Game Day Round 10 vs. Adelaide, MCG, 1:45pm Sat 18/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the club say OP?

Not explicitly

But when asked about whether it was Fly said something along the lines of "heading in that direction" or words to that effect

There is no way you can make Richards the sub after that performance. He and Sullivan need to be rewarded. I know it's a small sample size, but they both look ready-made, they have been clean and fast around the contest.
Markov or Schultz the sub for mine. Markov has clearly not found his 2023 form, and I love Schultz's endeavour, but he has been nowhere near as clean as Sullivan and Richards and he has made some real blunders in his last few games. Plus he got suspended, so he needs to earn his spot back.

Yeah Schultz for me

Losing Yeo was a major blow to WC’s midfield.
No doubt

But I'd argue losing Mihocek, De Goey, Mitchell, Howe in game, Elliott and Beau was a blow to both our midfield and forward line

Not dismissing our outs, but we were able to cover the 2 mids we were missing with 2 guys who have won Copelands in there, and arguably the best young mid in the league.

I'm not arguing that Yeo being out didn't have an impact. Just not sure it would have been the difference between a win and a loss

Carlton's midfield was stacked and we still did a number on them too

We quelled Tim Kelly's influence too. Also Dom Sheed didn't play well whereas last year Dom got the 3 Brownlow votes. I'd argue Waterman's absence had a bigger impact than Yeo myself

I'm not arguing that Yeo being out didn't have an impact. Just not sure it would have been the difference between a win and a loss

We quelled Tim Kelly's influence too. Also Dom Sheed didn't play well whereas last year Dom got the 3 Brownlow votes. I'd argue Waterman's absence had a bigger impact than Yeo myself
What about their other KF, he goes alright. Either way, we still would've smashed them

Pretty sure Howe was injured, so we may look at the flexibility with the ability to move a Frampton forward.
Hopefully when Dean does play senior footy again, you won't be sitting in the stands cheering him on, and that you will be cheering for his opponent to give him a bath, or you one of those fair-weather supporters that only support the team or individuals when they're doing well?
I would think Frampton will be KPD hereon in, and ‘break glass’ option if both Cameron and Cox are injured.

On that performance, we’d likely have still won even if they had Yeo, Waterman, and Allen all playing. But the discussion was about our midfield dominance creating opportunity for our small forwards as we were often just running out the front of stoppages. Yeo would have mitigated that. He’s been their dominant mid all year and the Weagles just don’t have the luxury of swinging a Crisp or Pendlebury in there to cover his absence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I only saw their post saying kpf who was missing. Allen hasn't played for weeks.

I know...

He's basically been out all year. Again, which is why I didn't mention him. Same way I didn't mention McStay as an out for us.

But let's leave it because this is dragging out unnecessarily

There is no way you can make Richards the sub after that performance. He and Sullivan need to be rewarded. I know it's a small sample size, but they both look ready-made, they have been clean and fast around the contest.
Markov or Schultz the sub for mine. Markov has clearly not found his 2023 form, and I love Schultz's endeavour, but he has been nowhere near as clean as Sullivan and Richards and he has made some real blunders in his last few games. Plus he got suspended, so he needs to earn his spot back.

It might be stiff to make Richards or Sullivan the sub but it was also stiff to drop Johnson after kicking 3(?) last year, but that's where he sat in the pecking order at that time. If a JDG comes back and pushes Sully back into sub then so be it.

He hasn't played for weeks...but Waterman has been exceptional as their kpf this year in his absence. He was a big loss for them on Sunday, along with Yeo.
It's a bit of a moot point because we have proven that our culture and game plan will beat anyone. I hope people move with the times a bit more and realise that in today's football, you have to have the right systems and processes, and the rest will take care of itself

It's a bit of a moot point because we have proven that our culture and game plan will beat anyone. I hope people move with the times a bit more and realise that in today's football, you have to have the right systems and processes, and the rest will take care of itself

I feel that for me personally, this 2024 Season has shown me more than any other in the past that System/Buy-in is so much more important than talent

Don't get me wrong, there's limits to it (and maybe we're hitting that point with 7 starters missing and another 7 or so depth missing) but I look at us, I look at Carlton and all the missing players and yet both are still playing well

Richmond of course is the other side of the coin where they've gone past the point of no return and no matter what your system, you've simply lost too much talent to cope

Last edited:
I feel that for me personally, this 2024 Season has shown me more than any other in the past that System/Buy is so much more important than talent

Don't get me wrong, there's limits to it (and maybe we're hitting that point with 7 starters missing and another 7 or so depth missing) but I look at us, I look at Carlton and all the missing players and yet both are still playing well

Richmond of course is the other side of the coin where they've gone past the point of no return and no matter what your system, you've simply lost too much talent to cope
We've been undersized and undermanned for the last two and a half years and still managed a flag and are right in it again. There really is no excuses in today's football for any of these things, unless you are a young developing side like norf

I was only pointing out their current kpf Waterman was the one out on Sunday along with Yeo. It no doubt affected Eagles system more than our outs did.

I wish to god I'd never bothered commenting on this in the first place.

Let's leave it hey.

On that performance, we’d likely have still won even if they had Yeo, Waterman, and Allen all playing. But the discussion was about our midfield dominance creating opportunity for our small forwards as we were often just running out the front of stoppages. Yeo would have mitigated that. He’s been their dominant mid all year and the Weagles just don’t have the luxury of swinging a Crisp or Pendlebury in there to cover his absence.
Pies won by 11 goals, and it reaslistically should have been more. Nobody could reasonably argue that their 'Outs' from last week would have seriously influenced the result. Perhaps the inclusion of Yeo and Waterman may have changed the margin, but I doubt that it would have been by more than three-to-four goals.

Our midfield seems to have clicked and we have turned a weakness into a strentgh in a very short time. I cannot see Adelaide materially influencing our centre clearance dominance this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back