Autopsy Round 11, 2024 : Hawks poach the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing about Chol is he's pretty hard working. I don't know what game the "Chol is lazy" types watch but he's basically a Reject Shop Nick Riewoldt in the amount of time he spends up the field and leading back, the number of tackles inside 50 he lays and the amount of running he does to be available.

Controversial but there is a stereotype of laziness attributed to black players that Chol seems to have attracted - in the same way indigenous players are always "magical" instead of a recognition of the work they do to be able to do that.
He’s at his third club, his whole career his work rate has been questioned.

Any chance that maybe the penny has dropped for the bloke and now he is putting in? Have you actually looked into his numbers at his previous clubs before playing the racist card bullshit?

The thing about Chol is he's pretty hard working. I don't know what game the "Chol is lazy" types watch but he's basically a Reject Shop Nick Riewoldt in the amount of time he spends up the field and leading back, the number of tackles inside 50 he lays and the amount of running he does to be available.

Controversial but there is a stereotype of laziness attributed to black players that Chol seems to have attracted - in the same way indigenous players are always "magical" instead of a recognition of the work they do to be able to do that.
Why bring the colour of his skin into anything he does…

Here is a good stat! Dylan Moore has kicked 16 goals and just 2 behinds this year.

Situation: Moore almost took a mark in the goal square … kept his feat, took the ball and … but for the excellent Lester smother… Moore’s kick was on target to go through the goals.

Dylan Moore is a gun. He does everything right… and moore. 👍😅

I once thought the excellent ability of Zak Bailey was what the Hawks needed. But Zak was “meh” , while Dylan was “oh hell yes”.

Mark McKenzie and Sam Mitchell are building a team that has the least high draft picks EVER… that is feared by every team.

The story that will be told starts with belief. And our guy now have that.

Here is a good stat! Dylan Moore has kicked 16 goals and just 2 behinds this year.

Situation: Moore almost took a mark in the goal square … kept his feat, took the ball and … but for the excellent Lester smother… Moore’s kick was on target to go through the goals.

Dylan Moore is a gun. He does everything right… and moore. 👍😅

I once thought the excellent ability of Zak Bailey was what the Hawks needed. But Zak was “meh” , while Dylan was “oh hell yes”.

Mark McKenzie and Sam Mitchell are building a team that has the least high draft picks EVER… that is feared by every team.

The story that will be told starts with belief. And our guy now have that.

Jai Newcombe went number 2. We do have some high draft picks in there.

That podcast is SO worth a listen if any Hawk supporter can make the time.
Sam is freakin brilliant, in what he says, how he says it, in how he pictures getting success, and of his own place in getting us there.
At the very very end, Iz asks him something along the lines of 'what excites him about the coming future of this team'.....
and he tells Iz that the players are on the absolute precipice of taking the team forward themselves, that the Club is theirs to drive forward, and that they are bought in in such a way that they 'have this' and don't need the coach to make clear what's necessary for them to get success.

I reckon there's every chance the players heard the podcast post Port and pre Brissy, because what unfolded in the Brisbane game is EXACTLY what Sam was describing.
A poster earlier in this thread said 'Were Here' or 'We've arrived'.
It's true.
The rest of the comp just don't know it yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CJ only had 10 touches but he had a couple of really good moments.
Building nicely back to his best.
He’s like Day just having his presence there makes a huge difference. One contest in the last he spoiled in the air then got up and laid a tackle and effected a stoppage. No stat but major influence. Like Day he’s worth 2 players for what he brings. Sides have to play close to him to risk being burned with speed.

I remember a game against Brisbane in 05 at the MCG that also signalled to me that things were going in the right direction.
I actually bought a DVD of that game off "name a game". Watched it a million times - it's when Buddy and Roughy showed they were gonna be something special.

It has been said already all season, but Massimo is a gun.
Composure, vision, great left peg and not afraid.
Regularly hitting kicks with little time and space.
Thought he was great yesterday but played a bit too unselfishly, I think if he’s got the ball and he’s open within 40-50m of the goals then he should be having a shot at goal rather than passing to someone leading deep to the pocket.

Did it a couple of times where I thought he should’ve had a peg at goal but passed it instead, imagine his game with 2 goals next to his name

I watched the game on replay last night and it was an interest comment made that we had 3x runs of 4 goals. We're starting to do to teams what they did to us earlier in the season.

Seeing Will Day and the way he just makes the whole stoppage do what he wants is pretty amazing to watch. Looked like he was not playing midfield in the third when Lions had momentum.

I think the most pleasing part of the day was beating a decent side PROPERLY. Can't call it luck, can't having the rub of the green, or cos of injuries to them ,or any of that.

It's very interesting to see what difference Dear has made to the team as well. He's provided something that we haven't had for a while and I can't put my finger on it. 5 goals in 4 games is a neat start to his career.

I watched the game on replay last night and it was an interest comment made that we had 3x runs of 4 goals. We're starting to do to teams what they did to us earlier in the season.

Seeing Will Day and the way he just makes the whole stoppage do what he wants is pretty amazing to watch. Looked like he was not playing midfield in the third when Lions had momentum.

I think the most pleasing part of the day was beating a decent side PROPERLY. Can't call it luck, can't having the rub of the green, or cos of injuries to them ,or any of that.

It's very interesting to see what difference Dear has made to the team as well. He's provided something that we haven't had for a while and I can't put my finger on it. 5 goals in 4 games is a neat start to his career.
Day was also removed from the midfield in the final quarter against Port. He was used too defensively.

Right so I usually give it till the next day before commenting on our games so that I can digest the game and think about how we performed

A few thoughts. Firstly great win we are in rich vein of form its always good to bank the wins.
Getting down to how the game unfolded. Brisbane actually came out hot and we were lucky not to be 3 goals down early. However it goes with how modern football is played. You have periods of dominance and the opposition if they are any good will have theirs. Its all about limiting the damage when they get a run on and maximising your opportunities when we r running hot. The best teams have other teams get a run on against them. Its just about stemming the flow

We have done that. We almost did that last week. We just didn't have the experience on the park that we had this week. We have matured as a team. Brisbane never kicked more than 3 goals in a row. Yes they kicked poorly but that's the game.

Our ball movement was slick and inside 50s when we were running hot were A grade. Yes we missed quite a few kicks but even the best teams do that.

You need to understand that guys like Amon and Sic will miss kicks that will cost us goals but they will more than likely hit more than they miss. Just watch them. They pull off some amazing game changing kicks that get us out in the open.

Day what can you say about this kid we missed him. The general dynamic of our midfield has changed with his presence. He had Dunkley follow him around after the first. A superstar and will be one of the games greats when he finishes playing.

Sic well the break did him good. Not because he needed but it got him to appreciate the other defenders he had beside him. To trust them to do their job. All he needed to do was focus on his own and be James ****ing Sicily. That kick in the last was vintage James.

Worps was a man on a mission. He had a couple of quiet weeks and he wanted remind everyone that he is still part of the future of this club. The start of the last Worps was at the bottom of every pack. His kicking and composure and improved out of sight and some of his delivery inside 50 was sublime. He willed us over the line in that last qtr and brought his teammates jai and nashy with him

Mass and Amon did their jobs Mass has been incredible since coming over. Their kicking skills and composure have been invaluable over the last few weeks.

CJ only got 10 possessions but my word he covers the ground. No wonder they pulled him out last week and I still believe him going off was one of the reasons we lost that game. It was the right decision however. He is building into the game. Doing a power of defensive running and will be handful when he is in tune with the rest of the side. He is great overhead and can run like the bloody wind.

Meeky a warrior effort this week. Came back on after the injury to soldier on following on from his captain's example. We needed him out there Yes Oscar probably played better than him in the second half but he limited the damage. Thats all we wanted him to do after a great first half and injury.

Chol and Dear have a great synergy hardly ever go up for the same ball and playing like they have played with each other for several years.

Gunners what a return. To the ppl that doubted his inclusion you need to know there are other ppl that know a lot more than you do. Forget his impact on the game. His tutoring of Dear is fast tracking his development. Each game he is playing is like 10 games of AFL. He has worked really hard at training to fix his goal kicking and i was happy to see that hard work pay off yesterday.

Punk. What can i say i choked up when the BREEEEUUSSTTT chant went up when he kicked it to gunners in the last. What a champion. Yes he is still bothered by his injury. Its why he is sub. What an impact and loved that he kicked the last to put the icing on the cake.

I could go on and on but I will stop here. Aren't we spoiled as a supporter group. The bad times and the bad losses are always made up by wins like today. Onwards and upwards bring on Adelaide and Gunners' 250th. Hope we can get 50k+ at the G next week. See u all there.

Ginnie through exposure to Collingwood's system is a mile ahead of most of our players in terms of situational awareness and positioning. That last stoppage against Port look at him and what he's doing - CMacdonald ignores him and lets the ball out.

He did the same against the Saints as the game was on the line. He's just smarter than nearly all of our players from having been there.
I'm not convinced its the Collingwood system. I think it is more to do with his footy smarts. Think Sam has given him more license than he had at Collingwood and it is showing.

My ramblings from the win, most has been mentioned

• Will Day - A grader BOG for mine
  • Massa recruit of the year
  • Frosty :clapping::clapping::clapping:
  • Meek held his own against the Big O, the most improved on our list
  • Old Jack was great beat Andrews
  • Young Jack was brilliant, getting him up the ground has been a master stroke.
  • Worpel outstanding, unsure how 28 touches only get you 75 AF points :shrug:
  • Dear a natural footballer, not an athlete trying to play football. Upside is scary
  • Sic kicking is elite
  • Really wasn't sure how we would rebound after last week, good signs we are building resilience in the group.
  • still more improvement to come this season, enjoy the ride.
  • Wonder if the pies watched the last 6 minutes
Go Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back