Game Day Round 10 vs. Adelaide, MCG, 1:45pm Sat 18/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am assuming that JDG and Mitchell will not play. I don't want Frampton forward. Perhaps Dean has to come in given his VFL performance, but this seems a week tailor made for Kreuger given the loss of Howe.
Why? De Goey & Mitchell were both meant to only miss this one, no?

Even so, I'd be okay with a smaller forward line. It doesn't hurt us that much

The good news is that this game is at the MCG and not AO, and that none of the injuries incurred today appear to be ultra serious (though concussion is always a worry).
Need to look at worst case scenarios, when all of JDG, Titch, Beau, Checkers, Howe, Jamie, HH, Bytel are unavailable, and go from there.
It is hard to decide on how to cover for Jeremy Howe.
The natural choice is Dean, who was listed as an emergency for this game. But if Dean comes in, he is only prepared to play down back, and then we have no real option for a tall forward (I don't want to see Frampton moved away from his role in defence - I thought he was great today, and we want our defence to keep synergising. He has become pivotal within that).
Begg is great at ground level, but is not a genuine ruckman. Could he come in at CHF, to occasionally take ruck contests in our F50, and to help get the ball to ground level where he excels, as well as our other small forwards (Bobby, Schulz, Richards)?
I don't know how Kreuger played in the VFL, but noted that at least he did not get injured!!
I think we have enough midfield depth, with Fin and Sullivan both playing, and with Naicos, Crisp, Pendles, Lippa, all hitting fine form through the midfield.
In the worst case scenario I would go:
OUT: Howie, HH, Bytel (all inj)
IN: Schultz, Begg, Kreuger (SUB)

In: Johnson, Dean, Schultz
Out: Harrison, Bytel, Howe
Sub: Markov

Dean back in place of Markov, he was BOG in the VFL and I think we need a taller defender to play the Howe role against Adelaide. I like Sidebottom down back though so I’d keep him there.

Johnson has been good in the VFL the last three weeks. We need another marking forward up there, even with McGovern gone Barrass dominated the air.

In: Johnson, Dean, Schultz
Out: Harrison, Bytel, Howe
Sub: Markov

Dean back in place of Markov, he was BOG in the VFL and I think we need a taller defender to play the Howe role against Adelaide. I like Sidebottom down back though so I’d keep him there.

Johnson has been good in the VFL the last three weeks. We need another marking forward up there, even with McGovern gone Barrass dominated the air.
Is this the resurrection of AJ?
Fills me with trepidation and excitement.
Would he work as a sub?
Like to see with the pressure out of the game maybe?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why? De Goey & Mitchell were both meant to only miss this one, no?

Even so, I'd be okay with a smaller forward line. It doesn't hurt us that much
I think it will against quality sides. As games wear on and the pressure is red hot you just have to have those players you can use the "get out of jail" kick on top of their heads knowing at worst there will be a contest and the ball will come to ground.

Smaller players like Howe and Reef get tired leaping and competing against much bigger opponents. I think Cox and Kreuger might relieve some pressure and bring our mosquito fleet into the game.

I guess it depends whether we want Maynard to play tall on a Walker/Himmelberg or bring Dean back in.

I'd probably lean towards Maynard playing tall and getting WHE to play back as the intercept defender.
Hurts us up forward, where WHE has been helpful as the 3rd tall

Think Harrison will get up
If so I would do

Out Howe in Krueger
Out bytel in Schultz
Sub Richards

If Harrison out in Allan
Given Adelaide's aerial forward firepower, surely Dean has to come in as Howe's replacement, to support Moore and Frampton? He was BOG in the VFL.

I do like the idea of Kreuger up forward though. He was also v.good in the VFL. Gives us a real physical presence and creates chaos for our smalls to cash in on. Adelaide will be much tougher than WCoast. We'll need another big forward marking target.

Last edited:
Crispy, Nick and Pendles have to stay as the midfield, as Crispy in particular has been a game changer since he returned.

Like many have said, wouldn't be against Jordy spending some time forward.

Titch is the questionable one

I can't recall what Elliott's injury was. I checked the injury update on the site but he wasn't mentioned and I got the impression from Fly's press conference that he wasn't coming back anytime soon.

Hope I heard it wrong or misinterpreted what was said.

I can't recall what Elliott's injury was. I checked the injury update on the site but he wasn't mentioned and I got the impression from Fly's press conference that he wasn't coming back anytime soon.

Hope I heard it wrong or misinterpreted what was said.
A vague reference somewhere to back soreness? Alarm bells a bit because he’s invaluable.

All these injuries. Aren’t good at any point. Also interesting to see so many injuries to players across a lot of teams at present.

But I would prefer (outside of the obvious not at all) we cop injuries now rather than end of year heading into the finals.

Keep banking as many wins we can same as last year when we lost players; Cox, Cameron, McStay etc and then make a big assault at the finals when we get our best players back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back