Preview Rnd 1 - Melbourne vs Port Adelaide 23th March 1:45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's be real here, that act was considered so far outside the rules he is suspended for it. Not just a free kick, or a 50m penalty or even a fine but so far outside the written rules of Australian football that he should be suspended.

That an the ******* ridicolous fines that Oliver and VDB got for bloody love taps...

I don't think people understand the ripple effects of the softening on what's considered prohibited contact, theres gonna be a *load more people diving and flopping around for free kicks now off minimal contact because of the reward. I guarantee by the end of the year people will be complaing about the diving an it's there own fault for wanting the threshold in a mans game to be so low.

Stop lying to everyone and saying the bump is still a part of Australian football because it isn't

Where's the point when you have accept the risk involved playing this sport or are they gonna continue edging towards non contact?

if that is a week, this game is ******.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Agree with this 100%! The AFL has to be careful not to lose the supporters who have young kids being introduced to the game. It is fast becoming a very soft sport which is turning a lot of people I know away from the game and on to basketball or soccer. This is one of the weakest acts to get a suspension I have ever seen. Where is the outcry about the Brisbane bloke folding like a pack of cards? Absolute minimal contact and the bloke played on. Free kick at worst. The fact he won't be playing Round 1 is an absolute embarrassment for the AFL. I couldn't care if it was a demons player or not, players should never miss games based on this act. Put bibs on the players and call it AFLX because AFL is dead. The club better appeal this rubbish. And don't get me started on this 50 metre rule! Ive been watching the game all my life, and I feel I need a spreadsheet in front of me explaining all the rule changes. It's getting harder and harder to follow. The players, coaches and supporters are getting more and more confused each year. I think if the Grand Final goes twilight, those in charge need to be physically removed from the AFL headquarters. Too many rule changes, game is as soft as butter, and a twilight GF would be the icing on the cake. Look what the AFL hierarchy has done to the women's game. I honestly think they have no clue how to run this game. They are completely clueless.

Agree with this 100%! The AFL has to be careful not to lose the supporters who have young kids being introduced to the game. It is fast becoming a very soft sport which is turning a lot of people I know away from the game and on to basketball or soccer. This is one of the weakest acts to get a suspension I have ever seen. Where is the outcry about the Brisbane bloke folding like a pack of cards? Absolute minimal contact and the bloke played on. Free kick at worst. The fact he won't be playing Round 1 is an absolute embarrassment for the AFL. I couldn't care if it was a demons player or not, players should never miss games based on this act. Put bibs on the players and call it AFLX because AFL is dead. The club better appeal this rubbish. And don't get me started on this 50 metre rule! Ive been watching the game all my life, and I feel I need a spreadsheet in front of me explaining all the rule changes. It's getting harder and harder to follow. The players, coaches and supporters are getting more and more confused each year. I think if the Grand Final goes twilight, those in charge need to be physically removed from the AFL headquarters. Too many rule changes, game is as soft as butter, and a twilight GF would be the icing on the cake. Look what the AFL hierarchy has done to the women's game. I honestly think they have no clue how to run this game. They are completely clueless.
yep, this 100%.

May took two steps forward and blocked him. He didnt jump off the ground nor did he run through him.

NO freekick was paid and NO Brisbane player reminstrated with him.

So the AFL decide to suspend him for this outrageous act of viciousness. ******* joke!

If Oliver flopped like that, it would be page 1 news about him flopping.

MFC better fight this bullshit decision

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went into it a bit on the Match Day thread with the Lions bloke ... but I think we'll absolutely appeal it, and I'd be reasonably surprised if he doesn't get off.

This is Christian making a statement, and setting a tone to try and prevent more suspensions down the line, but he is absolutely REACHING with that grading.

High contact you can't argue, he only nicks his chin in a way that would be lucky to break the skin with a razor, but you can see the contact with the chin. Of course the absurd thing is, if the contact is a quarter of a second earlier, he'd probably miss and have nothing to answer, but alas, it's there.

The medium impact grading is a complete farce however, and seems to be completely based on the fact that Berry didn't return to the field ... In the last qrt of a JLT game, with 6 other fit players on there who'd could all do with game time ... It'll depend on what the Lions/Berry have to say, but if he was fine and had no concussion, there is no chance he wouldn't have come back on if there was actually something to play for, as weak a basis for punishment as the bump itself.

This is a very well constructed and argued synopsis of what confronts our game, well done CD.

To reiterate,please leave our great game alone, stop pandering to the mealy mouthed morons who think that this game was never based on a level of hard contested ball, (and to the naysayers) yes it means that from time to time people get hurt, but it is nearly always not deliberate (well sometimes it is, ie, Neville Bruns :cool:).

The majority of supposedly serious incidents I believe is just a consequence of the pace of our game, and I do not in anyway refer to deliberate targeting of the head, but there are times when the actions of the other person mean that an individual, who has no malicious intent (other than being seen as tough and strong) and is going for the ball, is caught out by a particular situation, which in many respects is not of his/her own doing but they are seen as the transgressor.

Was this worth a week, no ****ing way? A fine, maybe, only just maybe? If it was soccer the Brisbane bloke would have a got a yellow card for diving.

Some worrying signs in the pre-season. I have no doubt we will hit our stride at some point, but with arguably the toughest draw this season, we can't afford to drop a game like Round 1 at home against an interstate team tipped to miss the 8 by most. Sounds silly, but its a must win.

However, I just have this feeling we wont. Too many niggles and injury concerns and players underdone. Now May misses. No way Jones, Melksham, Viney, Harmes will be 100%. And we must have had 3 or 4 other blokes limping through that Lions game. Not to mention the same issues as last year showed up in the two JLT games. Lack of run out of defence, and hitting targets in the F50. Neither looked to have improved. Both Tigers and Lions transition out of defence and into attack made us look 2nd rate.

The last worrying thing for me is form. Yes, say it's JLT and it doesnt mean anything, yet all the other teams vying for top 4 got the job done and will take momentum into the season. Port will bring the intensity. I'm worried we wont be able to match it based on several worrying signs. Lets hope they put these concerns to rest in a couple of weeks.

An furthermore for those who are like 'oh well he should be smarter' what's the natural conclusion to this contact farce?

If you take a single brick from someone's home it's no big deal but if you keep letting them take one eventually there won't be a ******* house.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back