Recommitted Rory Sloane

Remove this Banner Ad

As I said, you're naive.

This guy has been in the AFL system for a decade, he will be looking for what is best for Rory
Sloane, not "who is going to offer something better than the team I supported when I was a kid".

I didn’t say that he was going to his child hood team. The opposite I said in this case he wasn’t. By your description what is best for Rory would be the best offer on the table. Great. That’s the one I want him to take too.

It’s this idea that Hawthorn are such a destination club that he is going to ignore $500k+ over going to a similarly or better placed Melbourne club that I disagree with. Argue that point.

Anyway let’s see. I think Hawthorn or Collingwood makes sense given both should have some TPP freeing up.

I didn’t say that he was going to his child hood team. The opposite I said in this case he wasn’t. By your description what is best for Rory would be the best offer on the table. Great. That’s the one I want him to take too.

It’s this idea that Hawthorn are such a destination club that he is going to ignore $500k+ over going to a similarly or better placed Melbourne club that I disagree with. Argue that point.

Anyway let’s see. I think Hawthorn or Collingwood makes sense given both should have some TPP freeing up.

I don’t see how Collingwood can afford both Tom Lynch (Gold Coast) and Sloane. Plus Collingwood already has a very deep midfield.

I don’t see how Collingwood can afford both Tom Lynch (Gold Coast) and Sloane. Plus Collingwood already has a very deep midfield.

No. Probably not. But if Lynch doesn’t end up at the Pies then it becomes very likely that Sloane goes there.

Still I think as the FA period drags on there will be multiple suitors for Sloane. Don’t believe your mate that Hawthorn are so attractive that all other clubs will stand no chance.

You're very naive.

Players don't just want to play in Melbourne and anywhere within the city. Especially not ones looking to play out their career and get some success.

"It only takes one of these clubs to be able to find enough in their TPP to push his contract into band 1 compo territory." No, it takes Sloane wanting to play there.

Sloane will have a club in mind, his manger will have a club in mind. It will be a club that he feels strongly about joining, a club that he thinks can get the best out of him, a club that he believes will give him great reward for effort during his contract.

The idea that he'd be open to any number of clubs and just land at one of them and just be happy to run out each week is fantasy land stuff.
Agree with what you say mostly but the question would be which club and why ?

You would think he would want success and would take slightly less to play in a club thats top 2 or even top 4 and he would have a very very good idea of which clubs he would see himself fitting into to have success whilst at the same time getting compensated well.

The question would be say its between 2 clubs in Hawks & Saints and i can only comment on how i see the 2 clubs and taking into consideration that he was a st kilda supporter i dont believe that dream totally leaves you at anytime , I spoke with Fev and asked him the same question who did you support growing up and he said stkilda and what about now and it was Carlton but he said Saints are still my 2nd team and said it was 60/40 carlton.

If Saints are paying me $900k and Hawks are at $600k im going to Saints, If there is say $100k difference then its which team i think has a chance to win

FWIW.....I dont think Sloane is worth more than 700K......not at his age.
I heard somewhere that he wanted a 5 year contract which would see him out 34 years old.
Even if it is a 4 year deal.....is he still worth 700K in 4 or even 5 years time......possibly not.
So 4 years at 2.8mil or 5 at 3.5mil.......suggest that is it borderline band 1/band 2 compo......??
The length of the contract might tip it over to band 1....?

'Free hit' is misleading - as with Dangerfield, if Sloane wants to go to the Hawks either you pay him huge overs such that we can't match, or you stick to your wage structure and offer him a salary we can match, triggering a trade.

He'll either cost you picks or $$$, either way it will impact your ability to bring in other players.

Ah, it’s a free hit, but a hit to the salary cap.

There will be no trade, he’s a free agent. You match, and he stays against his will. We ain’t trading.

What we can do, is pay him high enough so that you get band 1 compo and allow McGovern to move across also at a decent trade value.

Either way, it’s already done. He knows where he wants to go, and would have the exact contract ready to go to put pen to paper.

Plus, you’re talking Graham Wright here. The best in the business. He gets it done every ferken time.

No, he’ll take the offer that he likes the most, which will relate to all sorts of factors, not just $$$.

I never mentioned Hawthorn, I just find the whole “he’ll look after us and play at anyM club that gives him and by extension the Crows the best deal” a fantasy.

Not fussed if Hawthorn get him or not, but I think it makes little sense for Collingwood to chase him.

I never mentioned Hawthorn, I just find the whole “he’ll look after us and play at anyM club that gives him and by extension the Crows the best deal” a fantasy.

I reckon his bond with the club is such that he wouldn't want to see them screwed out of adequate compo, but I also reckon the best deal the Crows will get is a compo pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon he is Hawks bound.

Good get by them if they grab him via FA and are not forced to trade their 1st rounder.

They slot him into the midfield and draft his replacement in three years with their 1st pick.
They would have to have a suitably large offer that the crows won't match, otherwise it will cost them there first rounder.

They would have to have a suitably large offer that the crows won't match, otherwise it will cost them there first rounder.
We have cap space that is expendable, our first rounder isn't. Bringing in a player of his age for our future is not an option at the moment with our list demographic. Fairly confident the club would be thinking the same and not considering using our first on him.

No, he’ll take the offer that he likes the most, which will relate to all sorts of factors, not just $$$.

Not fussed if Hawthorn get him or not, but I think it makes little sense for Collingwood to chase him.

The Pies will need a replacement for Wells in the rehab room.

I reckon his bond with the club is such that he wouldn't want to see them screwed out of adequate compo, but I also reckon the best deal the Crows will get is a compo pick.

Spot on. The best deal we can get is a compo pick and he is highly unlikely to do a deal where we get screwed on compo. As dirty as we were about him leaving, Danger didnt either. As much as its hard for me to admit, Danger did the right thing by us and so did Geelong. At the time, the deal we got was the best we could get as we finished above Geelong. Sloane loves our club and everyone loves him. We understand why he is leaving. We wont be treating him badly and a deal will get done, even if its worse than band 1 compensation. It really comes down to what options present themselves for him.

Its just a rumour that Gov wants to leave, but if he did leave he is contracted and he hasn't served the club yet like Danger and Sloane did. I expect that we would play hard ball with any player to leave under those circumstances. All clubs in the AFL would. We will need to get significant overs for him. We got Melbourne's two firsts for Lever and he was uncontracted. As fans, and clearly as a club, we rated Gov as more important than Lever and he was the one that we wanted to keep. This is not revisionist either, most fans prioritized Gov over Lever on our board throughout last season. Its hard to believe the rumour about Gov, especially given primary source seems to be McClure, so hopefully we keep Gov and extend him before his contract runs out in 2020.

Its just a rumour that Gov wants to leave, but if he did leave he is contracted and he hasn't served the club yet like Danger and Sloane did. I expect that we would play hard ball with any player to leave under those circumstances. All clubs in the AFL would. We will need to get significant overs for him. We got Melbourne's two firsts for Lever and he was uncontracted. As fans, and clearly as a club, we rated Gov as more important than Lever and he was the one that we wanted to keep. This is not revisionist either, most fans prioritized Gov over Lever on our board throughout last season. Its hard to believe the rumour about Gov, especially given primary source seems to be McClure, so hopefully we keep Gov and extend him before his contract runs out in 2020.

Mate, I have no horse in this race so please don't think this is a North issue. There is credible info that he will leave if it can be done. Credible enough for me to believe it without question.

We have cap space that is expendable, our first rounder isn't. Bringing in a player of his age for our future is not an option at the moment with our list demographic. Fairly confident the club would be thinking the same and not considering using our first on him.

It was surprising to hear AC even raise a question on his future. Do you need to keep him interested? If Hawthorn are going to continue to try and win flags in the short term, and keep AC in the long term, then Sloane is exactly what you need next season. I would assume that Shaun Burgoyne is retiring. Will Rioli still be there? You seem a long way off Richmond, its not going to happen organically in the short term. Sloane would come straight into your midfield for the next 3-4 years. If you make a contract offer that the Crows dont match, you keep your draft picks, and therefore he doesnt cost you your future. If you screw around at $700k, an offer that we are likely to match, then you would end up paying up draft picks. Its really not rocket science. We are talking about finding an extra $600k over 4 years. That is out of $48m.

Mate, I have no horse in this race so please don't think this is a North issue. There is credible info that he will leave if it can be done. Credible enough for me to believe it without question.

That is why I am even discussing it. Unfortunately. I am clutching the straw that says, it was McClure who broke it, therefore there is every chance its rubbish. Wrong thread I know, but his name was raised in an earlier post to me. You mentioned, if it can be done. I dont see it being done. As I mentioned, we rated Gov as more valuable than Lever. He is now contracted as well. The deal would have to be significantly better than what we got for Lever, which was 2 firsts for a team that finished outside the 8 at the time. By the sounds of it, only the Adelaide Crows and Mitch McGovern himself rate him this highly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back