Preview RND 15 - Carlton vs Adelaide (Crom) - Sunday June 27th 4:10pm (EST) @ Marvel Stadium - Team - Post #762

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would rather keep Jones in defence on Ted to allow us to defend the quick center clearance by the crows, with him in the ruck we are completely exposed.

Jones may well surprise as a second ruckman because he has a high leap and is very mobile around the ground. I would back him to take marks in general play better than Pittonet. It would be a bet I would be willing to take and I would also switch Weitering on to Walker - who these days isn't the fastest leading forward anyway - Weitering is being wasted playing second fiddle to Jones - we dont see enough of him as a kicking outlet.

It will be a game to play an extra defender anyway - Docherty is out of form atm but is a confidence thing - a few marks and some tighter accountable defending can fix that - along with better support from Williams and Newman.

I wouldn't be enjoying game if I my kicking went backwards either. Doc and Cripps need to lead by example. If you're having an off day (cant kick cant handball) put your head over the bloody ball, lay some hard tackles, stand up for the younger players and show some leadership.

Jones may well surprise as a second ruckman because he has a high leap and is very mobile around the ground. I would back him to take marks in general play better than Pittonet. It would be a bet I would be willing to take and I would also switch Weitering on to Walker - who these days isn't the fastest leading forward anyway - Weitering is being wasted playing second fiddle to Jones - we dont see enough of him as a kicking outlet.

It will be a game to play an extra defender anyway - Docherty is out of form atm but is a confidence thing - a few marks and some tighter accountable defending can fix that - along with better support from Williams and Newman.

I have no doubt about this, he would be great however I just believe he is more value to the team playing at full back.

I have no doubt about this, he would be great however I just believe he is more value to the team playing at full back.

Yeah - I've got little confidence in Teague and his crew being able to do anything that works - anywhere atm. Just my thought bubble re relief ruck options - after I got over laughing at the thought of poor Kennedy playing HF/wing/on ball and ruck all in one game.

1 underdone ruckman a break glass situation?

Mirkov isn’t under done - he needs to be completely developed from scratch, as someone correctly pointed out he’s played half a season of VAFA, 2 and a bit VFL games. The kid is athletic, but is a young giraffe all arms and legs and as witnessedby his injury last week, still doesn’t know how to land properly.

Remember when Justin Madden came to our club with 40 VFL games under his belt he still wasn’t the finished article.

If H was a little less susceptible to injury I'd agree with the premise. Imagine seeing him come down on his ankle like Mirkov did at the centre bounce last week. Pass.
Can do the exact same coming down from a marking contest and many other contests in a game .
Has there been studys done stating ruckman get injured more because of ruck contests ?
I really dont think we should be going into games thinking what if .
Unless Russell has recommended Harry shouldnt ruck i dont see a problem .
Pretty sure he rucked in juniors has done some rucking in his first couple of years and has bulked up somewhat .
Could be a diamond in the rough staring us in the face imo .

Mirkov isn’t under done - he needs to be completely developed from scratch, as someone correctly pointed out he’s played half a season of VAFA, 2 and a bit VFL games. The kid is athletic, but is a young giraffe all arms and legs and as witnessedby his injury last week, still doesn’t know how to land properly.

Remember when Justin Madden came to our club with 40 VFL games under his belt he still wasn’t the finished article.

And it was in C grade VAFA for Old Ivanhoe, we all love a fairy tail but that is just too big a jump within 3 months.

Can do the exact same coming down from a marking contest and many other contests in a game .
Has there been studys done stating ruckman get injured more because of ruck contests ?
I really dont think we should be going into games thinking what if .
Unless Russell has recommended Harry shouldnt ruck i dont see a problem .
Pretty sure he rucked in juniors has done some rucking in his first couple of years and has bulked up somewhat .
Could be a diamond in the rough staring us in the face imo .

Its the knee on knee impact contact at a center bounce that is most concerning to risk a prime asset like McKay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I meant an underdone TDK having to ruck all day by himself and no-one else to help him - break glass situation?

Who would you have brought in for Gov last year?

I don’t see the individual names as being important, same with Levi this year, when players play and show they either aren’t fit enough, don’t play with the right effort, or play very poorly over multiple games, then I think they should be dropped.

To try and answer your question a little better, regardless it there wasn’t a like for like replacement, as SOS and TDK were injured for large chunks of the season, I would have replaced him regardless, I think we as a club, do not set high standards.

Its the knee on knee impact contact at a center bounce that is most concerning to risk a prime asset like McKay.
I dont see it as risk because its a contact sport players are at risk when they run out on the ground thats the game .
Charlie injured his knee on one of the many occasions in a knee on knee non ruck contest it happens .
We cant be limiting players capabilities because of what if .

Im quite amazed that if Teague hasnt been advised by Russell to not ruck Harry that he hasnt been rucking given Cas is at the end and we dont seem to have any other genuine forward/ruck .

Not even close. I think he's on half that.

Debatable, media reports state, Jack Martins front loaded contract to earn him close to $2M in his first two seasons, before dropping.

Reported to average out to around $600,000 per year, some articles reported as high as $3.5M over the 5 years, if he met triggers.

This was widely accepted on here at the time and referenced in multiple outlets.

I also have no issue with it, I have issue with Teague picking him, when he cant run and cant influence a game.

Last edited:
We’ve got Newman, Doc, Saad and Williams. They all play differently, but are all half-backs that prefer attack to defence. They all play loose.

Doc has always played loose, just that when Daisy and Simmo played alongside him our backline was far tighter which allowed Doc more latitude. Saad, Williams and Newman don’t ‘mix’ defence and attack as well as Daisy and Simmo who generally worked harder (despite their ages).

Reckon we can only afford to play 2 of Saad, Williams, doc and Newman. One issue though is I’m not sure who in the reserves plays tight. We’ve tried Ed down back but that shouldn’t have happened. Unless we get one or 2 lockdown defenders we’re going to remain exposed.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Spot on KH...
Imo Doc Newman Saad Plowman & Jones all have various multiple flaws as defenders...
Williams at GWS although an attacking defender could actually play his opponent well one on one and beat them, like all AFL defenders should imo...
We have a mixture of good, average and below average defenders who lack basic defensive abilities that should be non negotiable along with the defensive mindset required, besides Weitering who is head and shoulders above the rest, every other defender we have does get exposed through various deficiencies and flaws which you don’t get with the better defenders of the comp, their efforts and pressure are at a much higher standard...
Premierships are built on strong cohesive reliable defences, ours unfortunately atm most of the times is sub par...
Big issue is we don’t have an up and coming KPD coming through on the list we don’t have any small lockdown defenders who can play the league’s dangerous smalls properly and our medium defenders are no good or poor defensively...
We rely too heavily on an incoming recruit ‘Saad’ who is our only line breaking rebound from defence, no one else offers any type of serious run and overlap, now that Williams is back there should offer some more run but is seriously underdone, hasn’t been AFL fit all year as our MC keep playing injured and underdone players all year...

Last edited:
When was the last time Ed Curnow tagged someone?
I can’t recall a tag in the last 6 games - GWS, West Coast, Sydney, Hawthorn, Melbourne and Bulldogs.
Unless I’m missing something, the last tag I recall was on Merrett against Essendon.
This tactic has worked well for us in the past.
Keays will likely go to Walsh. Players like De Boar, Harmes, O’Connor etc have contributed strongly to wins this year with tags.
Wake up Teague and send Ed to Laird. This is probably Ed’s best asset. Stop wasting it due to a singleminded focus on offence to the complete detriment of defending.
Laird is a big acculumater and penetrating kick. I agree, Ed must tag him to keep his impact down.

It's a simple soundbite but a hollow goal.

Having fun on the field is advent of success. You can't just say "Let's start having fun" and *NTTAWWT* you're having fun now. They'll start having fun when they start winning.

People say Eddie is one of the happiest players in the game, he's always smiling etc. It's true, but it's because he can do downright ridiculous things and make it look easy. That's due to a million hours of practice and it paying off in the highest of high pressure environments. He wouldn't look so happy on the field if all those bananas were going out on the full. He's happy because he's reaping rewards for all the effort he's put in - and that's exactly what should be the ultimate goal.

It's the same in life; happiness in of itself isn't a very good goal. Happiness comes about as a consequence of doing something you're passionate about well and are finding fulfillment and meaning in it. The goal should be finding and doing that thing, do that and happiness will find you.

Yep, my sporting philosophy was generally:
- I have fun when I win
- I win when I work hard
- Therefore I work hard to have fun

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

May as well use a bigger mid like Kennedy. Doesnt have to do much in the ruck but be at the feet and compete. Ruckman are overrated anyway

Most things relating to us is either over rated or over paid. Might as well use murph.

Got a feeling the boys will rebound for this game. Don’t know why but I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back