Autopsy Rnd 8 Blues get the 4 points but .... yuck

Who were your 5 best players in Round 8 vs North Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Martin is about to come into his prime, will only get better

While he has had some poor moments, has been crucial in our wins
Martin can go anywhere and is a match winner. All players make mistakes, unrealistic to expect otherwise. Cripps goes to him often at the start of quarters I've noticed. He knows he's on his level.

In the dry, I would advocate for TDK too. The kid needs some runs on the board soon. I reckon he might have been bullied around the ground today and been a bit of a sacrificial lamb. Glad he didn’t come in tbh. He will have his day, and then some.
But why Moore?
Honestly embrassing

I’m feeling good about the win. Sure, the game was nothing to write home about, but to be any realistic chance of making the finals we simply had to win here and we did. Successful teams need to win ugly from time to time, we have a long way to go but there is progression.

Setterfield is becoming more accomplished by the game. There hasn’t been anything outstanding about his games but his ball use was very good yesterday and he is growing as an AFL mid very nicely.

It's so great to win when i'd have our best players as:
Kennedy
Setterfield
Pittonet
Weitering
Plowman

The improvement of the first 3 in particular are going to be so crucial to our rise up the ladder...we finally have a durable ruckman and we have 2 young mids to give us the big bodies we've needed to support Cripps.

Weitering is now the star he was destined to become and Plow has been very reliable lately.

Have given it a day to digest, might as well share some thoughts.

Setterfield on-ball has been wonderful. I had some doubts for a while, as he just seemed to be lacking intensity, but being at the coalface seems to have him playing with more urgency and intent and his skills are on full display. Hoping his rate of improvement continues, because he's not far away from becoming the offsider we need for Cripps.

I love having two blokes playing the wings who get forward and kick goals. Newnes and Walsh both lack just a little bit of polish at times, but their workrate is huge and it's great seeing them taking big defensive marks one minute, and then kicking goals the next. Very easy position to be a bit passive and just drift around hoping the ball comes to you, but our lads are making good position on a regular basis.

If you'd told me pregame that we'd get a win without Charlie, Harry, Gov, and Levi's ability to move...I'd have laughed you out the door. Testament to the 22 (20...) for digging deep and finding a way. Definitely concerned that, when we found ourselves without any real targets, we reverted to just kicking long to stationary contests.

I don't like potting umpires, but I think if anyone has reason to at the moment it's us. Someone at the club needs to put together a little compilation video of all the bullshit calls and inconsistencies, and send it to the umpiring department with a "Please explain". I don't want to be looked after by them, I'd just love to walk away not feeling like we had to win despite them.

Elephant in the room. Callum Moore. I've seen a lot of people questioning why he was picked ahead of TDK. I think the simple answer is that he had been performing consistently better at reserves level. He's certainly better than what he displayed yesterday, but the reality is that he's the last name on the list, was only taken because Kemp was ruled out for the year and Charlie was busted - and for a bloke his age he needed to come in and perform. Philp was similar, in that he looked a fair way off the pace when he got his first opportunity - but he's an 18yo, first year player and someone the club is invested in for the long term. Maybe Moore gets another chance, pending fitness of other blokes, but I think he blew it and the right move now is to give TDK a run, bring JSOS back, or play smaller with Honey/Owies. It's about trust - selection committee need to know that if you're performing well at reserves level, that you'll carry that form into the seniors. If they show that trust, and you burn them, then there is no reason for them to reward good reserves form again any time soon.

Four points in the bank, that's the important bit. Not sure if Hawthorn losing to Sydney is good or bad for us. Either Clarko will go ham with the axe and drop a bunch of senior blokes for kids (good for us), or he'll light a rocket under the senior blokes and they'll play above their level. Good chance to get ahead of the ledger though, 5-4 would be lovely.

Setterfield and Kennedy doing amazing. Plow again played well.
Lots to look forward too
Kennedy’s link play today was outstanding his marking was greAt and some of his handballs especially around half forward we’re pivotal, him and Setters are able to get free because of the work of Cripps, also need to look to use them more when going inside 50 as Kennedy got free forward straight in front multiple times and wasn’t used he could have kicked 5 if players looked in board when entering 50. Great games from him and Setters who won us the game with there work and positioning and clean hands and great vision.

Last edited:
No protection at all for a ball player in a game where nearly a free kick a minute was given. Disgraceful.
Also if you look at the high fend free paid against Cripps he pushes his shoulder which shouldn’t be paid and wasn’t in other circumstances namely Pittards fend before he took the advantage and kicked to Larkey inside 50 it was identical to the Cripps fend off but no free, go figure.

Just watched the replay.
Few observations:
1) Umpiring was horrible and really worked against us. 2nd deliberate given against Docherty was outrageous.
2) Calum Moore was a disgrace- didn't even attempt a 2nd effort in contests and would have to have the AFL investigating match fixing by Carlton just for selecting him.
I didn't even know he was on the list- why was he picked up???
Lack of talent is one thing lack of effort is disgraceful.
3) Newnes was good up forward but made a costly turnover down back (so all up he gave us one goal).
He seems to offer something up forward but seems more of a liability down back in which case have to think as mentioned last week better he be played as a defensive forward/wingman rather than defender.
4)We really missed MacKay and McGovern(2nd half).
5) You can't substitute genuine talent.
Walsh, Setterfield, Sps a cut above the rest.
6) Thought Pittonet more than held his own against one of the better ruckmen in the competition.
7) Inaccurate goalkicking cost us AGAIN- Martin's let us down when he has normally been reliable.
8) Still should've won by 4 goals - disappointing in that sense.
More to come😄
Martins last three shots at goal have been horrible, he is leaning back way to far when kicking so no surprise they are sliding off the side, surprised it wasn’t picked up after last week and rectified for this week but I suppose you can’t find and fix everything.

Martins last three shots at goal have been horrible, he is leaning back way to far when kicking so no surprise they are sliding off the side, surprised it wasn’t picked up after last week and rectified for this week but I suppose you can’t find and fix everything.

In fairness, his last kick yesterday was during the absolute worst of the rain, and he was a long way out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripps could lift and maybe some other players could help him a bit more.

One thing I'd say though is teagues game plan promotes role and structure over individual star performances.

So maybe in the past where we would just tap it to cripps or let him chase the ball all over the ground, we now mix it up and tap to others like setterfield, and keep our structure around the ground. Teague wants an even spread and to keep the opposition guessing.

Like walsh racking up possessions last year but this year doesn't because he's on a wing and has to hold his shape not just ball hunt.
Yep spot on and the attention on Cripps is freeing up Setters and especially Kennedy who we just need to use more especially when they push forward and get free, killing it.

I knew when I heard the old “building nicely” when talking about TDK during the week he wasn’t getting a game. Honestly wtf are we a last chance saloon for bog ordinary footballers?
Very true. So much much about how much he’s improving. yada yada. But if we’re giving plodders like Moore a game in front of him, is he ever going to get there?

Martin can go anywhere and is a match winner. All players make mistakes, unrealistic to expect otherwise. Cripps goes to him often at the start of quarters I've noticed. He knows he's on his level.
Not sure if I want him to keep flying like he is. If he takes it, MOTY. When he doesn't......

I loved Murph back in the day, however these days I just see him flopping for frees or corralling rather than going hard more often than not.

With his age and family circumstances I'd send him and Betts back to Melbourne now so that they get in some family time, refresh and be prepared post bye.

Use their spots and our injuries to give a few younger blokes a run - Fisher, Honey, O'Brien, Dow.

I can’t see us resting our older players until we have 4 day game breaks or until we are out of the finals race

I can’t see us resting our older players until we have 4 day game breaks or until we are out of the finals race
You're probably right. With Betts recent pregnancy news and Murphy's family reportedly still in Melbourne, they could go back now, spend 4-5 days before heading west and be back before the post bye game. To me it's just a logical outcome which doesn't jeopardise our season.

You're probably right. With Betts recent pregnancy news and Murphy's family reportedly still in Melbourne, they could go back now, spend 4-5 days before heading west and be back before the post bye game. To me it's just a logical outcome which doesn't jeopardise our season.
They'd need to isolate for 14 days coming from Melbourne compared to Queensland.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back