Player Watch Rising Star 2022 Discussion

Who wins the 2022 Rising Star?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Definitely not a great kick. Compared to our other mids he looks like a great kick
Argument isn't if he's a "great kick" a great kick would be Rich as mentioned.

But Newcombe isn't an "average kick" slightly above average.

Maybe this may help.

Below average kicks are players you don't want with the footy and don't want kicking, kick long or handball asap. For example Ollie Wines, Matt Rowell.

Average kicks are players who if they have the footy you do get a little worried sometimes but for the most part can kick it long or find a target. For example Darcy Parish, Lachie Neale.

The next are a little harder.

I'd have above average and slightly above average as different.

Slightly above average kicks are players that can find targets, kick it long, but can be prone to a poor kick trying to be too risky, taking the game on but can hit some unreal and jaw dropping kicks aswell. For example players like, Petracca, Dusty. I'd put Jai Newcombe here, can be prone to a poor kick, but he can find targets, you feel safe when he has it that he'll get it out of the area anyway or hit a target, can hit some absolute darts and unreal kicks but can also turn it over in doing so.

Above average kicks are players that just know when to take the risk, when to sit back and find short kicks or to kick long. Alot of the AFLs good kicks sit here so i won't give a player example but here.

Elite kicks are hard to find and they are players you just know are gonna find a target, they play risky alot of the time but just find a way to hit you on the chest alot. Players like Daniel Rich, there's smokies for this but he'd be the main one especially with the RISK factor.

Maybe this may help.

Below average kicks are players you don't want with the footy and don't want kicking, kick long or handball asap. For example Ollie Wines, Matt Rowell.

Average kicks are players who if they have the footy you do get a little worried sometimes but for the most part can kick it long or find a target. For example Darcy Parish, Lachie Neale.

The next are a little harder.

I'd have above average and slightly above average as different.

Slightly above average kicks are players that can find targets, kick it long, but can be prone to a poor kick trying to be too risky, taking the game on but can hit some unreal and jaw dropping kicks aswell. For example players like, Petracca, Dusty. I'd put Jai Newcombe here, can be prone to a poor kick, but he can find targets, you feel safe when he has it that he'll get it out of the area anyway or hit a target, can hit some absolute darts and unreal kicks but can also turn it over in doing so.

Above average kicks are players that just know when to take the risk, when to sit back and find short kicks or to kick long. Alot of the AFLs good kicks sit here so i won't give a player example but here.

Elite kicks are hard to find and they are players you just know are gonna find a target, they play risky alot of the time but just find a way to hit you on the chest alot. Players like Daniel Rich, there's smokies for this but he'd be the main one especially with the RISK factor.

Dusty is far better than just an above average kick.

Even the likes of Buckley and Jarman were prone to the odd era, it didn’t change the fact they were some of the best kicks in history.

Martin is one of the best kicks in the comp, both in execution, penetration or any possibly category.

Dusty is far better than just an above average kick.

Even the likes of Buckley and Jarman were prone to the odd era, it didn’t change the fact they were some of the best kicks in history.

Martin is one of the best kicks in the comp, both in execution, penetration any possibly category.
Nah, disagree. Martin can be prone to more "wtf was that" moments than the blokes you mentioned who were on different levels of unreal.

Nah, disagree. Martin can be prone to more "wtf was that" moments than the blokes you mentioned who were on different levels of unreal.

I think he was talking about Nic Martin who has already been shown as one of the best kicks in the AFL mate ;):p

I think he was talking about Nic Martin who has already been shown as one of the best kicks in the AFL mate ;):p
Was very good in the 2nd half. It was interesting game between him and Newcombe. Newcombe was the dominant player on the ground in the 1st half but faded badly in the last quarter. Martin started slowly but was very good in the 2nd half, probably the classiest player on the ground

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jai can kick some low hard bullets to the leading forward. Also seen him kick a few howlers as well.

His best kick breaks open defences. His worst kicks are easy turn overs.

All kids at his age will have something to work on. Not a poor kick by any stretch of the imagination but I'm sure with more experience he will close in the difference between his best and his worst.

One thing that I like about him is he isn't afraid to go for those high degree of difficulty kicks. He doesn't take the easy option like Martin/Petracca. They turn it over plenty too but I think they execute it a bit more often than Jai at this stage.

I think given the inconsistency between his best and worst kick, average is a pretty good place to put him.

Lovely hands though. Best hands I've seen in a Hawthorn jumper since Mitchell. Also has the Hodge 40m bullet handball in his kit.

Far be it for me based on the team I support but JHF does duck a little, outside of that he is an out and out star and is the most watchable kid in the league. I love what he did last week with Silvagni.
You call him out for ducking, but like the fact that he hits players from behind without the ball?

Well fair enough, am a massive fan of Gibcus though

Such a fantastic group of nominees so far.
As of right now we have a group of about 7 that are going really well compared to previous sessions, so some blokes are going to be really unlucky if we are fixing a top 3/5 ect..... But your comment that one of those guys is "Not Close" pretty laughable don't you agree.

Normally we only have a top 2, 3 at best. It's a strong pack we have this year.

Fair battle this year. Been a while since there's been more than 1 or 2 who could take it out.

Still pretty early, too, really.

From memory I reckon Stephenson was close to being dropped the week before he went and got his Rising Star nomination in or around Round 5 of 2018, and he went on to win the whole thing.

The 20-year-old arrived at Fremantle via pick No.14 in the 2020 NAB AFL Draft after impressing for West Perth, where he captained the colts side and won their best and fairest.

The 193cm defender caught the eye of recruiters with his ability to lockdown the opposition's key forward while also displaying his intercepting prowess. The youngster exhibited his elite aerobic capacity as he ran the fastest 2km time trial at the 2020 WA draft combine testing.

He played an integral role across half back in Freo’s 78-point win against North Melbourne at Optus Stadium on Friday night, collecting 25 disposals, 12 intercept possessions, five marks and used the ball at 92 per cent efficiency.

Last edited:
Newcombe is a better kick than Parish.

Parish takes little risk, isn't huge on metres gained because alot of the time he's taking easier options and knowing his limitations.

Newcombe takes risks, and hits targets in doing so, you take the bad with the good on occasions. Someone like Petracca is as i've mentioned, you could also say Dusty at times (inconsistent, really good but can turn it over bad also)

Bahahaaa Parish is top 3 for score involvements and top 20 for goal assists

1652141346905.png

Such a good crop of youngsters

I'd have it:

1. Newcombe
Eq. 2 Martin / Daicos
4. Rachele
5. Chapman

at this stage

Newcombe is an absolute beast, if he can build an endurance base he's got the potential to be pre-2020 Cripps good

Still pretty early, too, really.

From memory I reckon Stephenson was close to being dropped the week before he went and got his Rising Star nomination in or around Round 5 of 2018, and he went on to win the whole thing.

Winner usually comes from the first 7-8 rounds of nominations. Don't think there is anyone left who has been unlucky so far.

It is disgusting how little 'support' JHF is getting from his senior players.

Back