Ross Lyon still one of the best in the business

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure, but you can't have it both ways. Yes, he took the cash and that is fair enough but he did it at the expense of rounding out his CV by proving that he can oversee a rebuild. Again, fair enough but he (you!) cannot claim he has this ability until he actually does it. And until then, or until he builds a Clarkson like record of winning flags, he is just another AFL coach.

Yep Malthouse is a superior coach because Lenny Hayes kick was wobbly. You can throw a blanket over them all.

Multiple premierships at multiple clubs over a 20 year span in the game. As opposed to Ross Lyon who has nothing.

That is why Malthouse is a great coach and as of today, Ross Lyon is not.

Exactly, although the 'state team' concept is a myth which has been refuted elsewhere on bigfooty.
3 losing grand finals are in effect one win from being the best team in the competition each year.
I can't name any other 'average' coaches who so frequently make grand finals.

With those two lists you would want to make multiple GF's.

He wasn't exactly coaching GWS in their first year.

Multiple premierships at multiple clubs over a 20 year span in the game. As opposed to Ross Lyon who has nothing.

That is why Malthouse is a great coach and as of today, Ross Lyon is not.

The 5 best coaches in your opinion are obviously Clarkson, Malthouse, Scott, Longmire and...?
Considering they're the only 4 coaches who have something on their CV as you put it, only they can be above average.

Hinkley has to reach a grand final this year in his 3rd year to equal Lyon reaching a grand final in his third year. Who else is better?

I am not one of them. Pavlich, Sandilands, Fyfe, Mundy, Hill, McPharlin, Walters, Ballantyne, Johnson, etc.......an absolutely premium list that has underachieved because of a one-dimensional coach.

Who do you think developed Walters into the quality player he is?

He was closer to being delisted than he was to being a star before Lyon arrived.

i'm confused on the box hill statement. are you saying box hill is a stronger side or the competition they are up against is stronger?
The quality of the team. It's a sore point for us ATM trying to get Peel to operate as a team while also working with a similar gameplan. It's a work in progress but Peel are getting thumped fairly often. So the step up from Peel to Freo is currently a big step. Hopefully we are heading in the right direction so we can make the transition a little easier on new blood

The 5 best coaches in your opinion are obviously Clarkson, Clarkson, Clarkson, Clarkson and Clarkson.

Fixed that for you.

Despite all their success, some Hawthorn fans are terribly insecure when it comes to anyone not wearing brown and gold receiving any praise.

Mick Malthouse developed not one, but two football lists from virtually scratch and won GF's with two clubs.

Ross Lyon has developed nothing with nobody and won bugger all. He is not fit to wipe Mick Malthouse's arse.
This surely has to be a joke, Malthouse walked into one of the most ready made lists in the history of football at West Coast.

Who do you think developed Walters into the quality player he is?

He was closer to being delisted than he was to being a star before Lyon arrived.
Not only that, but the list wasn't considered to be that great at the time either. Not may would have thought they were in a premiership window. Feel had never even made consecutive finals.

As Defacto noted, there were extenuating circumstances for why he jumped ship.
I personally believe that securing your families financial circumstances are more important than some misguided notion of loyalty to a club that would shaft him if he started underperforming.
Would you rather stay and attempt a rebuild knowing that you could find yourself out a job and in debt?

lets just say he likes a punt on speculative shares or so he says. could just be the punt. who knows.

either way him being so god damn reckless during our biggest tilt at a flag is extremely unprofessional

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The quality of the team. It's a sore point for us ATM trying to get Peel to operate as a team while also working with a similar gameplan. It's a work in progress but Peel are getting thumped fairly often. So the step up from Peel to Freo is currently a big step. Hopefully we are heading in the right direction so we can make the transition a little easier on new blood

i see its a valid point but its a double edged sword. if theyre all performing well, it makes it hard to promote them to AFL and therefore adequately develop them and retain all of them

its why hawthorn lost all those fringe players last trade period and the one before that. its how we got savage for basically peanuts

oh the irony, you say i dont know freo or their list, yet you mention mzugnu, who didnt play the week before... he played this weekend. you think ross will play someone twice within 24 hours?

good teams find ways of fitting the kids in ala hawthorn. you can restructure. for instance nick suban could have been left out

Mzungu played WAFL because he wasn't selected in the 22,nothing to do with playing twice in 24 hours.You sure know how to grasp at straws. Your'e right about good teams fitting in youngsters and Freo being the good team that they are managed to play young players in Sheridan,Neale,Sutcliffe.

lets just say he likes a punt on speculative shares or so he says. could just be the punt. who knows.

either way him being so god damn reckless during our biggest tilt at a flag is extremely unprofessional
I completely understand your sentiment about the recklessness.
But if those two grand finals had turned into victories would you still be expressing the same anger?
Sometimes all or nothing is required. Maybe Western Bulldogs supporters will feel the same about the Boyd trade if it goes pear-shaped.

i see its a valid point but its a double edged sword. if theyre all performing well, it makes it hard to promote them to AFL and therefore adequately develop them and retain all of them

its why hawthorn lost all those fringe players last trade period and the one before that. its how we got savage for basically peanuts
For sure. It's a tricky balance. All I'm saying is that there is alot of nuance that get lost when comparing the development methods of clubs.

I'm sure Ross is aware of how he is considered when it comes to development as the timing of his departure was so brutal. He mentions it in interviews heaps that he is hands off with list management.
This doesn't mean he doesn't have a significant role in blooding kids but it does mean that drawing parallels to his time at the Saints, while fun, is not as clear as some may think.

oh the irony, you say i dont know freo or their list, yet you mention mzugnu, who didnt play the week before... he played this weekend. you think ross will play someone twice within 24 hours?

good teams find ways of fitting the kids in ala hawthorn. you can restructure. for instance nick suban could have been left out

Is this the same Hawthorn that didn't give a game to the JJ Liston winner and took 6 years to debut one player and when he kicked 3 goals on debut they dropped him? It's hard to get a game in top teams which is probably why those 2 players are now at a different club.

I would hate to hear the Lyon hater if he had done something like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back