Preview Round 1 v GWS Saturday March 19 @ 5:10 pm at Olympic Park -Lifeline Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I REALLY hate GWS as a round 1 game. We play them twice in preseason. Playing them for a 3rd time in a month is SO boring.
The only way they get a crowd to start the year at GWS, and try and get some momentum. But they're always going back to having 5k at home the next time no matter what.

Give it up AFL.
Someone hasn't taken their grumpy pants off since last year's final.

We play Swans once and Pies once in preseason I'm pretty sure.

Also, we could have played the Swans down in Canberra and then there would have been far less chance for Swans fans to come and maybe see Buddy kick his 1000th.
I think it's a good fixture (even if we are essentially giving up our home ground advantage).

Giants are growing at a great rate mate. Get used to it.
PS: It's good for NSW footy and the Swans.

Also, we could have played the Swans down in Canberra and then there would have been far less chance for Swans fans to come and maybe see Buddy kick his 1000th.
I think it's a good fixture (even if we are essentially giving up our home ground advantage).

Should have been Hawthorn R1 or 2. How the AFL managed to not see this is quite weird. Thankfully it won't happen R1 anyway.

I agree Hawthorn would have been a great match up as well. Think you probably would have pumped them though.
+Interstate wouldn't have given Swans fans the chance to see it.

Would have had them round 2, round 1 I don't care much apart from it being at Olympic Stadium or whatever terrible name they have given that stadium.

Haha yeah it's called 'Accor' or something like that.
Well I suppose you still get a chance to run on in round 2.
Tough first 3 games for Sydney.

Not really, fully expect to start quite well. Prefer a tougher start anyway, was always going to be a harder fixture this year. I don't care too much about fixtures, everyone blows up about them but the reality is, you have to beat every side to win the flag, who honestly cares. The only thing I wish the AFL used a semblance of a brain to schedule Sydney and hawthorn with Bud near 1000, it just makes sense could have even done it in Melbourne.

The biggest issue with GWS in round 1 is that it ruins a 3 week stretch in Sydney. We play them say round 5 rounds 4-6 would all be at home with less travel. Playing them in round 1 or near the bye just kills that

Exert from the undermentioned link in regard to Best 22 Team for 1st round. Have we been overlooking Matt Roberts in our pre-season chats in favour of the shiny?

SYDNEY SWANS

B:
Dane Rampe, Tom McCartin, Jake Lloyd

HB: Nick Blakey, Lewis Melican, Harry Cunningham

C: Oliver Florent, Josh Kennedy, Justin McInerney

HF: Sam Wicks, Logan McDonald, Errol Gulden

F: Isaac Heeney, Lance Franklin, Tom Papley

FOLL: Tom Hickey, Luke Parker, Callum Mills

I/C: Peter Ladhams, James Rowbottom, Braeden Campbell, Dylan Stephens

In: Peter Ladhams, Angus Sheldrick, Matthew Roberts, Corey Warner, Lachie Rankin, Paddy McCartin

Out: Jordan Dawson, George Hewett, Kaiden Brand, Sam Gray, Matthew Ling, Malachy Carruthers

WE SAY: Another club that defied pre-season expectations to make the finals, but a one-point loss to local rivals GWS in an elimination final will take some time to get over. Indeed, there’s probably no greater motivation needed than that for a team to go a step or two further. The loss of Jordan Dawson was a tough pill to swallow but with the likes of Ollie Florent, Errol Gulden, Justin McInerney, Braeden Campbell, Chad Warner and Dylan Stephens at their disposal, they still have plenty of promising talent coming through in the middle of the ground. We’ve picked Stephens, who’s played just 15 games
but impressed this off-season, ahead of Will Hayward, who’s only just returned to full contact training. Peter Ladhams comes straight in and should partner with Tom Hickey in the ruck while playing as the second tall forward, with Isaac Heeney reportedly in line for more midfield time in 2022. Key forward Hayden McLean and defender Robbie Fox are handy depth players, but Sam Reid remains in limbo without a contract. It would be a bold move for John Longmire to throw Paddy McCartin straight in for Round 1. Of the club’s draft crop, Matt Roberts is the most likely for an early debut, but it’s a tough team to break into and will take some time.

Exert from the undermentioned link in regard to Best 22 Team for 1st round. Have we been overlooking Matt Roberts in our pre-season chats in favour of the shiny?

SYDNEY SWANS

B:
Dane Rampe, Tom McCartin, Jake Lloyd

HB: Nick Blakey, Lewis Melican, Harry Cunningham

C: Oliver Florent, Josh Kennedy, Justin McInerney

HF: Sam Wicks, Logan McDonald, Errol Gulden

F: Isaac Heeney, Lance Franklin, Tom Papley

FOLL: Tom Hickey, Luke Parker, Callum Mills

I/C: Peter Ladhams, James Rowbottom, Braeden Campbell, Dylan Stephens

In: Peter Ladhams, Angus Sheldrick, Matthew Roberts, Corey Warner, Lachie Rankin, Paddy McCartin

Out: Jordan Dawson, George Hewett, Kaiden Brand, Sam Gray, Matthew Ling, Malachy Carruthers

WE SAY: Another club that defied pre-season expectations to make the finals, but a one-point loss to local rivals GWS in an elimination final will take some time to get over. Indeed, there’s probably no greater motivation needed than that for a team to go a step or two further. The loss of Jordan Dawson was a tough pill to swallow but with the likes of Ollie Florent, Errol Gulden, Justin McInerney, Braeden Campbell, Chad Warner and Dylan Stephens at their disposal, they still have plenty of promising talent coming through in the middle of the ground. We’ve picked Stephens, who’s played just 15 games
but impressed this off-season, ahead of Will Hayward, who’s only just returned to full contact training. Peter Ladhams comes straight in and should partner with Tom Hickey in the ruck while playing as the second tall forward, with Isaac Heeney reportedly in line for more midfield time in 2022. Key forward Hayden McLean and defender Robbie Fox are handy depth players, but Sam Reid remains in limbo without a contract. It would be a bold move for John Longmire to throw Paddy McCartin straight in for Round 1. Of the club’s draft crop, Matt Roberts is the most likely for an early debut, but it’s a tough team to break into and will take some time.

I reckon Roberts will be the first of the 2021 draftees to debut.

In 2023.

We were gifted cola and an academy...are we a disgrace too?

Only after years of underinvestment and neglect by the AFL/VFL... we won our flags the hard way, yet they were gifted a sublime list (which they will never have again) and were smashed in their only grand final. You all are being too nice to them.

Only after years of underinvestment and neglect by the AFL/VFL... we won our flags the hard way, yet they were gifted a sublime list (which they will never have again) and were smashed in their only grand final. You all are being too nice to them.
Carrying yourself throughout your sporting career by respecting your opponent always with respect is paramount.
Deriding someone just because is no excuse. GWS are here like it or not.

If people on here want to attack posters from other clubs just because. Then I will not frequent these pages.

Carrying yourself throughout your sporting career by respecting your opponent always with respect is paramount.
Deriding someone just because is no excuse. GWS are here like it or not.

If people on here want to attack posters from other clubs just because. Then I will not frequent these pages.

They're still a good side after their mini rebuild, but I still think of them as a plastic club. Sydney people don't really care about them all that much.

People 'you know' don't care about them.

Plenty of people care about them....ya know. Like me.

If plastic is just a word for 'new'...then sure. We are new. So was every club at some point.
History always starts somewhere mate.

Good luck to you. But you're on the Swans board mate, we can be as one eyed as we want here ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please can we talk about the game?
Most posts moved across to the dumpster off topic dumpster thread
GWS are a club with no fans, no premierships, no culture and most importantly no AFL premiership points at the end of Round 1 2022. 🥳

I'm actually really happy that we get to play the Giants round 1.

Great test for us, have we stepped up a level, how did we take the last loss of the year?

Of course, premierships aren't won in the first round, but I would like this game to be us coming out firing.

I'm actually really happy that we get to play the Giants round 1.

Great test for us, have we stepped up a level, how did we take the last loss of the year?

Of course, premierships aren't won in the first round, but I would like this game to be us coming out firing.
Nah, I’d much prefer to see us play a genuine rivalry game in round 1.

Say, West Coast.

Not a soulless franchise that seems to believe that Toby Greene is captaincy material.

Nah, I’d much prefer to see us play a genuine rivalry game in round 1.

Say, West Coast.

Not a soulless franchise that seems to believe that Toby Greene is captaincy material.
I couldn't care less who the team is, what matters is that we lost to them in the last game for us last year, and we now have a chance at redemption.

That's just a petty way to view things imo. I get having an issue with the AFL hierarchy but blaming GWS is dumbfounded.

Everyone is petty to you, RW is one of the most rational posters ever on this board .

Thanks for your support, but you don't have to stick up for me, I said my 2 cents worth, he's allowed to respond with a different opinion.

Back on topic, we really should be beating them with no Greene and Mumford having retired.

Thanks for your support, but you don't have to stick up for me, I said my 2 cents worth, he's allowed to respond with a different opinion.

Back on topic, we really should be beating them with no Greene and Mumford having retired.

Lost the final from our own boot what was it 1-8 or something in the last?

Ladlams and Hickey combo should be interesting as will be our kickouts without Dawson i think sadly its going to impact us how we move the ball as we dont have anyone to replace Dawson length and accuracy.

Lloyd doesn't have the penetration nor distance i assume we might go slow from defence maybe give Campbell a go?

It’s a boring matchup, we have to carry you every fixture, but that’s nothing new.

Lost the final from our own boot what was it 1-8 or something in the last?

Ladlams and Hickey combo should be interesting as will be our kickouts without Dawson i think sadly its going to impact us how we move the ball as we dont have anyone to replace Dawson length and accuracy.

Lloyd doesn't have the penetration nor distance i assume we might go slow from defence maybe give Campbell a go?
I think JD's kicking at goal , or delivery from the wing will be a bigger loss .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back