Preview Round 10, 2022: Hawks v Lions, UTAS 3.20pm Sunday 22nd May

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading Fox sport review of BHH, and it seems Ward was disappointing with only 7 disposals. Makes you wonder if they may have been a reason for it…
Really? Anyone with inside info as to why? Is he carrying an injury. He was a first round pick.

How are so many people in here quoting posts about Ward being disappointing with only 7 touches but missing the other posts explaining that it was because he suffered a head knock and missed the final 3 quarters? It's as mind numbingly frustrating as the journalists who printed the completely incorrect information in the first place.
All had a head knock half way through the thread maybe ?

I apologise for over estimating BF posters. I watched the BH match and was well aware of the injury. My post was a dig at the quality of journalism. Some picked that up,
I thought the irony in your post was reasonable easy to detect...but apparently not.

A few cranky pants posts have been deleted...only ONE person was unaware Ward was subbed early...and now they know.

Crisis averted.

Disgusted with Ward’s effort.

On another note has anyone noticed how quiet Kurt Cobain has been over the last couple of decades? Over rated hack and shows no consistency.
Reminds me of a SEN segment a few weeks back where they were talking about AFL legends who disappeared off the radar after retirement, who have been keeping a very low profile post-football.

Usual suspects were mentioned...Plugger, Royce Hart, etc...

Guy rings up..."John Coleman! What's he been up to??"

They had to break the sad news to him...

Callow at home in Tassie has a nice ring to it.

Thought Harry has been flat the last couple. 1/3rd thru the season time.to refresh the side a bit. Am keen to see Downie Saunders get a run and Butler stay in the side.

Not sure Long helps us much to be honest as he's a plodder and not all that penetrating. If we drop worpel not sure Long is an upgrade we need to try a different type.

Callow at home in Tassie has a nice ring to it.

Thought Harry has been flat the last couple. 1/3rd thru the season time.to refresh the side a bit. Am keen to see Downie Saunders get a run and Butler stay in the side.

Not sure Long helps us much to be honest as he's a plodder and not all that penetrating. If we drop worpel not sure Long is an upgrade we need to try a different type.
Long is a different type to Worpel.
Long is a straight ahead bullocking, tackling mid. Slow, but strong.
Worpel thinks he has the speed of Chris Judd, the vision of Sam Mitchell and the skills of Darren Jarman.

Long is a different type to Worpel.
Long is a straight ahead bullocking, tackling mid. Slow, but strong.
Worpel thinks he has the speed of Chris Judd, the vision of Sam Mitchell and the skills of Darren Jarman.
Our problem starts in the centre square. We get slaughtered on the spread and Worps is part of that problem because he lacks agility. Long wouldn't help it. I am advocating for a change in the mix get some speed in there.

Our problem starts in the centre square. We get slaughtered on the spread and Worps is part of that problem because he lacks agility. Long wouldn't help it. I am advocating for a change in the mix get some speed in there.
Tiges killed us with spread. Was worse than a sandwich bar

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tiges killed us with spread. Was worse than a sandwich bar
The weekend brought out Morrison's weaknesses. I am great supporter of his because he has improved ten fold. I want Morrison kicking it inside 50. However he just couldn't go with his opponents his lack of leg speed hurt us. He couldn't defend not from a want of trying. We need to get more leg speed in. Long isn't getting 30 every week. He would need that for the change to be productive as it would hurt us on defence with his lack of leg speed.

It wouldn't be like for like for Worpel but we need to try someone like Morris who would then release others to play mid wing

The weekend brought out Morrison's weaknesses. I am great supporter of his because he has improved ten fold. I want Morrison kicking it inside 50. However he just couldn't go with his opponents his lack of leg speed hurt us. He couldn't defend not from a want of trying. We need to get more leg speed in. Long isn't getting 30 every week. He would need that for the change to be productive as it would hurt us on defence with his lack of leg speed.

It wouldn't be like for like for Worpel but we need to try someone like Morris who would then release others to play mid wing
Morris has a flat searing kick on him as well. He could switch play from half back with pace using that kick.

Disgusted with Ward’s effort.

On another note has anyone noticed how quiet Kurt Cobain has been over the last couple of decades? Over rated hack and shows no consistency.
No sh!t Einstein, who by the way has been quiet of late, and needs to lift his research game. O wait...

No sh!t Einstein, who by the way has been quiet of late, and needs to lift his research game. O wait...
Einstein at least put out something recently. Newton on the other hand has been living off dropped apples for years.....

Not to disagree entirely as I think you are right but also the way we position our wingman means they almost always let their opponent get goal side when the opposition is spreading towards their forward fifty. Leg speed won’t solve that strategy issue. We need to win at the coal face to stop that being a concern and take advantage of our forward positioning of our wings.

It's all relative really.If you find a way to travel faster than the speed of light you may see them still do their handywork.
Mind you ,you might need to sail to their place of work.

Not to disagree entirely as I think you are right but also the way we position our wingman means they almost always let their opponent get goal side when the opposition is spreading towards their forward fifty. Leg speed won’t solve that strategy issue. We need to win at the coal face to stop that being a concern and take advantage of our forward positioning of our wings.
Yeah we are definitely set up aggressively but part of the problem is he can't get close there is no inferred pressure to kick it quickly. Morrison has a lot of great traits and strengths perhaps we can work with them and Mitchell seems to have that philosophy.

OUT - Worpel, Gunston, Bramble, Morrison
IN - CJ, Mitchell, Morris, Saunders

Bramble hurts us on the defensive side, so really would like to try Morris, good 1 v 1 and has got toe and kicks well.
Would love to see how Saunders goes at AFL level, has got speed and loves to tackle which we are lacking in forward half.

Last edited:
With how aggressive our wings are set up if we get a clearance it needs to be a deep ball inside 50 or running it out via handballs.

If we started winning more clearances but they were more shallow entries that are easily cut off we will end up in a lot of trouble as our wings would be horribly out of position as we saw in the saints game. And our wings definitely aren’t quick enough to shut down the space. Where as with a long entry they are in perfect position to defend.

And the same when we lose a clearance if we can intercept it we are out and able to rebound quickly.

It’s been a constant issue when we’ve faced teams with quick wings - players like Morrison (or howe) just gets burnt on transition. Yes at times it’s due to positioning but also just often pure leg speed. Speed and gut running can cover a lot in a wing. Play can change and suddenly you’re out of position and need to move quickly - a few metres is the difference of closing space for an outlet / putting on pressure vs an easy goal - it’s a pretty thankless role these days.

Perfect opportunity for Long to take gunners role as a hf . Doesn't mind playing as a Frwd, in fact he'd be a tough match up for oppo defences but obviously it's hard to know until he's tried out.

Yup, he's a Russell Morris type in my eyes. Better as a mobile marking half forward who can get around on the run to make constant marking option with a bit of forward craft.
Love to see him tried out in that role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back