Prediction Round 1 2021 best 22 team

Remove this Banner Ad

With the way Brisbane line up would McKay play forward as the anchor? We have enough tall defenders.

Also question whether he uses Walker given he was moved on from Brisbane.

McKay definitely stays back for mine.

He's just getting settled in to take over from Tarrant, let's not stuff around with him imo.

Peeps I don't think we have a best team currently and that is not a bad thing.

And those naming Josh Walker personally I'd be disappointed if he plays a lot next season. The archetypal shitmen, journey men I meant obviously.
We'll rotate a few through and if Comben is fit I can't see why we wouldn't play him of course not every week.

McKay definitely stays back for mine.

He's just getting settled in to take over from Tarrant, let's not stuff around with him imo.

Yeah I think that's the play but I will say it wouldn't surprise me watching how Brisbane use players like mcinerney

Going to be very interesting to see what they go with Rd1, especially if we have a fit squad. Do we continue to prioritise kids over senior players? Do we just select best available?

IMO there are a few senior players that will potentially get in the way of playing all the kids (excluding the 2020 draftees) - Turner, Atley, Walker and Garner.

Best 22 with these 4:

FB - Atley - McKay - Tarrant
HB - Young - Corr - Mcdonald
C - Polec - Simpkin - Dumont
FOL - Goldstein - LDU - Cunnington
HF - Stephenson - Walker - Garner
FF - Thomas - Larkey - Ziebell

IC - Turner - Taylor - Anderson - Zurhaar

Best 22 without these 4:

FB - Perez - McKay - Tarrant
HB - Young - Corr - Mcdonald
C - Polec - Simpkin - Dumont
FOL - Goldstein - LDU - Cunnington
HF - Stephenson - Larkey - Taylor
FF - Thomas - Ziebell - Zurhaar

IC - Scott - Anderson - Phillips - Hayden/Atu/Bonar/Mahoney

Now obviously there is going to be injuries & likely a blend of these two 22’s, but there are going to be some headaches at the selection table. I personally hope we look more like the “without” side in the interest of 2-3 years time. I’m really excited about how much competition there is for spots. It’s going to be very interesting to see which way they go...

Last edited:
Couple things I've been told:
  • At this early stage, the first choice starting midfield for 2021: Cunnington, Simpkin, LDU
  • Big focus on handballing in congestion for the midfield. Expect this to be a big change to how we play.
  • Comparing when Noble took over Brisbane, North are miles ahead in every sense.
  • Noble gives the players/coaches a lot of freedom to add their own flavor.

• At this early stage, the first choice starting midfield for 2021: Cunnington, Simpkin, LDU
  • Big focus on handballing in congestion for the midfield. Expect this to be a big change to how we play.
  • Comparing when Noble took over Brisbane, North are miles ahead in every sense.
I like this a lot.
Totally agree that the club isn't in as rough shape as others believe.

I like the handballing in the midfield more part. I always felt it was an under-utilised strength in contested situations. It will also help our burst and outside players more.

I like the cut of this guys swag👍

Will Phillips will wear Brent Harvey’s old No. 29 at the Kangaroos. Picture: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images)
Will Phillips will wear Brent Harvey’s old No. 29 at the Kangaroos. Picture: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images)
NORTH MELBOURNE

B: Josh Walker, Ben McKay, Aidan Corr

HB: Luke McDonald, Robbie Tarrant, Shaun Atley

C: Jared Polec, Ben Cunnington, Jed Anderson

HF: Luke Davies-Uniacke, Cam Zurhaar, Tarryn Thomas

F: Jaidyn Stephenson, Nick Larkey, Jack Ziebell

FOLL: Todd Goldstein, Trent Dumont, Jy Simpkin

I/C: Lachie Young, Will Phillips, Bailey Scott, Curtis Taylor

In: Aidan Corr, Lachie Young, Jaidyn Stephenson, Atu Bosenavulagi, Will Phillips, Tom Powell, Charlie Lazzaro, Phoenix Spicer, Eddie Ford, Patrick Walker, Connor Menadue

Out: Jamie Macmillan, Majak Daw, Jasper Pittard, Ben Jacobs, Paul Ahern, Mason Wood, Sam Durdin, Marley Williams, Joel Crocker, Lachie Hosie, Tom Murphy, Shaun Higgins, Ben Brown

We say: North picked up the best pure midfielder in the draft in Will Phillips — and he’ll be ready for, not only Round 1, but the entire season barring any unforeseen circumstances. Phillips will bring class, toughness and an ability to hit the scoreboard to the Roos. Like Matthew Rowell last year, Phillips could have a significant impact early, although probably not the same impact as Rowell. Aidan Corr slots straight into defence and Lachie Young is a contender to join him, while Jaidyn Stephenson steps into a pretty exciting young forward line. Polec is too good not to get a game in this side, even with his issues in 2020. Walker keeps his spot for now but in an ideal world younger guys like Tristan Xerri and Charlie Comben are pushing him out. Connor Menadue, Flynn Perez, Aiden Bonar and Jack Mahony are in the mix as well – it depends on how young new coach David Noble wants this side to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NORTH MELBOURNE

C: Jared Polec, Ben Cunnington, Jed Anderson

HF: Luke Davies-Uniacke, Cam Zurhaar, Tarryn Thomas

F: Jaidyn Stephenson, Nick Larkey, Jack Ziebell

FOLL: Todd Goldstein, Trent Dumont, Jy Simpkin

Clearly only watched one game this year. Jed is an inside mid, Dumont plays wing. I guess HFF is part of the midfield rotations.

Alright time to take stock keeping in mind we have pick 2 and 11 who could both slot in also

B: Hayden Tarrant Corr
HB: McDonald Walker Perez
C: Dumont LDU Stephenson
HF: Taylor Comben Ziebell
F: Zurhaar Larkey Thomas
R: Goldy Simpkin Cunners
I: Bonar Jed McKay Garner

emg: Pick 2, Pick 11, Turner, Young, Bailey, Atu, Polec, Atley, Hall, Mahony, Tyson, Xerri, campbell

also pick 30 and pick 39

Walker or Mckay to be swingmen and can rotate forward or back

I’d definitely find room for Polec, and I wouldn’t have thought Comben with zero AFL or VFL games could walk straight in like that.

I reckon Young will play round 1 as well as Phillips.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’d definitely find room for Polec, and I wouldn’t have thought Comben with zero AFL or VFL games could walk straight in like that.

I reckon Young will play round 1 as well as Phillips.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
As long Atley isn’t in the AFL side Perez and Hayden are the future Atley has had his time time to enjoy the VFL with your mate McMillan if he decides to play VFL with us.

I am not picking my side using the traditional line up as I don’t think sides are selected this way any more. I am picking 7 backs 6 forwards 1 ruck & 8 mids.

7 backs Corr, Robbie, Ben Mac, Lmac, Ats, Lwalk, Flynn,

ruck Goldie

6 fwds larks, cam , jack, tarryn, Curtis, Stevo

8 mids Cunners, Jed, Trent, LDU, Jy, Phillips, Polec, Scott,

Jwalk provides the Ruck chop out

All the fwds except Larks get midfield minutres.

I tried to get a small fwd in ( Kayne Atu) but just couldn’t find a spot. Also tried to find a spot for Powell but which mid would miss out.

I reckon Lachie young plays early, maybe even rd1.
Killing it at training and smashing the running/endurance work.
Amazing pickup for the club for basically nothing.

I am not picking my side using the traditional line up as I don’t think sides are selected this way any more. I am picking 7 backs 6 forwards 1 ruck & 8 mids.

7 backs Corr, Robbie, Ben Mac, Lmac, Ats, Lwalk, Flynn,

ruck Goldie

6 fwds larks, cam , jack, tarryn, Curtis, Stevo

8 mids Cunners, Jed, Trent, LDU, Jy, Phillips, Polec, Scott,

Jwalk provides the Ruck chop out

All the fwds except Larks get midfield minutres.

I tried to get a small fwd in ( Kayne Atu) but just couldn’t find a spot. Also tried to find a spot for Powell but which mid would miss out.

Love that you haven’t gone traditional line up.

Going to be interesting to see what happens re small forwards - I think they will want to get games into Atu (if he deserves it). Think he will fit in perfectly to the game style they want to play which is quick, high pressure style.

I reckon Lachie young plays early, maybe even rd1.
Killing it at training and smashing the running/endurance work.
Amazing pickup for the club for basically nothing.
He’s always been a good runner - think it will come down to the prac match form for him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back