Game Day Round 1, 2024: Bombers v Hawks, MCG Sat 16th March

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feels good rolling into round 1 with two genuine tall KPFs, a few dangerous smalls all capable of kicking a bag, and on top of all that JACK GUNSTON IS BACK BABY!

I love all the enthusiasm, sadly I believe if we lose by less than 30 points, I would be satisfied. Hopefully I will be wrong but I can't see it.

Great Hawthorn sides over the years have had great spines. Lets review

1971 Grand Final
FB: Kelvin Moore - one of the most reliable @ FB
CHB:Norm Bussell - a tough man in a tough game
C: Geoff Angus - see norm
CHF: Alan Martello - Big man
FF: Peter Hudson!
R: Don Scott
X factor: Leigh Matthews

1976 GF
FB: Kelvin Moore
CHB Peter Knights
C: Barry Rowlings - super fast, tough little man
CHF: Alan Martello
FF: Gladys Moncrieff - dead in front he misses the goals, on the impossible angle, nails them everytime. Strange but true
R: Don Scott - again

1989 GF
FB: Chris Langford
CHB: Chris Mew
C: Anthony Condon
CHF: Dermot Brereton
FF: Jason Dunstall
R: Greg Dear - rucked all day, never lowered his colors
X factor: Should have been Gary Ayers but turned out to be Darren Pritchard and Dean Anderson after Ayers was injured in the first half.

2008 GF
FB: Stephen Gilham. Ok, he did his job but not a patch on Langford/Moore
CHB: Croad -
C: Sammy Mitchell
CHF: Lance Franklin
FF: Jarryd Roughead
R: Robert Campbell. Again, like Greg Dear, very serviceable, always in the contest
X Factor: Luke Hodge.

Now we look at our round 1 team.

FB: Frost. Lucky to be still be on the list. if McKay had come over or Blanck was not injured doubtful he would be in the team
CHB: Sicily. Due to injuries he would have been the x factor player but has to play a key role.
C: Jai Newcombe - no doubt a mini Leigh Matthews in the making
CHF: Chol - so far the only thing he has done is prove that the 2 clubs that offloaded him made the correct decision. If Premiership coach Damien Hardwick thought that Chol was an important cog in his quest to get his team into the finals I am sure he would have moved heaven and earth to keep him. Then again, what would a 3 time Premiership coach know?
FF: Lewis
R: Reeves
X factor: Should be Sicily or Newcombe. Really looking for the player who can win the game or save the game ala Hodge or Leigh Matthews by doing the impossible. There are just too few good players...at the moment. Big fan of Connor MacDonald (gives me that Jordan Lewis vibe about him). Brandon Ryan should be there but we packed @ 200cm tall forward who can mark and more importantly, go back and kick the goal and or rove his own ball. But no, lets bring back Jack Gunston. Good player but proven over the years as a multiple goal kicker in a game is only against teams that a lower on the ladder than us otherwise he is good for 1 goal a game......

I have little expectations for this year which is a shame. Hopefully I am wrong, will gladly eat my hat (as I dont have one).

I love all the enthusiasm, sadly I believe if we lose by less than 30 points, I would be satisfied. Hopefully I will be wrong but I can't see it.

1971 Grand Final

1976 GF
CHB Peter Knights
FF: Gladys Moncrieff - dead in front he misses the goals, on the impossible angle, nails them everytime. Strange but true

1989 GF
X factor: Should have been Gary Ayers but turned out to be Darren Pritchard and Dean Anderson after Ayers was injured in the first half.

2008 GF
R: Robert Campbell. Again, like Greg Dear, very serviceable, always in the contest

FB: Frost. Lucky to be still be on the list. if McKay had come over or Blanck was not injured doubtful he would be in the team
CHB: Sicily. Due to injuries he would have been the x factor player but has to play a key role.
CHF: Chol - so far the only thing he has done is prove that the 2 clubs that offloaded him made the correct decision. If Premiership coach Damien Hardwick thought that Chol was an important cog in his quest to get his team into the finals I am sure he would have moved heaven and earth to keep him. Then again, what would a 3 time Premiership coach know?
X factor: Should be Sicily or Newcombe. Really looking for the player who can win the game or save the game ala Hodge or Leigh Matthews by doing the impossible. There are just too few good players...at the moment. Big fan of Connor MacDonald (gives me that Jordan Lewis vibe about him). Brandon Ryan should be there but we packed @ 200cm tall forward who can mark and more importantly, go back and kick the goal and or rove his own ball. But no, lets bring back Jack Gunston. Good player but proven over the years as a multiple goal kicker in a game is only against teams that a lower on the ladder than us otherwise he is good for 1 goal a game......

I have little expectations for this year which is a shame. Hopefully I am wrong, will gladly eat my hat (as I dont have one).
Let's make comparisons between Premiership sides and a rebuilding side and get disappointed in life....🤦‍♂️

1971 Grand Final

1976 GF
CHB Peter Knights

1989 GF

2008 GF

That's a lot of words for a Saturday morning. And negative ones, at that.

Let me help...

We don't have to emulate the great Hawthorn sides of the past - we just have to beat an undermanned Essendon...

Do more happy!

I know so many Bombers supporters and there hasn't been one word of banter leading up to this game.

I think both sides supporters are entering this tentatively.

As Hawks fans, we just don't want a repeat of last season.
And Bombers fans are scared poo-less about losing round 1 and realising they are in for another long, pointless season.
Was meh about Parish missing but sort of relieved that Draper's not playing. Both teams have been underwhelming in the preseason so hoping we can flip the switch with a more balanced team this week. I have Nuke in my SC team so I hope he has a blinder.

1971 Grand Final

1976 GF
CHB Peter Knights

1989 GF

2008 GF

So four out of 13 premierships satisfy your criteria?

Dunno about everyone else but I'm just looking forward to the first time the ball hits the deck inside our F50 and 4+ dangerous little brown & gold clad maniacs start swarming towards the ball as the crowd goes nuts.
Can't remember the last time I was this excited by our (potential) scoring prowess

1971 Grand Final

1976 GF
CHB Peter Knights

1989 GF

2008 GF

Dude, it's pre-game of round 1 in a year where the team is widely expected to finish bottom 6.

Now is the time for unbridled displays of optimism and bravado.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 hours 15 minutes to go... can't wait.

Happy People GIF by AsmodeeGames

Was meh about Parish missing but sort of relieved that Draper's not playing. Both teams have been underwhelming in the preseason so hoping we can flip the switch with a more balanced team this week. I have Nuke in my SC team so I hope he has a blinder.
While Draper is an emergency he’s not out yet….

1971 Grand Final

1976 GF
CHB Peter Knights

1989 GF

2008 GF

So to allow an apples to apples comparison, I think you’re saying we’re going to make the GF this year but you don’t like our chances going into it, due to an underdeveloped spine.

I actually like your optimism here.

A big match for Reeves today has showed glimpses. This year is the season to see that development come thru consistently and no bigger stage to show up than today!
Will be a Intriguing dual against a seasoned veteran, the midfield does need some physical presence from your first ruck. ( in the square, around the ground or getting back in the hole).

Good luck noodle!

I'd say it's one of Mackenzie, Gunston or Mass

Pretty tough to predict ey ? You would think it would be a runner. With Gunston as another marking option off the pine.

Maybe Bruest swaps with Moore. I would be surprised if it was Finn. Praying it is not Worpel.

1971 Grand Final

1976 GF
CHB Peter Knights

1989 GF

2008 GF

Love the BF positive supporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back