Rookie #26 (2015) - Cameron Hewett

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives as I see it:
  • Awkward kicking style, but hit every target in the video
  • Seems to have good awareness
  • Takes the game on
  • willing to get his own ball as well as receive
  • some footy smarts with nice evasive skills and sidestep
Certainly looks to have something there that the coaches can worth with, but is a wildcard

reminds me of micky mcguane

I've always liked the scruffy socks down guernsey out types. Usually tough honest footballers.

The one thing about that collection of highlights is he makes the right decision every time he gets the ball. Sure they are highlights but I've seen plenty of highlights videos with lots of ordinary decisions or thoughtless disposals. He's thought through every one of those moments either in traffic or in the open.

I've always liked the scruffy socks down guernsey out types. Usually tough honest footballers.

The one thing about that collection of highlights is he makes the right decision every time he gets the ball. Sure they are highlights but I've seen plenty of highlights videos with lots of ordinary decisions or thoughtless disposals. He's thought through every one of those moments either in traffic or in the open.

gary mcintosh springs to mind

Inside Football's profile - dob 29/2/97 Ht 189 Wt 77
"Cameron is George's (Sydney list) younger brother and he started the season really well mixing school footy and time with us as well as state games. But he fractured his wrist in July and didnt play footy after that. Probably a little taller and quicker than George, but maybe not quite as skilled. Earlier in the year he did a 14 plus beep test, so running capacity is good and he can win the ball as a forward. Reads the play well and takes a good mark." North Adelaide Football Development manager Neil Sanders.

I really like how Hewett, despite being classed as raw, put up elite numbers across the U18 Champs. He averaged 20 disposals and 4.5 clearances per game. To put that into perspective Darcy Parish averaged 22 disposals and 4 clearances.

Sounds like a good rookie pick to me.

I really like how Hewett, despite being classed as raw, put up elite numbers across the U18 Champs. He averaged 20 disposals and 4.5 clearances per game. To put that into perspective Darcy Parish averaged 22 disposals and 4 clearances.

Sounds like a good rookie pick to me.

I think your stats are a touch off. Hewett played 2 games and averaged 16.5 touches and 4 clearances.

I think your stats are a touch off. Hewett played 2 games and averaged 16.5 touches and 4 clearances.

Courtesy of The Age:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/tradin...arvester-the-midfielders-20151008-gk456y.html
Cameron Hewett (26/2/1997. 189cm, 76kg. SA North Adelaide)

Medium defender/midfielder

AFL biography: Very clever defender/midfielder with good football smarts and game sense. Rarely loses his feet in the contest and also spreads hard to create opportunities for his teammates. Excels at the stoppages where he uses his body to ensure he gets first opportunity to extract the ball. Played two games for South Australia at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 19 disposals and 4.5 clearances. Brother of Sydney's George Hewett.

"Cameron is very similar to his brother in that he can play midfield, play back, play forward and get hold of the ball really well. He can struggle a bit on the execution of his kick - that would be his weak point - but he can find the footy and he can do it really well."

Brenton Phillips, SA talent manager.

First game against WA he only had 45% time on ground (12 disposals, 3 clearances). Second game against Vic Metro he had 67% TOG (21 disposals, 5 clearances). The numbers you have are correct. I think if he had the same TOG as Parish for example, his numbers could have been in that region.

I also think his handballs are really on target, in the highlights package the reciever hardly breaks speed in most of the clips.

A savvy selection that could work out very well for Port. Was easily the best on ground for his side in the SA U18s internal trial in February. Played some reserves trials for North and was influential at that level. Can win it inside, spread and receive on the outside. Has excellent lateral movement and despite being lanky, can power through tackles and dispose under pressure. Can kick on both feet comfortably and has adequate accuracy despite a slightly unusual action.

Looks to be a big-bodied inside midfielder but has proven he can play forward, often playing out of the square at school football for PAC. Can play behind the ball if needed. Broke his scaphoid bone (low hand) and played a good portion of the early season with it before succumbing to the injury post-nationals. Wasn't given a fair run by the SA U18s team in my opinion and in the two games he played, only spent a fraction over 50-60% time on ground. Along with this injury and some of his testing, this would have seen his draft stock drop.

Still a little immature, will need to put on some size but has good instincts inside, clean hands at ground level and touch by hand and foot. Has a good reach and can take a mark overhead.

Nice pick!
He seems to play brave footy.

Cam Hewett gets #44 from Tommy Logan

DSC01073_620_620X370.jpg

Looks a good fit to me, Hewett has that tough as old boot leather traditional footballer look about him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just blowing the dust off this thread... If im going to be spruiking my buddy Cam Hewett this season then its best I take the time to get to know him!

Last edited:
I dont get this, he didn't look up to it at sanfl level

On SM-G935F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Did you watch him last year? Our rookies were outstanding. All were solid SANFL contributors towards the end of the season, and they were a major reason in the Magpies coming from the clouds to nearly make the finals. If Houston, Hewett and our young ND rookies all play well again next year then SANFL flag here we come.

Did you watch him last year? Our rookies were outstanding. All were solid SANFL contributors towards the end of the season, and they were a major reason in the Magpies coming from the clouds to nearly make the finals. If Houston, Hewett and our young ND rookies all play well again next year then SANFL flag here we come.
Graham of Glenelg hates your post.

personally thought he was one of the stars of the preseason photo threads. looks to have really put a few through the core in a month or two, great result for an inside mid.

Last edited:
Any of you posters ^ on here to escape the Impey thread, circular argument blah blah. I am.
Now Mr Hewett. Was forever mixing him up with Houston but agree with above posts. Seems to fly under the radar
but as the year went on he improved. Like how we're loading up on players in the high 180 to mid 190 range.
Getting more than tired of seeing so many other teams run out at AO and me thinking "geesh they're bigger than us".

I was saying for most of the season he didn't look SANFL standard but then the tail end he improved massively.

If he can transform that end of season form into a whole season that would help the inexperienced Maggies defence a lot.

I was saying for most of the season he didn't look SANFL standard but then the tail end he improved massively.

If he can transform that end of season form into a whole season that would help the inexperienced Maggies defence a lot.

Do you see him behind the ball all of this season or more midfield minutes.

Do you see him behind the ball all of this season or more midfield minutes.
Back pocket similar to Jonas but won't play on any talls, Mostly medium sized players.

The midfield is stacked with Summo, Sam Gray, Snelling, Atley, Powell-Pepper, Drew, Arch, Toumpas all possibly going through there.

Expect Palmer will stay forward a fair bit too. Guys like Sharrad and Biemans if they stick around will find it hard to even get a game now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back