Roast Rory Atkins is...

Remove this Banner Ad

not the worst outside midfielder on our list. That distinction goes to Mackay which is an even bigger selection disgrace.

Should be traded, as his type has no business being on a side that isn't a premiership contender seeing he's all icing and no cake (and having a player like Atkins who in a good side can be a game threatening player in your last 5 list spots has much more value then the drawbacks for his negatives), but he's more of a convenient punching bag seeing he is well, what a pure outside midfielder tends to be in both the good, and bad departments.

Unfortunately, for that type to be good, other parts of the side need to be good first. Otherwise, they're practically useless.

Last edited:
He's too inconsistent to demand a permanent spot in our best 22. He has had some very good efforts in important games but those efforts surrounded by plenty of soft, uninterested efforts. If he found a way to consistently perform at, or near to, his best then he'd warrant his selection.

Atkins has his limitations and like most outside players, is heavily dependent on inside players to get him the ball. He does some brain fade things and gets caught too often. But seriously, his whipping boy status on here is ridiculous. He has a good game and everyone ignores him, he has a bad game and he is hammered, he has a middling game and everyone ignores the good stuff he does and picks on the bad stuff.

See the comparison to Isaac Smith, another outside mid/winger

I agree, he probably needs a spell in the SANFL but "the worst player to ever play for AFC" and "he must be delisted , no matter what" is just stupidity. But hey, when was the Adelaide bigfooty board known for balanced, well thought out views

I have female who comes and watches games with me, brother who played AFL and is really footy savvy.
A few weeks ago she pointed at Atkins and asked who's he, says he shouldn't be playing he's scared of getting hurt. Was really interesting how she picked him out of the pack, outsiders opinion.

not the worst outside midfielder on our list. That distinction goes to Mackay which is an even bigger selection disgrace.

Should be traded, as his type has no business being on a side that isn't a premiership contender seeing he's all icing and no cake (and having a player like Atkins who in a good side can be a game threatening player in your last 5 list spots has much more value then the drawbacks for his negatives), but he's more of a convenient punching bag seeing he is well, what a pure outside midfielder tends to be in both the good, and bad departments.

Unfortunately, for that type to be good, other parts of the side need to be good first. Otherwise, they're practically useless.

This Atkins and Mackay player comparison that keeps on popping up is really the ultimate Sophie’s choice isn’t it

I have female who comes and watches games with me, brother who played AFL and is really footy savvy.
A few weeks ago she pointed at Atkins and asked who's he, says he shouldn't be playing he's scared of getting hurt. Was really interesting how she picked him out of the pack, outsiders opinion.
Dam good observation.

We got him with a pick in the 80s. The talk was his attitude and professionalism not quite there to go higher or even be drafted at all. Maybe what the recruiters saw was this fear of the contest. It we took a punt in him. Trying to get a naturally skilled player so late after losing the picks thanks to Trigg.

The raw skill and creativity is there with him. But as your friend describes maybe he is too worried about self preservation in a contest.

Any chance there is physical contact or real game pressure he falls apart. Fumbles makes or disposed poorly.

Out in the open he is generally good and clean.

The definition of a downhill skier.

Has to be an mental thing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

This Atkins and Mackay player comparison that keeps on popping up is really the ultimate Sophie’s choice isn’t it
Mackay is not scared of the contest. He is just built like a 14 year old boy and lacks natural creativity.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Atkins has his limitations and like most outside players, is heavily dependent on inside players to get him the ball. He does some brain fade things and gets caught too often. But seriously, his whipping boy status on here is ridiculous. He has a good game and everyone ignores him, he has a bad game and he is hammered, he has a middling game and everyone ignores the good stuff he does and picks on the bad stuff.

See the comparison to Isaac Smith, another outside mid/winger

I agree, he probably needs a spell in the SANFL but "the worst player to ever play for AFC" and "he must be delisted , no matter what" is just stupidity. But hey, when was the Adelaide bigfooty board known for balanced, well thought out views

Why does he 'need a spell in the SANFL' , and what would that achieve in making him a better player ?

He is an outside player, so when our inside midfielders don't dominate he doesn't play well. Mind you we did in the 3 quarter and I didn't notice him....so trade-able if we can get a mid 2nd rounder for him.
How far outside can we make him? I don’t blame him for our woes, but under pressure he is hit and miss without the hit.

I am always nervous when he has the ball and I not sure he has the speed to truly be an outside player. He is probably a victim of our fractured game plan more than anything

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What does that achieve for any player who is dropped? They can work on form and the weakness in their game. What's the alternative, delist every player who's out of form?

No. Delist ? ? There are some players who are elevated into the best 22 with obvious 'weaknesses' to their games and after 2,3, 5 years they have to be relegated to work on attributes that they have never possessed always puzles me.

I’ll never believe that there are any viable standards or saving graces at this football club when this player can toss up performances like last week and keep his spot

Gets caught holding the ball too often. My dislike of him dates back to the '17 GF when Tex won a free, Atkins played on and got caught HTB! If only he would dispose immediately he would be far more valuable to the team

I’ll never believe that there are any viable standards or saving graces at this football club when this player can toss up performances like last week and keep his spot

Pyke - 'So we've lost a few games'................

Rory Atkins is.......

A kid who is probably trying his best, and a better footy player than anyone on here I'd wager.

You guys talk about the dysfunction of the club a lot lately, and how the young players can't/won't succeed given the situation that they're currently in, and then talk about them like this when they are struggling?
Obviously no-one here will listen to me, but still, I'd suggest leaving this stuff to the opposition supporters. Trust me, as a Carlton flog and Bay denizen I know that there'll be plenty of other teams doing this for you.
You might not rate him personally, but he's still on your team.
Holding players accountable is one thing, straight up savaging them is another entirely.

I bet none of you would have the balls to say any of this to his face one on one either. Who's the real coward here?

I hope you folks here whom I have enjoyed my posts here on your board can accept this post for what it's worth, but I agree with my Carlton comrade Itchy regarding this thread and the singling out of Rory Atkins for some pretty mindless abuse at worse and misdirected scapegoating (at best)

I know many of you have commentating on how damaging that crazy boot commando camp Don Pyke ran in the 2018 pre-season had the potential to mentally damage/scar the players involved in what appears now to be an ordeal for them.

Is this thread any different, especially if Rory himself or his family members read this thread ?

Would you like a similar thread posted about yourself about your work performance posted on a blog read by thousands of people ?

You guys for the most part seem like decent people and footy fans, and you are a lot better than serving up this dross, which does have the potential to be very and emotionally damaging.

Just remember the tragic case of Charlotte Dawson who committed suicide after battling depression and toxic twitter trolls for a long time.

Please shut this thread down..

There are much healthier and productive ways of being critical of players without resorting to lazy and incorrect slurs like cowardly or useless etc.

Gets caught holding the ball too often. My dislike of him dates back to the '17 GF when Tex won a free, Atkins played on and got caught HTB! If only he would dispose immediately he would be far more valuable to the team
Does not even try and dispose of it once tackled ... it is quite a unique thing to watch .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back