Preview Round 11, 2024 : Hawks v Lions, 1:10pm Sunday 26th May, Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure it’s anything structurally operable?

I tend to be in the camp where I agree some players just can’t mentally accept not being 100%. Burgs trained according to the state of his knees and found ways to stay fit enough and strong enough to have major impact.

Some blokes can carry stuff… some can’t.

I’ve worked with dozens of players who managed major knee soreness and still got on the park on match day.

Chol off a PCL… limited preseason and I’m sure weekly major soreness is still putting himself out there… and having to carry a burden of being the number 1 key forward when he was never recruited to be such. (Yet our supporters have the gall to mock and boo him… DISGRACEFUL)
Yes. A fair portion of Mitch's problem appears to be psychological now.
The club has now realised there's absolutely no point putting him out there unless he's 110% confident in his body. Or he can't perform.

You're right, some can perform regardless, even if at 70% fitness..not Mitch.

Outs:

Sam Mitchell - horrendous coaching performance for the last 40 minutes which cost us the game (emotional statement but still true)
Bruest - hurts to say this because he has been a true champion of the club but he is cooked. The game has gone past him speed wise and he hasnt applied forward pressure for the past 3 years
Serong - unlucky but just needs to keep chipping away at Box Hill and will get other opportunities

Ins:

Brett Ratten - just like Jeffrey wanted to do with Clarko, give Mitch a spell!
Sicily - as many have mentioned, with Phillips and Frost locking down, should see him freed up
Scrimshaw - after a slow burn has finally found the consistently which we have been looking for

be patient?

most unhinged post I've seen

Breust has looked well off the pace so far this season.

Though he started slowly last season too (8 goals in 6 games) and then ended up finishing really strongly. Maybe he's just easing into this season too?

The biggest difference is we now have Watson and Ginnivan who should both be playing, so there isn't a guaranteed spot for Breust in the side. He may not get the chance to play consistently and work into the season.

I hope you’re correct and Breust can kick 40 goals to go out on top, he’s just not shown anything to suggest that will happen and we are not in a position to carry 32yo passengers.

With Watson, Ginnivan, and Hardwick we look a lot better than we do with Breust in the forward line. Still have Frenchy and CMac to fit in our forward group as well.

I hope you’re correct and Breust can kick 40 goals to go out on top, he’s just not shown anything to suggest that will happen and we are not in a position to carry 32yo passengers.

With Watson, Ginnivan, and Hardwick we look a lot better than we do with Breust in the forward line. Still have Frenchy and CMac to fit in our forward group as well.

I doubt he's going to finish as strongly as last season. Who knows, but age will catch up with him at some point. The biggest hurdle are the other players that can play the same position, there are three more now compared to last season. Wingard is on his way back too.

Yes. A fair portion of Mitch's problem appears to be psychological now.
The club has now realised there's absolutely no point putting him out there unless he's 110% confident in his body. Or he can't perform.

You're right, some can perform regardless, even if at 70% fitness..not Mitch.
And I think the other thing that is really important to note… is that the more you open someone’s knee up… the more damage that is done. The scar might be minute… but once you open a joint up you might alleviate todays problem but you’re creating more issues for the future. If you can settle a knee without surgery you always should… (unless of course there is structural damage)

Dear Sam

Please could we have a sub that is under 30, not coming off an injury, isn't a 200cm 6 position a game player or under 175cm.
That would be spiffing.

Cost us 2 games has a rubbish sub.

If there is a 3rd one, it's quite reasonable to expect fans to be upset.

Oh yes - Amon is a winger, not a defender so if you could not make him responsible for saving the game in the last 5 seconds, he'd probably appreciate it too.

If Sicily is good to go time to be brave and bold and provide our mids with some serious targets up forward. Scrimshaw comes into defence…keep Philips in for structure at CHB which allows scrimshaw to intercept.

I’d Play Sicily forward to ease some pressure off Dear. And structure up so at all times during the game we have 3 of Chol / Dear / Sicily / Hardwick up forward to be able to provide a real marking presence in the forward line. Which then allows the smalls to do their thing of providing pressure.

We have nothing to lose.
Absolutely couldnt agree more with this. Sicily foward will transform this team

As for Breust, champion player, but I’ve seen nothing from him in the first 10 weeks that makes me think he should be getting a game unless we have too many injuries in the forward line. For now he should go back to Box Hill and can compete on form with Wingard for a spot if an opening comes up.

If Sicily is good to go time to be brave and bold and provide our mids with some serious targets up forward. Scrimshaw comes into defence…keep Philips in for structure at CHB which allows scrimshaw to intercept.

I’d Play Sicily forward to ease some pressure off Dear. And structure up so at all times during the game we have 3 of Chol / Dear / Sicily / Hardwick up forward to be able to provide a real marking presence in the forward line. Which then allows the smalls to do their thing of providing pressure.

We have nothing to lose.
Agree, could start him forward, then down back in red time each quarter. The interchangeability, yep it’s a word! Between Hardwick and Sicily could really give oppo teams headaches, they are both fantastic marks, Ethan Philips could be the catalyst for change .

Agree, could start him forward, then down back in red time each quarter. The interchangeability, yep it’s a word! Between Hardwick and Sicily could really give oppo teams headaches, they are both fantastic marks, Ethan Philips could be the catalyst for change .
I was thinking the same thing on the weekend.

To have Sicily and Hardwick rotating between forward and back would make us very dangerous. It's also slightly revolutionary thinking in AFL. I can't think of an example of a player being used like Hardwick has been in modern times.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

To have Sicily and Hardwick rotating between forward and back would make us very dangerous. It's also slightly revolutionary thinking in AFL. I can't think of an example of a player being used like Hardwick has been in modern times.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Hird.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Sicily ;)

As for Breust, champion player, but I’ve seen nothing from him in the first 10 weeks that makes me think he should be getting a game unless we have too many injuries in the forward line. For now he should go back to Box Hill and can compete on form with Wingard for a spot if an opening comes up.
Breust played the first few games carrying an injury and had a limited pre season, the injury has since been sorted and he has played a total of 2 quarters of footy. I would like to see him play a few full games before writing him off. I thought he may have been tapering off before last season, but was proven wrong. Happy to give him the chance to prove himself.

Hird ran through the middle mostly. Hodge is another good one. Burgoyne too.

Sicily has said he wants to run through the middle. I can't see it really happening this season, though it would be interesting to watch.

But IMO if anyone on our list was going to become that kind of player it would be Day. I reckon he could become a dangerous forward, and he's already a gun midfielder and a gun backman.

I appreciate all the players named, but I don't think any have been used as a goal-kicking forward thrown into the back pocket of the last five minutes of every quarter. An example I can think of is Carlton doing it with Curnow a bit.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm going to bet Wilt Chamberlain did it

Breust played the first few games carrying an injury and had a limited pre season, the injury has since been sorted and he has played a total of 2 quarters of footy. I would like to see him play a few full games before writing him off. I thought he may have been tapering off before last season, but was proven wrong. Happy to give him the chance to prove himself.
Absolutely, but would prefer he go back to VFL like Wingard and if he can get his form back, force his way in on form. On what he's produced 10 weeks in, he shouldn't be playing seniors. He just seems well off the pace.

Absolutely, but would prefer he go back to VFL like Wingard and if he can get his form back, force his way in on form. On what he's produced 10 weeks in, he shouldn't be playing seniors. He just seems well off the pace.
He has had 11 disposals and kicked 1 goal in the last 2 quarters he has played. Very unlucky not to receive a free for his tackle on Aliir in the front 50 on the weekend. Those numbers seem to be ok for a forward pocket and he has the runs on the board. Was named in the All Australian squad just last year.

He has had 11 disposals and kicked 1 goal in the last 2 quarters he has played. Very unlucky not to receive a free for his tackle on Aliir in the front 50 on the weekend. Those numbers seem to be ok for a forward pocket and he has the runs on the board. Was named in the All Australian squad just last year.
Was very good last year. Has been very poor this year. He's at an age where last year's form can't be relevant to selection

Correct me if I'm wrong.
pfff.
When I coached under 12's I often had our best player at CHF with the wind and CHB against it
. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back