MID: Reeves - Worpel - Nash
MID: Day - Newcombe - Ward

HF: Moore - Lewis - Watson
FF: Breust - Chol - Gunston

INT: Ginnivan - Maginness - MacDonald - Mackenzie
SUB: Jiath/Impey
EMG: DGB - Butler - Hustwaite - McCabe

I like this side.

Backline - are there enough genuine defenders? not sure it has the right balance yet.
Fwdline - looks much better. Will take time to gel
Mids - looking good - one more dynamic x factor mid pls.

I like this side.

Backline - are there enough genuine defenders? not sure it has the right balance yet.
Fwdline - looks much better. Will take time to gel
Mids - looking good - one more dynamic x factor mid pls.

Reckon it's looking really solid.

Agree with the backline.

If McKay had signed with us, we'd look a lot better on paper at least.
Sicily moves to Scrimshaws spot, and McKay goes to CHB.
We'll have some big scores kicked on us when the midfield under performs, but I think that's fine for a developing side.

Agree with the backline.

We'll have some big scores kicked on us when the midfield under performs, but I think that's fine for a developing side.
I've got a feeling the days of our midfield under-performing are behind us, and if so they will be rare

FB: Hardwick Blanck Impey
HB: Weddle Sicily Scrimshaw
C: Ward Newcombe Amon
HF; Gunston Lewis Moore
FF: Breust Chol Ginnivan
R: Reeves Day Nash
INT: Mitchell Worpel McDonald Watson
Sub: McKenzie

Great team! Have edited slightly to resemble the Thursday evening team announcement.

FB: Blanck Hardwick Sicily
HB: Day Impey Scrimshaw
C: Ward Amon Weddle
HF: Gunston Ginnivan Moore
FF: Chol Breust Lewis
R: Reeves Worpel Nash
INT: Mitchell Newcombe McDonald Watson
Sub: McKenzie

Still very concerned about the back 6....Weddle, Scrim and Sis being named as key backs, none of whom are, and Blanck, who's played 20-odd games. Looking alarmingly undersized and understrengthed. Badly need to fast-track McCabe's development.
It’s really not that big of a problem, and I feel like the clubs interest in McKay has completely spooked Hawthorn supporters into feeling like we’ve got some grand issue in the back half with key backs, when we do not.

We wanted McKay to come onto the list as a transition or upgrade from Frost according to McCartney, but we’re also comfortable with our back group. Would we like to improve it? Of course, that can be said for every area of the ground, but it doesn’t mean the defense is a major concern.

Just look at how we handled the talls of the Lions, Dogs, Pies and Saints in the back half of the year and you’ll see that we’ve got an improving system. Most of those sides got the better of us, if at all, from goal kicking mids and smalls.

It’s really not that big of a problem, and I feel like the clubs interest in McKay has completely spooked Hawthorn supporters into feeling like we’ve got some grand issue in the back half with key backs, when we do not.

We wanted McKay to come onto the list as a transition or upgrade from Frost according to McCartney, but we’re also comfortable with our back group. Would we like to improve it? Of course, that can be said for every area of the ground, but it doesn’t mean the defense is a major concern.

Just look at how we handled the talls of the Lions, Dogs, Pies and Saints in the back half of the year and you’ll see that we’ve got an improving system. Most of those sides got the better of us, if at all, from goal kicking mids and smalls.
Nothing whatsoever to do with not getting McKay, absolutely everything to do with the fact that we were the most heavily scored-against team in the league last year outside the two basket cases, and the fact that we have one single, solitary decent KPD on our list, who's played 20-odd games and has only been given a one year contract for some reason.

You are deluding yourself if you don't think this is a problem.

Good test first up. I’m not that optimistic though. These are the sort of games we don’t turn up for. If Gunston doesn’t have a good preseason I wouldn’t be picking him on reputation. Thought he was pretty cooked in 2022.

Can't see how scrimshaw doesn't play? No reason actually. Absolute starting 18 .

B: Hardwick Blanck Impey
HB: Amon Sicily Scrimshaw

R: Reeves Day Worpel
C: Weddle Newcombe Ward

HF: Moore Lewis MacDonald
FF: Bruest Chol Ginnivan

Int. chg: Watson Nash McKenzie Jiath
Gunston

Depth :
Denver
Maginness
Meek
Mitchell
McCabe
D'Ambrosio
Wingard
Morrison
Butler

The rest are yet to either prove themselves or haven't played.
P.s. McCabe and Watson , new recruits and all but I think they'll make it.
Team balance is why.

Good test first up. I’m not that optimistic though. These are the sort of games we don’t turn up for. If Gunston doesn’t have a good preseason I wouldn’t be picking him on reputation. Thought he was pretty cooked in 2022.
Unless Gunston is injured he is playing, otherwise there was no reason to take him back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends on the dons lineup of course. But you suspect assuming all available that the back 6, all of those except seamus are locks. I believe impey starts and then CJ is bench or sub. I think we need to ease him back into it not against him starting with box hill for conditioning either. I think seamus is touch and go same with scrimshaw.
Midfield I would move mackenzie to right wing, protect him a bit in year 2 and give him space to use his kicking. Must play nash or Worpel to start can’t have both on the bench.
Forwardline looks set think Chol will play deep with Lewis up the ground. Watson likely starts on the bench can’t have CMac off the ground.
Bench then becomes Nash Watson CJ Butler.
Seamus or Gunston as sub.
Emergencies from Finn, Morrison, scrimshaw, Meek, DGB, ramsden, hustwaite, BMac.
🙏🙏

Nothing whatsoever to do with not getting McKay, absolutely everything to do with the fact that we were the most heavily scored-against team in the league last year outside the two basket cases, and the fact that we have one single, solitary decent KPD on our list, who's played 20-odd games and has only been given a one year contract for some reason.

We simply weren’t the most scored against team by the end of the year at all though.

We were possibly at the start of the when the midfield was still learning to transition, but we certainly weren’t by years end.

Gold Coast, Essendon, Richmond, West Coast and the Roos were all more heavily scored against than us in the last 5 rounds for example, and when you look at opposition scores from inside 50's all of those teams, plus the Dogs, Cats and Lions were worse than Hawthorn in the last 5 rounds of the year.

*only have access to last 5 rounds info, rather than last 8 or 10, at the Wheelo stats site.

Agree with the backline.

Let their tall defenders worry about our tall forwards first

Unless Gunston is injured he is playing, otherwise there was no reason to take him back.
He probably plays but I don’t think his position is locked in if he’s fit.

He needs a big pre season and really to have some form behind him.

He hasn’t been playing well for a while. Would rather see younger players keep him out of the side. Admittedly the younger players form hasn’t been that great either.

From R15 onwards (post our bye) we were 5th worst defence.

Tigers:
4W / 5L
Points for - 80.6
Points against - 97.7

Freo:
4W / 6L
Points for - 78.4
Points against - 78.3

Suns
3W / 7L
Points for - 78.7
Points against - 89.7

Hawks
3W / 7L
Points for - 72.2
Points against - 87.3

North
1W / 8L
Points for - 72.3
Points against - 97.7

WCE
2W / 8L
Points for - 62.2
Points against - 112.6

From pre-bye to post-bye we improved our defence by 7.2 points per game. To be honest I don't know how good that kind of improvement is (compared to other clubs throughout the season), but it was encouraging at least.

Though it goes without saying we need to keep improving our defence, which will hopefully come with natural development. But the lack of KPD's could prove to be a big issue.

We simply weren’t the most scored against team by the end of the year at all though.

We were possibly at the start of the when the midfield was still learning to transition, but we certainly weren’t by years end.

Gold Coast, Essendon, Richmond, West Coast and the Roos were all more heavily scored against than us in the last 5 rounds for example, and when you look at opposition scores from inside 50's all of those teams, plus the Dogs, Cats and Lions were worse than Hawthorn in the last 5 rounds of the year.

*only have access to last 5 rounds info, rather than last 8 or 10, at the Wheelo stats site.
Last 8 rounds of the year (R17-24)

West Coast conceded 837 at an average of 104.5, net gain score of -325, 2W/6L
Essendon conceded 831 at an average of 103.9, net gain score of -288, 3W/5L
North Melbourne conceded 741 at an average of 92.6, net gain score of -193, 1W/7L
Richmond conceded 745 at an average of 93.1, net gain score of -73, 4W/4L
Gold Coast conceded 741 at an average of 92.6, net gain score of -97, 2W/6L
Port Adelaide conceded 695 at an average of 86.9, net gain score of 24, 4W/4L
Collingwood conceded 681 at an average of 85.1, net gain score of 65, 5W/3L
Sydney conceded 664 at an average of 83, net gain score of 65, 6W/2L
Adelaide conceded 660 at an average of 82.5, net gain score of 77, 3W/5L
Hawthorn conceded 660 at an average of 82.5, net gain score of -24, 3W/5L
Fremantle conceded 620 at an average of 77.5, net gain score of -2, 3W/5L
Brisbane conceded 616 at an average of 77, net gain score of 95, 6W/2L

Around the low 600's puts you into the top 4.

I reckon our defensive woes throughout the year were more a reflection on what was going on further up the field. Pretty hard for anyone to defend balls coming in under little to no pressure.

I reckon our defensive woes throughout the year were more a reflection on what was going on further up the field. Pretty hard for anyone to defend balls coming in under little to no pressure.
It does make a significant contribution, however the lack of a big KPD will make a difference.
We were at our best when we were able to apply the full ground defence.

If peeps are thinking Frost is done and dusted - I'm not too sure.
The back 6 most people have looks horrendously physically undermanned.

Weddle doesn't play down back again surely - he doesn't like the body-on-body type defending (which is totally different from avoiding contact - Weddle cracks in 100%) and his run and dash are better served elsewhere.

I reckon Sam might have a surprise or two in the lineups for the pre-season games.

A couple have already been flagged.

PRE-SEASON LINE UP - Starting 22 vs * will depend on performance in pre-season and injuries.

FB: Mitchell Frost Scrimshaw
HB: Amon Blanck Sicily
C: Weddle Newcombe Ward
HF: Watson Chol Ginnivan
F: Breust Lewis Hardwick
R: Reeves Day Nash
INT: Worpel Moore Gunston C.MacDonald

Sub: Jiath

Very, very unlucky - but absolutely in the mix: McKenzie, Impey, Morrison, Maginness, Hustwaite, B.MacDonald & D'Ambrosio

I can't make a case for Meek, Ramsden, Butler, Bennetts, Stephens, Serong or DGB unless injuries occur - some of these boys need a massive season if they are to stay on the list - some are still developing.

The new draft lads need to settle - except Watson who probably gets the Rd #1 start.

After Watson, Bodie Ryan seems likely to debut the earliest after Watson.

The Amon and Hardwick moves have come from the club - but obviously the season proper may not reflect that if they don't work out in pre-season.

But gee - we suddenly have a heck of a lot more best 22 options than last year.

We should give Essendon a very good game, and beat them.

I'm sick of losing to the * TBH.

If peeps are thinking Frost is done and dusted - I'm not too sure.
The back 6 most people have looks horrendously physically undermanned.
It's far from an ideal option, but I'm starting to think we may have to play Frost, for this very reason. At least until we can trade for a monster KPD, or McCabe puts on some kilos and becomes our man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back