Autopsy Rnd 8 Blues get the 4 points but .... yuck

Who were your 5 best players in Round 8 vs North Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Martin is about to come into his prime, will only get better

While he has had some poor moments, has been crucial in our wins
Not to mention, that free kick robbing Gov of a shot on goal - while technically there - is exceptionally soft. He had eyes for the ball, and didn't intend to make contact hard. He was trying to locate the person he was going to leap on, as an awful lot of players do; the contact was completely incidental.

Here's the kicker for me: contact frees in this sport were brought in/designed to reduce unaware contact, with the explicit aim of allowing other people to protect themselves and avoid injury. In the back, tripping; both occur to when your mind is elsewhere. Contact below the knees, around the neck, front on contact; these to stop injury.

In sight of adding additional complication to the AFL ruleset/interpretation fiasco, they need to go back to this question when paying a free kick: is this action going to result in an injury? If not, it's footy. Deal with it.

Gov should've gotten his shot.

Not to mention, that free kick robbing Gov of a shot on goal - while technically there - is exceptionally soft. He had eyes for the ball, and didn't intend to make contact hard. He was trying to locate the person he was going to leap on, as an awful lot of players do; the contact was completely incidental.

Here's the kicker for me: contact frees in this sport were brought in/designed to reduce unaware contact, with the explicit aim of allowing other people to protect themselves and avoid injury. In the back, tripping; both occur to when your mind is elsewhere. Contact below the knees, around the neck, front on contact; these to stop injury.

In sight of adding additional complication to the AFL ruleset/interpretation fiasco, they need to go back to this question when paying a free kick: is this action going to result in an injury? If not, it's footy. Deal with it.

I mostly agree, but that opens up another Pandora's box for inconsistent interpretation

Head should be protected, accident or not

Reduce/minimize the grey areas, the game will be better for it

Plan A of forward entries with marking talls worked well.... Plan B without them, or with only Casboult in 1 on 2, fails.

So unless Harry is back they'll need to rethink how they approach the I50s and really look for leads again. Entries in the second half were woeful; luckier theirs were worse!

I mostly agree, but that opens up another Pandora's box for inconsistent interpretation

Head should be protected, accident or not

Reduce/minimize the grey areas, the game will be better for it
I know it does, which is why I'd be loathe to give such a thing to the AFL. They'd find a way to stuff it right up.

I maintain, though, that this is the key difference between those who play the game or watch it, and those who umpire it: those who watch the game have a feel for it, they look at the rules and they see why the rules are the way they are, the rough justice of it. Those who umpire the game see the rules as written, not the spirit of them. A letter of the law understanding, compared to the ethos that went into making it, if that makes sense.

I will say, though, that such a thing would result in a) less free kicks and more continuous play, and b) less nonsensical ruck infringements!!!

Again, I disagree. I find it amusing how many people feel required to jump up and down when you don’t mention Plowman in a positive light. I simply stated I feel nervous with him in one on ones. He regularly gets out bodied and has no intensity at the contest. I don’t think the rest of our back six suffer from that. If people are happy with his output good for you.
All in all happy to get away with a win in a scrappy game. Hopefully we put the hawks to the sword next week.
Spot on. His decision making with the ball leaves a lot to be desired.

Moore did okay at the centre bounces, but hopefully Teague digs deeper as I believe TDK would have been a better option overall
I get that Teague is rewarding form at the lower grade and not gifting games to youngsters, but there is a balance of also needing to get experience into the younger players.

I have nothing against Moore, at least his opponents didn’t get hold of us. But if feels like a bit of a wasted opportunity to get TDK some experience. I would be surprised if Moore is on our list in 2 years time and I would prefer to invest in our future.

At some point we're going to be grateful the opposition put all their time into Cripps and Doc, but leave Setters, Kennedy and Cuningham loose.
This is the best way to help Cripps.

Setters did well yesterday if he can keep that up and do damage they won't be able to manhandle Cripps like they are and he will start to open games up again.

Its sucks he isn't getting protected from this stuff from the ump but complaining won't solve the problem.

The best problem is to find a way to use all the attention he gets to our advantage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wish people here would get off Moore's back. The conditions up there were hardly helpful to a big fella like him, and he clearly has been Rusty yes, but will be better for the run.

As we have seen with Newnes (and countless other players at our club past and present) you shouldn't write off a player if they put in an underwhelming game (esp on debut)

Did Weitering lose a contest today?

Just unbelievable again.

In AA (absolutely awesome) form...

Imagine wasting pick 1 on a defender, they said.

Carlton ruined his development, they said.

Hold my alcohol-free beer, Jacob said.

Serious question: what is the rule around using your foot as protection against oncoming player in a marking contest.

Examples: Cripps today and sps a few weeks ago.
It should be a free kick. They made a real point about paying these last year after some of Toby Greene’s antics but they seem to not be looking for it now. We definitely need to be discussing those incidents with the head of umpiring.

Few points on this one.

1. Jack martin isn't a key forward. Someone needs to tell him to stop flying for pack marks. Stay at ground level and look for opportunities when our key forwards bring it to ground. Several times he's interfered with our key forwards marking, not just this week either.

2. Very glad cuningham iced the game this week. Third time he's had the opportunity to do it this year and great to see him back his skills and finally nail it.

3. Setterfield and Kennedy can handle the inside grunt work when Cripps is down. When Cripps is getting the heavy tag we should have no hesitation lean on these guys. 20+ from kennedy setterfield and walsh this week.

4. We need SPS to do for Docherty what setters and Kennedy are doing for Cripps. When doc is getting a hard tag he needs to instruct SPS that everything leaving this defence goes through him.

5. Callum moore competed hard but doesn't look anywhere near up to it. Bring fisher in and play kennedy forward if he we have to this week.

6. Surely Newnes done enough to earn the respect of the fans around here now.

And Martin is a very good set shot, just some aberrations past 2 weeks, has kicked some clutch goals this year!

Can't agree with this at all.
He's kicked 9.10 for the year. For a player of his talent and (prior to yesterday) form, his set shot kicking is a distinct weakness.

Did Weitering lose a contest today?

Just unbelievable again.

In AA (absolutely awesome) form...
Commentators said in the Port game he hadn't lost a contest all year. Not sure how they work that out exactly, nor recall how he went in the Port game, but fairly sure he again didn't lose a contest yesterday.

According to SHS this morning, he's reportedly on over 1mill, (more than Cripps on about 900 thou.) Nice playmaker, and had some great games, but quiet in others. On that money would expect him to be a little more consistent. His missed goal from 20m out could have hurt us. Missed a vital goal last week against Port in last quarter, which if he had kicked would probably have won us the game.​

Contract heavily front ended to ensure other teams couldn't compete with offer at post-season draft.

Likely wage will significantly diminish over the next couple of years....

Agree. It also promotes players to duck, flop and stage for free kicks because of the interpretations of the rules.

When there's a ruck contest and an oppo rover picks the ball up in congestion, too right our players should be tackle-first mentality to force the contest. But now you have rovers deliberately dropping to their knees (like a few times yesterday) and flopping forward for the "in the back" free when they're tackled. It should not be the intent of the rule and it's a horrible look for the game.... I understand that it's difficult for umpires to keep track of everything that's going on in and around that sort of contest, which means the rules have to change - let them play footy. IMO, of course...

I loved Murph back in the day, however these days I just see him flopping for frees or corralling rather than going hard more often than not.

With his age and family circumstances I'd send him and Betts back to Melbourne now so that they get in some family time, refresh and be prepared post bye.

Use their spots and our injuries to give a few younger blokes a run - Fisher, Honey, O'Brien, Dow.
Murph has copped a battering over the years for us and still does plenty of the hard stuff, did a great block as well. Does anyone not want Papley after he went to ground yesterday? Murph drawing that free might have won us the game, didn't bother me at all.

Back