where his head is at these days.

The guy has talent to burn... but as long as the trade is reasonable, I have no issues whatsoever.

My only problem is I suspect Port will lowball us. IMHO, he's worth a second-rounder which they just don't have. We are going to reamed and end up accepting a third-round pick.
They should get a 2nd rounder for Amon compensation which should then go to WC if they are reasonable.

I accept 99% that Rioli is gone.
And that Port is his likely destination.

All that's really left is the question of his worth and what we can get for him.

What's he worth?
On pure talent, he'd easily make top 10 in this draft.
But there's more in play...
His age - drags the worth to bottom end of the first round. A fit, 27 year old Rioli with no history would easily be a mid to late teens pick.
But wait, there's more...
He has history. No need to re-gurge that. Lowers value to mid 20's.
But wait etc...
He has injury history and has struggled with weight his entire career. Lowers his value to below 30 if I'm honest.
But...
On the upside, there's what Port rate him as worth in contract etc. A four year deal on (apparently) pretty good coin suggests Port
1) rate him highly, and
2) think they can get his head right and keep it screwed on long term.
This raises the value back towards mid 20's.

So what can we get?
Port's second rounder would be perfect. Except we already have that!
I'd take next years second, or the Amon compo if it's decent.

There’s no way will accept a third rounder because the picks we have we probably won’t even use a pick that high 2nd rounder or he can go to the draft rather get nothing for him then accept an absalute useless pick

if they are reasonable.
Wrestling Laughing GIF by Howdy Price

You've sacrificed your family's happiness for loyalty to a business? As I said above, it's about more than dollars and cents for Rioli, it's about family and future security. I have taken less dollars for better working conditions but that was in the knowledge I wouldn't be thrown on the scrapheap in four years time and not necessarily know where my next paycheck would come from after that.
Most people I know are loyal and have integrity. You may know other types but I suspect the are a minority outside of the sex industry.

Rioli is suffering from the self inflicted and lacks personal accountability. WC are rebuilding a team and a winning culture - Rioli and his type are not a part of such a journey. We are best off with him gone.

They've got the Amon compensation to come through and there are plenty of ways to structure a deal that values Rioli around his worth which I reckon is an early 30s pick.

I'd rather get nothing and let him walk the tightrope of the PSD. He'll probably end up at Port anyway, but not bothered if it does happen.

Wonder when the official announcement will be made he got back 2 days ago would of thought he would of made up his mind by now , hopefully the club arnt upping his deal it’s funny I’ve gone from being very disappointed that he hasn’t signed yet to actually wanting him to go to port and see if we can snag another 2nd rounder

Happy to disagree on this, but I would add, most players on less coin are making the simple calculation of a few less dollars for more success. Rioli's situation is much more complicated than that. It's not just a few dollars, it's dollars, plus years, plus conditions, plus family support, with no promise of success. If it's true he is living away from his family for six months of the year, then that would be extremely isolating and supersedes anything football related.

Does anyone really know the money difference?
WCE Phil seems to think the money is about the same and the only differences are Ports offer is 1 more year plus no conditions.

As I've mentioned before, if Willie behaved himself, he gets another contract anyway.

All this talk about family support is bullshit IMO.

Was he thinking about his family when he tampered with his urine sample and was stuffing dope down his pants at the airport?

There's been countless examples of players in lower teams refusing bigger offers as they wanted to remain 1 club players.

Most people I know are loyal and have integrity. You may know other types but I suspect the are a minority outside of the sex industry.

Rioli is suffering from the self inflicted and lacks personal accountability. WC are rebuilding a team and a winning culture - Rioli and his type are not a part of such a journey. We are best off with him gone.
I used to think loyalty was important when working for your employer.

I've since been in enough situations where I've seen very loyal employees, who turned down better offers many a time elsewhere, get thrown to the scrap-heap very quickly the second the company's profits look in danger.

Loyalty doesn't pay the bills and is a very outdated concept in this day and age. Especially when its highly likely you won't even be talking to those same colleagues 6 months after leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back