Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah and we got denied. WTF.

Can you elaborate on that? I thought we were allowed to pick them up as Cat B rookies if they weren't picked up in the rookie drafts. A lot on this board were saying that Daniel Cox and Francis Watson would be likely.

Can you elaborate on that? I thought we were allowed to pick them up as Cat B rookies if they weren't picked up in the rookie drafts. A lot on this board were saying that Daniel Cox and Francis Watson would be likely.
Just went back to the original article, which says:

The club will need to lodge relevant paperwork immediately after the rookie draft on November 28 to secure the multicultural or indigenous talent.

If the relevant club does not choose to take the player as a category B rookie, or if they are an AFL nomination and are not selected in the rookie or national drafts, then any club can list the player as a category B pick.

However, the player has to give his consent before it is confirmed in that case.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-05/tigers-eyeing-off-kayle-kirby-as-a-category-b-rookie

EDIT: however there's no mention of Watson here: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-...ins-power-as-clubs-confirm-category-b-rookies

Just went back to the original article, which says:

The club will need to lodge relevant paperwork immediately after the rookie draft on November 28 to secure the multicultural or indigenous talent.

If the relevant club does not choose to take the player as a category B rookie, or if they are an AFL nomination and are not selected in the rookie or national drafts, then any club can list the player as a category B pick.

However, the player has to give his consent before it is confirmed in that case.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-05/tigers-eyeing-off-kayle-kirby-as-a-category-b-rookie

So I'm assuming we've just decided against them then? Which to me is a tad sad and confusing. I heard we were big on Watson earlier in the year.

So I'm assuming we've just decided against them then? Which to me is a tad sad and confusing. I heard we were big on Watson earlier in the year.
Unless we're putting in the paperwork today then no. And I agree that it's a bit odd given our interest in him.

Afl b rookie

AFL nominations
Mading Atem (Multicultural),
 James El Moussalli (Multicultural), Kenny Ong (Multicultural),
 Jai Rout (Indigenous),
 Darren Allen (Indigenous),
 Jamaine Jones (Indigenous),
 Thomas Jok (Multicultural),
Goy Lok (Multicultural),
 Francis Watson (Indigenous)

Afl b rookie

AFL nominations
Mading Atem (Multicultural),
 James El Moussalli (Multicultural), Kenny Ong (Multicultural),
 Jai Rout (Indigenous),
 Darren Allen (Indigenous),
 Jamaine Jones (Indigenous),
 Thomas Jok (Multicultural),
Goy Lok (Multicultural),
 Francis Watson (Indigenous)

So possibly we did pick him up? Nice!

So possibly we did pick him up? Nice!
I think that's just the list of potential people that can be picked up beyond what the clubs nominated (which the AFL allowed). I think Jamaine Jones went in the main rookie draft

I seem to remember things saying the club was deciding on whether they'd take Watson. The interest probably comes from possible category B rookie eligibility (which was turned down). Given the amount of defenders we took in this period we may just have decided not to list him. I think it's simply the case the club rates Nyhuis, Ryan and Dunam as better prospects therefore his chances of making it here are slim.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I seem to remember things saying the club was deciding on whether they'd take Watson. The interest probably comes from possible category B rookie eligibility (which was turned down). Given the amount of defenders we took in this period we may just have decided not to list him. I think it's simply the case the club rates Nyhuis, Ryan and Dunam as better prospects therefore his chances of making it here are slim.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
The more lotto tickets you buy the more chance you have have of winning the big 1. Would be nice to give him a run at peel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if you watched much of Peel last season mightymouse75, but I think the knock on his kicking is overstated. He is quite a handy long kick, but I think he was being pushed to get better at pinpointing shorter passes. He did struggle, but I thought towards the end of the year he was getting much better.

Has a great work ethic and I reckon he will come good.
No I didn't. I get all my biased views from bigfooty. Lol

No I didn't. I get all my biased views from bigfooty. Lol
Yeah, as most of us do :)

It's actually an eye opener to go to the Peel games and watch some of these guys in action. That's why some of us get attached to Brady, DeLuca, Ubergang, Nyhuis and others, because we see them regularly playing good footy at Peel. I think, quite apart from the new guys we picked up, we have some nice depth developing amongst these lesser lights.

Nah I wasn't being sarcastic :$ (but thanks for the support UFO Tatsu)

Was responding to comments inferring the beep test was more about agility rather than endurance. Which seems odd, because it's always the yard stick of 'gut runners' and from the little I've seen of Liam Ryan, he has agility in spades. So it didn't add up. And I'll happily acknowledge all the sports subsequently listed require repeat sprints, so i'll just go back into my box!

We passed on Watson, seems like only the Eagles and Port took cat B rookies in the end
The whole Next Generation cat B thing is incredibly confusing. The final list lodgement deadline is tomorrow (2pm AEST) so perhaps clubs can still add cat Bs until then? Clubs can generally add cat Bs at anytime but not sure if that includes Next Gen ones. Seems strange that clubs wouldn't take the opportunity to add talent they have previously requested. The whole thing seems to have been fairly poorly communicated both internally and externally by the AFL.

West coast have just listed Watson as a Cat B rookie

I can only assume you guys weren't interested or he preferred west coast for whatever reason

Does seem a bit odd
Think we passed on him as we stated yesterday we were only taking 4 more on the list, then after the draft we had shut up shop.

Either way it doesn't really matter, he is yours now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back