Game Day Round 1, 2024 : West Coast v Port Adelaide - 1.00pm Sun 17/3 @ Adelaide Oval (A new era begins)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baffled at JJ's non-selection. Would love for one of the journos to ask Simmo at a press conference where exactly he's at (maybe in place of one of the handful of questions we get every week about Harley). Was in career-best form before his ankle injury last year.

Anyway, I feel 3 of the bench spots are locked in now - Ginbey, Brockman and Chesser. I highly doubt we'd bring Chesser over as a travelling emergency (or even sub), so he'll play.

Leaves LEdwards, Jamieson and Dewar to fill 2 bench spots (one as sub).

I'm thinking Edwards will be given the nod. Just been getting the feeling over preseason that the club rates him pretty highly and he didn't do his chances any harm in the Adelaide practice game. He was also given a lot of patience by the match committee last year through some patchy form.

So then the final bench spot is the sub, and obviously between Jamieson and Dewar, the latter makes much more sense as a sub option. Also I feel Dewar is probably in more need of minutes under his belt than Jamieson is - Jamo probably more likely to be a traveling emergency.

Would be a remarkable debut for Dewar given where he was 12 months ago.

From my OP

My likely starting 18 is :

FB: Cole Barrass Hough
HB: Duggan McGovern Ginbey
C: Gaff Kelly Hunt
HF: Cripps Darling Brockman
FF: Long Allen Waterman
R: Williams Yeo Reid
INT: Jamieson Witherden Chesser Petruccelle
SUB: Jones
EMER: Maric Edwards Barnett

The named team has Witherden and Petruccelle starting onfield instead of Ginbey and Brockman with Dewar on the extended bench in lieu of Barnett

Still think the 23 I had is what they’ll go with which means Jamieson as 2nd ruck and Maric missing out

If Dewar gets on the plane it means there’s still some doubt on Brockman playing

Bit surprised Petch is in the side, Jones bit unlucky. Still unsure what we see in Cole but he seems a lock all the time. He makes so many mistakes and gifts the opposition the ball.

Anyway lets hope improvement is seen, thats all we are looking for is effort and improvement. Very concerned that Pyke came out just last week and said we were not fit again. But lets just see.

👀

You go first

Yep, jump the fence.

Falling Down Lol GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

Bit surprised Petch is in the side, Jones bit unlucky. Still unsure what we see in Cole but he seems a lock all the time. He makes so many mistakes and gifts the opposition the ball.

Anyway lets hope improvement is seen, thats all we are looking for is effort and improvement. Very concerned that Pyke came out just last week and said we were not fit again. But lets just see.
Petch is one of several that are deserving of a chance. But with Hewett, Basso, etc, etc pushing for spots they're dining at the last chance cafe. I have no problem with this. We are developing a competitive team for future years, not aiming for finals this year.

Last edited:
Less than an hour away from finding out, but Brockman, Ginbey, Jamo to all play and Chesser and LEdwards to battle it out for final 22 spot and sub. Dewar emergency.

Weird with JJ,would understand if WAFL was back this week.
hopefully he get's a run soon and when he does I hope he explodes and proves he is best 22.

If there is any unwarranted rough stuff toward Harley I hope the Whole bloody team gets involved, stuff the fines.
Make a stand, prove a point, show we don't stand for that crap anymore.
No more soft crap like was displayed after Hewett's hit last year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Petch is one of several that are deserving of a chance. But with Hewett, Basso, etc, etc pushing for spots they're dining at the last chance cafe. I have no problem with this. We are developing a competitive team for future years, not aiming for finals this year.

Not exactly sure how he 'deserves' a chance... he has absolutely zero credits in the bank.

I'm ready to be hurt again.

Not sure about Witherden tbh. With Cole and Duggan down back there's enough slowish types. Think JJ should be miles ahead as he offers something different, especially if Hunt rotates on a wing.

Don't see how JJ isn't B22... surely at the expense of L Edwards.

If he's still getting back to full capacity from injury, surely you wouldn't bother having him listed as an emergency?

I’d say because he is a ball butcherer who whilst looking flashy can’t hit the side of a barn under pressure however we already have Cole, Duggan and Witho who also tick that box in defence.

I’d say because he is a ball butcherer who whilst looking flashy can’t hit the side of a barn under pressure however we already have Cole, Duggan and Witho who also tick that box in defence.

I’m picking the guy who butchers the ball after using his pace to break several lines of play ahead of those guys who can’t do that and still butcher the ball.

Now the side is out it’s worth shouting out that both Jamieson & Dewar should be massively applauded for the improvements they’ve made to be in the mix R1
Dewar in particular.

Don't forget he's still on the Cat B rookie list - normally a list for players who are real long shots to make it.

I remember watching him this time last year for the Beagles and he looked a really long way off even being at WAFL level. Was getting 6-7 touches a game and maybe hitting the scoreboard every 2-3 games - in any other WAFL team he'd have been dropped to Reserves level to find some form.

But he had a good run with his body and we just kept getting games into him. After months of toiling away you finally started seeing improvement - towards the end of the year his disposals were up to 15-16 a game and he was kicking goals more consistently. There was still a sense that he was a fair way off, but by the end of the year he was at least a borderline WAFL standard small forward.

When he showed up to his second preseason at the front of the running groups and looking noticeably stronger, it was a pleasant surprise. And over the summer he continued to build, showing flashes of his talent at training and having a greater impact during match sim.

To get to the point now where, with a reasonably healthy list (36/44 players available), he's even close to the round 1 team is a massive testament to his hard work over summer.

He has talent to burn and now that he's got his fitness to a good standard, I'm really excited by the prospect of him getting the most out of that talent.

By no means has he made it yet, but by getting himself to this point he's a lot further along than many other Cat B rookies have gotten over the years, and certainly a lot further than I thought he'd ever get.

Fingers crossed he can squeeze his way into the side this year and show what he's made of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back