Game Day Round 1 2014 - Hawthorn v Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought for quarters 1 to 3 (or most of 3 anyway) the real let down was our inefficiency going forward (coupled with Hawthorns efficiency) and that was something most expected anyway. We did pretty well. Quarter 4 was the biggest let down, we just let them get away from us.

Plenty of positives to take out of the game. I'll be looking forward to seeing Aish play against a lower to middle range team, thought he looked pretty good out there today.

A question about Rich. What was his role today and do you think he did a good job? I honestly couldn't tell. From what I could see his role was to generate run from the HB flank and to utilise his kicking skills to provide efficient service to the forwards/mids?

Merrett took a couple of brilliant marks as well. Defence was let down by the mids in the second half.

Why do the umps call play on if you go 1cm off your mark but allow Buddy's ark?

Hodge coming 2m over Browns mark & covering the ball was infuriating. The constant encroachment over the mark, which is oft rewarded with a play on call when the player feigns a handball, or simply looks both ways, seriously devalues marking the ball, and is one of the things I really hate in today's footy. The whole push to speed the game up should not be at the expense of one of the fundamentals of the sport.

Hodge coming 2m over Browns mark & covering the ball was infuriating. The constant encroachment over the mark, which is oft rewarded with a play on call when the player feigns a handball, or simply looks both ways, seriously devalues marking the ball, and is one of the things I really hate in today's footy. The whole push to speed the game up should not be at the expense of one of the fundamentals of the sport.

They did that stuff heaps on the marks slowing us down. Umps need to look into this and give 50s away.

Final margin was slightly larger than it should've been, but overall I'm happy enough with the effort. They're the reigning premiers after all, can't be too disappointed that we couldn't match their intensity all the way

I instinctively thought in that second, that'll be 50.

the umpiring wasnt all that bad, i liked the way they let the play go on when they couldve paid a soft free for in the back or high tackle

Merrett's first game as FB for quite some time.
Which explains why he was so seldom in position. He has forgotten where full back is. He was literally all over the shop today and for a senior player that just smacks of ill discipline. I would have expected him to be standing on Roughhead's toes all day, but there were a number of occasions where Roughhead was one out with one of our smalls and goaled, while Merret was 20 - 30 metres away. In the telecast there was one occasion where you could see Merret in the background of the shot, just on our defensive 50, while Roughhead outbodied Harwood or Redden to score a goal.

Weak.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back