ROUND 1

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s backline or bust for Madge, IMO. In general I think some of the criticism levelled at him is unfair, but he doesn’t have midfield or forward potential.

For sure unfair criticsm aimed at him . The times he has come in , has been because we were scratching for KPDs and injuries had ravaged our whole defense. So he was essentially playing with other inexperienced players/defenders.

You put it simply . Backline or Bust, doesnt have midfield or forward potential

Yeah I understand but I didn’t mean round 1. My view was about seeing whether they can give him some game time in the VFL to learn that position. It will be his 3rd year actually playing AFL football so who knows he may have some upside in a position other then FB which I agree he was very ordinary at. Otherwise why are we keeping him on the list if we are bringing Dunne in? How much depth do we want for 1 position?

I feel for the kid. He's essentially been forced to play KPD due to injury issues to Dunn, Moore, Reid et al, and he's just not quite big enough for the role at senior level. The dilemma then becomes where else can he play. I think 3rd tall defender would ultimately be his best spot but he's got even more competition for spots there with Howe, Lagdon, Scharenberg et al queuing up for those spots. I'd be happy to see Madge and a few team mates trialed in a variety of spots at VFL level, wing included. If Mayne can claim a senior wing, and Oxley can make a fist of it at VFL level, then the sky is the limit.

Last edited:
I think you are being a little harsh. He has been in the system for 2 years and has played basically at full back. He definitely isn’t a full back.
He has a leap, size and strength. I don’t think he is slow. I think he doesn’t watch his man at full back and so is often caught flat footed. Probably needs to develop a tank.
Why couldn’t he be a link between defense and forward? If the ball gets kicked out to the wing and he is one-on-one, he could have an advantage in the air.

Anyway, it’s looking at something different and obviously a trial in the VFL. It couldn’t hurt. Maybe it doesn’t work out. But really you are never going to know unless you are willing to try something different.

I guess my point is that none of a leap (which I would actually question whether Madg has this or not anyway), size, or strength are really key requirements to be a good wingman. If they were, Anthony Rocca would have been a great wingman. As would Travis Cloke. Sure, if someone has one or more of these in addition to the characteristics that a good wingman has that is a bonus, but they are no substitute for the core things needed. The Hill brothers for instance are very good wingmen, and they have none of those things. Same with Sidebottom, Merrett, Kelly (Tim or Josh), Whitfield, Gaff, etc.

The role you seem to be describing for him is more of a hit up leading target out of defence, which might be his best position, but we are covering that at the moment with a WHE and Mihocek combo in the seniors, and probably have the likes of Wilson and maybe even Kelly pinned for those roles in the twos.

I actually think his best position is FB/CHB, but I don't think he'll make it.

I would love to see Daicos round 1, I don’t have him in my best 22 right now but if he gets a run Round 1, he’s on the way. It’s a breakout year for the young marvel. Book mark it.

I’m not always right just FTR

have to factor in the opposition with selection.
Bulldogs have a deep midfield that works really hard. With that in mind id love to see Rantall get a gig for Round 1 as an extra midfielder. To me he just has it. Back 7 seems pretty clear-cut to me id have Noble ahead of Quaynor. Daicos fighting with Thomas for the last Half-forward spot.

have to factor in the opposition with selection.
Bulldogs have a deep midfield that works really hard. With that in mind id love to see Rantall get a gig for Round 1 as an extra midfielder. To me he just has it. Back 7 seems pretty clear-cut to me id have Noble ahead of Quaynor. Daicos fighting with Thomas for the last Half-forward spot.
If Sier trains hard and is fit, he needs to play round 1.

Bit of a pointless exercise this far out but I'll have a crack anyways. Always good to look back.

B: Jeremy Howe - Jordan Roughead - Brayden Maynard
HB: Jack Crisp - Darcy Moore - Isaac Quaynor
C: Tom Phillips - Scott Pendlebury - Steele Sidebottom
HF: Jamie Elliott - Brody Mihocek - Jorden De Goey
F: Jaidyn Stephenson - Mason Cox - Will Hoskin-Elliott
R: Brodie Grundy - Taylor Adams - Adam Treloar
I: Josh Thomas - Callum Brown - Chris Mayne - Brayden Sier

Emergencies: Travis Varcoe, Nathan Murphy, Darcy Cameron

Bit of a pointless exercise this far out but I'll have a crack anyways. Always good to look back.

B: Jeremy Howe - Jordan Roughead - Brayden Maynard
HB: Jack Crisp - Darcy Moore - Isaac Quaynor
C: Tom Phillips - Scott Pendlebury - Steele Sidebottom
HF: Jamie Elliott - Brody Mihocek - Jorden De Goey
F: Jaidyn Stephenson - Mason Cox - Will Hoskin-Elliott
R: Brodie Grundy - Taylor Adams - Adam Treloar
I: Josh Thomas - Callum Brown - Chris Mayne - Brayden Sier

Emergencies: Travis Varcoe, Nathan Murphy, Darcy Cameron
That’s a bloody good side!

I read that Varcoe is being training as a defender, assuming to replace Greenwood, I can see him starting the season as our seventh defender ahead of Quaynor even Noble.
Honestly don’t mind the move, was really struggling in the front half, he has pace, and will make any forward sweat, Leon Davis inspired move??
Varcoe has never exhibited a defensive side. Never.
This would be the ultimate teaching an old dog new tricks move.

We don't have a great recent record in round 1 games.
Can we just skip straight to round 2?
Perhaps we could request our bye be round 1?

Doggies should be pretty confident. :(

Varcoe has never exhibited a defensive side. Never.
This would be the ultimate teaching an old dog new tricks move.

Unfortunately you are correct on this. Not only that but not good under a high ball.
Can't see it working.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back